Where did you buy your first gun?

Ruger 10/22 from Service Merchandise, Stoughton, MA. The dot matrix printed reciept says I payed $89.99.

That was my first also! Back in 1971, I think I paid around $70.00 or so from a small gun shop in Malden, long since gone.

I still have the 10/22 and last year I sent to Ruger to have it 'tune-up'. They did it FREE of charge and free return shipping. I then sent my Mini14 for the same deal.

Last edited:
I bought a S&W 6906 and a Glock 20 from Collector's back when it was Collector's Coin Gallery at the original location. I was still a novice shooter and only 22, but I still get PO'd when I think about how badly the owner treated me as a customer. Sometimes I wonder why I ever bought anything from the guy. I guess I thought it was the best deal at the time and put up with his crap. I don't remember the owner's name but will never forget his condescending sneer and piss poor customer service skills.
Chris

Like him or not he had the best prices. I'm not sticking up for him. His name is Jim and like you said he had an attitude. He didn't care if you bought anything or not as there was a line of customers behind you. It was a little closet sized store but he had most of the guns other shops didn't have and prices that were great. I bought my S&W Model 60 for $275.00 (1988) when other shops didn't have them or if they did the price was $50. to $75. more.

First one I bought (with my own money) was downstairs (remember, I'm the guy that grew up in a gun shop), on Dec 15, 1968 (GCA '68 took effect the next day) and it was a Remington 788 in 22-250. My father was pushing me to buy a Rem 700 in .308, I was pushing for a Rem 700 in .30-06, but we had neither in stock.

I was under 18 at the time, and yes, it was legal then.

First pistol: Glock 27 from Atwood Firearms in West Springfield (gone now).
First Rifle: 10/22 from Dicks sporting goods.
First Shotgun: Browning Auto-5 from a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob999
I bought a double barreled side by each shot gun at the old Natick outdoor store when I was 16 (40 + years ago sheesh)

I know that they didn't sell handguns as far back as 2000, but do they still long guns? Just wondering...

They do. In fact I called them a month or so ago checking on the price of a 10/22.

At Four Seasons.... bought an HK P7M8 that I had on layaway and picked up a used old school (w/plastic guide rod!)
SigSauer P239/9mm the same day. Still have both of them.... so I guess I have two "first guns".

-Mike

I bought my first gun at Four Seasons in Woburn. It was a Sig 229, 9mm. I wish I had kept it for sentimental reasons, but I have a few other Sig 229's now.

My first rifle was a 10/22 from Four Seasons the day after I got my FID, about two and a half years ago. My first handgun will be any day now whenever the Quincy PD decides to call me to tell me that my licence is in.

My first rifle was a 10/22 from Four Seasons the day after I got my FID, about two and a half years ago. My first handgun will be any day now whenever the Quincy PD decides to call me to tell me that my licence is in.

Hey another Quincy person fighting with Crowley, It annoying isn't it

I know your pain [smile]

Nick

1st Handgun: From Dave Frank's Harley-Davidson shop on Bridge Street in Salem, MA. A S&W Model 59 and a H&K P7 PSP.

1st Long gun: Marlin 336 lever-action 30-30 from Kittery Trading Post, and a Ruger Mini-14 from Coleman's in Danvers.

My first hand gun was purchased from Bradbury's in Norwell ( gone about 20 years or more) and it is a S&W 17 with a 6 in bbl blued and I still have today. Over 33 yrs ago.

The first gun I bought was in 1986. It is a Remington Model 700 in 30-'06.
I bought it from Moran's World of Sporting Goods in Hudson Falls, N.Y. I think they are out of buisness now.

I traded in a Browning BL-22 (which I got for Christmas) and some cash for it. I've still got it, but haven't shot it in decades.

I'll keep it for my son for when he is old enough.

I wish I still had the Browning.

Last edited:
I bought my first gun in the quarters of an AF TSgt Rifle Team Coach at the AF Academy just after graduation in 1971. It was a Marlin 39A (1957 manufacture) which I still have. It will go to my son when it's time with me is up.

After sort of inheriting a nice assortment of hunting guns from my uncle ("you can use them til I need them..") I needed a 12 ga. in full choke, so my buddies and I went to Percy's in Interlaken, NY. 1984? A shop in the back of his house. Long gone now. A Remington 870.

First Pistol: D'Andreas Gun Case in Stratford, CT (Walther P99 - go figure)
First Rifle: My next door neighbor in CT [laugh] (Howa .30-06)
First Shotgun: Dick's Sporting Goods in Orange, CT (Mossberg 500 combo w/both barrels)

1903 Springfield for $150- when I was 16 (1981) off a collector I knew. I already had 2 .22's and a French Berthier carbine that were given to me.

Last edited:
In 1990, 20 minutes after I received my LTC. The purchase contained the following: S&W Model 66 2-1/2" (357 Mag) Price $300.00 excluding Tax, Colt Government .380 $310.00, Beretta 21A .25 Cal "Mouse Gun" $195.00. Purchased at The Collectors Gallery - Stoneham, MA. Still have the wonderful little group.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom