Why so few 1000M ranges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there so few (none?) 1000M ranges in New England? Is it a real estate thing? MA law issue? General up keep of such a long shooting lane?

Your thoughts?

Why are there so few (none?) 1000M ranges in New England? Is it a real estate thing? MA law issue? General up keep of such a long shooting lane?

Your thoughts?

Have you seen the average Joe shoot? How many people do you know can make a wind call at 1K and hit a 20" target?

Think about how much land you have to buy to have a 1000M range. Then go looking at http://www.realtor.com to see how much that costs.

Have you seen the average Joe shoot? How many people do you know can make a wind call at 1K and hit a 20" target?
All I have to do is look at the header of our 100-yard backstop to know just how badly most people shoot.

Beat me to it! I always try to explain to people that until you start putting 5 shots in a nickle at 100 you don't need a longer range. [smile]

Luke: It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.[rofl]

Sorry, had to do it...rofl

there is public range in North Dartmouth where you can shoot 600 yards. it use to be military range with up to 2000 yards. but years ago it was closed and moved under city of New Bedford ownership and downgraded to 1000 yards then to 600 yards only, cz of numerous complains from locals. The land still there but no one allowed to shoot 1000 yards. for a fact local police snipers team and state police snipers practicing there for 600 yards. it is fun to shoot long distance but makes no sense if you cant be accurate at 100-200 yards. It take lots of hours of practice but can be rewording. Take my word for it as former sniper whom spend some time with my favorite sniper rifle SVD. Now i use DPS SASS .308 with super Sniper Scope 10x42M.
but still have a feelings for SVD, unfortunately its almost impossible to find real Dragunov , seems like closest to it is a Tiger but prices are really high for this hunting carbine.

Last edited:
With any luck there will be another full distance Appleseed in 2010 and all these sharpshootin' operators will have a chance to put their money where their keyboards are.

We go out to 400 yards with the possibility to shoot at 600, time premitting.

With any luck there will be another full distance Appleseed in 2010 and all these sharpshootin' operators will have a chance to put their money where their keyboards are.

Schedule permitting I will be first to sign up for that.

-------------------------

Name and location on the Dartmouth range please

In, don't care when or where. [mg]

Your thoughts?

Most shooters that would 'try it out' have trouble hitting a cow in the ass with a shovel.
The shooters that are good shots would know their limitations and be responsible. There
are very few that could make good use of a 1Km range.

So, I'm getting the feeling that the 'cost vs people who could truely utilize it' is the reason.

I am not one that could use it. I have enough fun with the 100yd range at my club. [smile]

Shooting at 1000 is no different that shooting at 100 yards. Same principals apply. The big issue is people taking gear and ammo that wont work at that distance.

The issue is land and $.

B

Shooting at 1000 is no different that shooting at 100 yards. Same principals apply. The big issue is people taking gear and ammo that wont work at that distance.

Nonsense! I shoot at 1000 with my Marlin .22 all the time and have no problem hitting the targets.

Oh, wait, you didn't mean inches? [rofl] [rofl]

The issue is land and $.

B

I am with you about the land and money, but I don't believe that the same principals apply between shooting 1K and 0.1K at all.

Ish.

I am with you about the land and money, but I don't believe that the same principals apply between shooting 1K and 0.1K at all.

Ish.

Brian is right and you wouldn't have the first clue.

I have an NRA Master classification card in Long Range (800-1000 yards) that says you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom