Why so few 1000M ranges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ish stated that shoot 100 and 100 are not the same. It takes way more skill and consideration of environemtals for the 1000. And for the records the only way i would get to 1000 is with many shots walking it in. I don't even think I would be interested in wasting the ammo to make that shot. It would be fun to watch some pros make the shots though.

I guess you and him, who've evidently never have done it, can tell those of us (like Brian and myself) who HAVE done it successfully how wrong we are.

I think I would put it slightly differently. The same basics principals apply, and then some.

Exactly, your three last words made the difference (and then some).

1st Lets start saying that 1,000 yards is not equal to 1K, it is equal to 914.4 meters (what it is a big difference of 85.6 meters (93.6 yards)), almost the whole debate between the 1,000 yards and the 100 yards.

2nd Within a 100 yard normally we don’t need to use a scope at all, when for a 1,000 yards you must to have one.

3rd The wind, moist, and temperature it will not be must difference when shooting up to 100 yards (91.4 meters), but yes when shooting to a 1,000 yards or all over 500 yards.

4th depending on the weapon that we are shooting, we need to know the millimeters drop X meter, time and distance.

And so forth.

Ish

I guess you and him, who've evidently never have done it, can tell those of us (like Brian and myself) who HAVE done it successfully how wrong we are.

Not disrespect to you and I apologize to everyone else in NES, but I can tell you, show you and teach you whenever you want, and then maybe you think twice about your “all of the sudden” comments.

PS. Ammo, weapons and after party on me.

Ish.

Last edited:
Exactly, your three last words made the difference (and then some).

1st Lets start saying that 1,000 yards is not equal to 1K, it is equal to 914.4 meters (what it is a big difference of 85.6 meters (93.6 yards)), almost the whole debate between the 1,000 yards and the 100 yards.

2nd Within a 100 yard normally we don’t need to use a scope at all, when for a 1,000 yards you must to have one.

3rd The wind, moist, and temperature it will not be must difference when shooting up to 100 yards (91.4 meters), but yes when shooting to a 1,000 yards or all over 500 yards.

4th depending on the weapon that we are shooting, we need to know the millimeters drop X meter, time and distance.

And so forth.

Ish

LOL!!! [laugh2]
DSC00399.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

I am not saying you are wrong. I am saying you are arguing with Ish about something he did not even say. And as previously stated I could not give a rats ass about making a shot at 1000 yards because I happen to live in an area that the property needed for a 1000 yard range would be at least 20 million dollars so the chance of even trying is non existent. So I am not even pretending to know what I am talking about. I am more interested in cruising around in my Ferrari with my hot blond wives. [wink]

I am not saying you are wrong. I am saying you are arguing with Ish about something he did not even say. And as previously stated I could not give a rats ass about making a shot at 1000 yards because I happen to live in an area that the property needed for a 1000 yard range would be at least 20 million dollars so the chance of even trying is non existent. So I am not even pretending to know what I am talking about. I am more interested in cruising around in my Ferrari with my hot blond wives. [wink]

Red87930, you are more than welcome to come down to FL and try it on my property as long as you don’t bring Jose in your Ferrari. He can come too, but with expertise probably we can shoot himself 2 miles at the time, so more or less you will get here at the same time. [rofl] [rofl]

Ish.

I would like to get this back to long range ranges.

I just moved back to MA after a 25yr diversion. I'm in the North Shore. Besides Reading and Harvard, who's got ranges longer than 200 yards? I think I recall reading about one in southern NH.

Thanks.

I just moved back to MA after a 25yr diversion. I'm in the North Shore. Besides Reading and Harvard, who's got ranges longer than 200 yards? I think I recall reading about one in southern NH.

Thanks.
Some one has a map some place around here... There is a 1000 yard range around Albany.

Thanks.

There's one in Nashua and rumor is they're building one in Pelham.

The last time I chroned fggm I had a spread of 30fps. That is like 10" at 1000[thinking]
I'll take your word for it. I've never chrono'ed Federal Gold Match. It was sufficient for my skill level back when I was competing in Service Rifle, but I suspect you can achieve better with handloads if you know what you are doing.

Yes the wind drift tables are not linear. However you still have to pay attention to the wind no matter what distance you are at and if you know how much wind to apply at 100 then there is no reason not to know how much wind to apply at 1000. They are called drift tables/wind wheels.

Again the same principals apply. I haven't a clue how much a 3000 fps 142gr 6.5mm sierra drifts in a 15mph quartering wind from 7 O'clock at 800 yards. I rely on my ballistic tables and a SWAG. If it's 100 yards, then I put on what the table tells me. If it's 800 yards I put on what the table tells me. After that I modify it based on my experience. The process you go through is no different if it's 100 or 1000 yards.

The biggest issue I have seen is people shooting inappropriate rifles/ammo that are not up to the task. If someone chooses to shoot something like an AR-15 or an M-14 at 1000 yards then things tend to get ugly fast, simply because they are at the outer limit of the gear. With something more capable, reasonably good shooters do surprisingly well.

B

Thanks.

Yeah, the fairway at Nashua Fish and Game.

I'll take your word for it. I've never chrono'ed Federal Gold Match. It was sufficient for my skill level back when I was competing in Service Rifle, but I suspect you can achieve better with handloads if you know what you are doing.
I was not trying to say it is bad ammo, its not. Just factory ammo and as you said better can be had from handloads.

Ish. What do you normally shoot at 1000m? I've been looking at a Remington 700 in .300 Mag for a distance gun. would that be good for 1000m?

I try to shot my mother in law while she is putting up pennies as my target, but looks like she is faster than me. Nice try tho…

A 7.62mm rifle rarely gets hits at more than, or even close to, 1,000 meters, and anything over 500 meters requires a high degree of skill. Do you have those skills?

Ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom