• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

I was a few miles SW of gasgunner , cold windy sun in my face with the
Macauser98k 308 “build” . I go there because I can get in and out quickly I shot 3 guns today thats alot for me
Tried some cast loads in the Arisaka 99
10 rounds in the MacM1 308 , cold and forgot to come down from my 200 yard zero......any way

1st up the Macauser 308 , I took 2 shots and walked down range to make sure I was on paper then just rolled of the remaining rounds, ok DQ me I sent 11 rounds

94/100/4X. PPU M80
904F766D-474D-4FD9-B784-E29310DBF306.jpeg I will post the others later 4pm its time for Tea and Crackers
I wish I had more time or a good spotter to track the shots , that barrel was brand new so om sure it took a few settling shots. Between the new barrels, soso ammo , my eyes the wind and the cold , I will take it!

MacMauser lives!

Nice work, and nice shooting! Shoot that in a vintage match and I'll bring the Swede or the M39.

Cold? Was 10 when I was getting ready to leave and I think still in the teens and very windy when shooting the match. Indoor spots full through 2nd relay so I shot outside. Would have been an OK score except I shot a cross fire. Duoh! Shot the M1 built by Spaghetti King and HXP 65. Shots went right where I pulled the trigger.

Arisaka 99 intact mum and parts with nunbers match. 2 cast loads 5744 and trail boss . Figure I would give them s try. I shot on 2 different targets and just laid over to get a score. Back to H4895 or 2400 they work better
85/100
1FBBB62C-2026-47FA-BE78-8CF04036BB55.jpeg

I was trying to make it to the range with my T53 at noon but a customer called right as I was about to leave and said they'd be here sometime between noon and 1. Damnit. I'm hoping to close up early to make it before dusk.

4:30pm, 15 degrees, light wind.
1956 T53 Mosin with Red Army Standard ammo. (First time shooting this ammo in this rifle).
My notes say aim high right on SR1 target at 100 yards but I didn’t go high and right enough! After the first 5 I couldn’t feel my trigger finger. I fell apart pretty quick.
8E5A55DD-C931-4B98-9D92-7A0C4DBFEDAA.jpeg

4:30pm, 15 degrees, light wind.
1956 T53 Mosin with Red Army Standard ammo. (First time shooting this ammo in this rifle).
My notes say aim high right on SR1 target at 100 yards but I didn’t go high and right enough! After the first 5 I couldn’t feel my trigger finger. I fell apart pretty quick.
View attachment 443132
My problem with milsurps is that they always shoot high, sometimes way high until I get a taller front sight. Looks like yours was grouping decently excepting the flyers which could be ammo. Finn triggers are nice upgrades for Russian Mosins. Gives you a nice two stage and cleaner break.

I need to test and sight in some light loads for the '03 National Match before taking it to the match tomorrow. Not looking forward to the single digit temps today, so for this week I might just shoot something already set up. Last week the temperature was around 15 for the match. 20 shots, offhand, 20 minutes. My bare trigger hand thumb was hurting pretty bad by the end of the match. I'll wear a glove tomorrow. If I do go today, I'll post a target.

I was disappointed in the performance of my 03A3 last year as I thought it would shoot better. I was using surplus ammo so going to see if I can get my hands on something better and give it another try. Who knows I might even try shooting on Tuesday during the blizzard. That would be real interesting.

I was disappointed in the performance of my 03A3 last year as I thought it would shoot better. I was using surplus ammo so going to see if I can get my hands on something better and give it another try. Who knows I might even try shooting on Tuesday during the blizzard. That would be real interesting.

[thumbsup]

Besides this postal match I've made winter shooting sort of a game. I think my favorite so far was testing an M1 and AR's in below zero temperatures. RemOil turns to gum so I tested Marvel Mystery Oil in AR's with good results. Based on the recommendation from a friend I run my M1's and M1A with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Worked fine at 7 below zero.

Winter is actually my favorite season- yeah, I'm one of those.

[thumbsup]

Besides this postal match I've made winter shooting sort of a game. I think my favorite so far was testing an M1 and AR's in below zero temperatures. RemOil turns to gum so I tested Marvel Mystery Oil in AR's with good results. Based on the recommendation from a friend I run my M1's and M1A with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Worked fine at 7 below zero.

Winter is actually my favorite season- yeah, I'm one of those.
Frog Lube 🐸 is definitely a no go

At least Mausers are designed to shoot high....battle sight is 150M. Soldiers were trained to aim at the middle of the target, with the round hitting the chest area.
t
Rifles are not designed to shoot high.
They are zeroed for Point Blank Range
Meaning you take your target size
Torso size targets 16x18 or so.
Your ammunition ballistics
And zero your sights so you can get hits on target with out changing you point of aim. From X to Y yardage with out needing to adjust your sights or hold over/under
Sometimes called battle sight zero.
We only "zero" our rifles for specific yardages for target shooting.

Some quick checks to help "restore" accuracy.
1. Check the recoil lug and make sure its not loose. Just about every old wood stock rifle I have the recoil lug was loose.
2. Loosen your action screws. Now lightly on a padded surface give the butt of the stock a light thump, sets the action back into stock. Now i finger tight the front action screw only and give the butt another light thump. Now tighten the front action screw. I have come to find 40 inlbs is good.
Dont have a torque driver? Finger tight then maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
Finger tight, grasp your screw driver with thumb , index and middle finger and tighten only using those fingers. Then you can grip it and give it that final tweek. Bring your screwdriver with you make sure your screws are staying snug.
I tighten the rear to finger tight only.
maybe a deep bore cleaning if it has not been done in years.
3. Blacken your sights

1/30/21
22°F

Colt Match Target HBAR
Federal XM193

I don't think 55gn is ideal with the 1 in 7" twist but I'm working with what I got.

94/100
View attachment 443645

View attachment 443647
Quality 55s are generally fine in 1/7
M193 may not be your best chance at good groups.
XM193/855 --run some over the crony and tell me what you find.

Did you use your sling?
I have some 55s loaded up to burn through. Might be my next outing?

Last edited:
Quality 55s are generally fine in 1/7
M193 may not be your best chance at good groups.
XM193/855 --run some over the crony and tell me what you find.

Did you use your sling?
I have some 55s loaded up to burn through. Might be my next outing?
The only time I cronied them in the past it was 3205 ES 86 but that was in the summer. I mainly shoot steel so I stay away from 855.

Too cold for me to set up the chronograph now lol.

Yes I used the sling, no free float tube.

The only time I cronied them in the past it was 3205 ES 86 but that was in the summer. I mainly shoot steel so I stay away from 855.

Too cold for me to set up the chronograph now lol.

Yes I used the sling, no free float tube.
Yeah i have not seen a SD less than 80 with any of that 193/855 stuff. Some worse and extreme spreds have been WTF in some lots.

Cold is tough to shoot in.

Some quick checks to help "restore" accuracy.
1. Check the recoil lug and make sure its not loose. Just about every old wood stock rifle I have the recoil lug was loose.
2. Loosen your action screws. Now lightly on a padded surface give the butt of the stock a light thump, sets the action back into stock. Now i finger tight the front action screw only and give the butt another light thump. Now tighten the front action screw. I have come to find 40 inlbs is good.
Dont have a torque driver? Finger tight then maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
Finger tight, grasp your screw driver with thumb , index and middle finger and tighten only using those fingers. Then you can grip it and give it that final tweek. Bring your screwdriver with you make sure your screws are staying snug.
I tighten the rear to finger tight only.
maybe a deep bore cleaning if it has not been done in years.
3. Blacken your sights

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

Got out again for some more testing and load work up. 33 and snowy. Fitted 1903a3 front sight and adjusted it for 100 yards. Ended up with some horizontal stringing but that probably has to do more with the conditions and pore form.View attachment 447134
View attachment 447135
Tried getting over to hanson today BUT surprise to me kids actually wanted to go out side and play in the snow......this was a huge shocker.!

Love that Trap Door!

Didn't touch a trigger for the first time in over a week. Been a long time since I've done that but my club had a ice fishing derby today and it was a nice day to do that. Dozed off for a couple minutes and woke up covered in snow.

Maybe this week I'll see about getting the K31 sighted in for 100 and take it to the Leominster match next weekend along with the Bula M14 or maybe the Finn M39 again.

I got lucky. I gambled on it and it turned out to have a nice bore. Someone had painted all the metal on it a long time ago. It actually protected the original finish pretty well

30 degrees, plenty of snow and more coming. 100 yards, sitting, rifle resting on range bag (.308 Special Grade). My handloads with 150gr bullets and IMR4895, mixed brass. I would say the not great group overall is me and not my ammo. I know the rifle is dead nuts with factory stuff.
garand.png
6502F612-54B2-4357-8C9D-3D1747D30ED9.jpeg 67EC82D9-2927-4E49-83DC-730D4CF9AC46.jpeg 1AC285AE-7F95-477F-81CE-9BD18F9F3757.jpeg F30C7312-BBE2-4D72-A7D1-809C789A0E99.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom