Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club

Apologies for resurrecting this thread. Are any of the current Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club members willing to share details on the application process? I'm interested in attending a membership meeting, but it looks like the next meeting (June 7th), which I can't make, is the last meeting until September. Is that correct?

Apologies for resurrecting this thread. Are any of the current Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club members willing to share details on the application process? I'm interested in attending a membership meeting, but it looks like the next meeting (June 7th), which I can't make, is the last meeting until September. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. There are no general member meetings in July or August. The September meeting is Thursday, 9/6. Location is TBD due to the clubhouse undergoing major renovations.

However, prospective new members must first attend an orientation meeting before they can join. The next orientation is at the end of August, so you'll want to plan on attending that so you can be voted in as a new member at the general meeting on 9/6.

See the club web site for more information and the application.
http://www.wprclub.com/content/join-us

And send an email to: [email protected] to get the exact date, time, and location of the orientation meeting and let them know you plan to attend.

Yes, that is correct. There are no general member meetings in July or August. The September meeting is Thursday, 9/6. Location is TBD due to the clubhouse undergoing major renovations.

However, prospective new members must first attend an orientation meeting before they can join. The next orientation is at the end of August, so you'll want to plan on attending that so you can be voted in as a new member at the general meeting on 9/6.

See the club web site for more information and the application.
http://www.wprclub.com/content/join-us

And send an email to: [email protected] to get the exact date, time, and location of the orientation meeting and let them know you plan to attend.

Ok, got it. I was confused by the calendar and thought the Thursday monthly meetings were the orientation sessions. I guess the orientation sessions aren't on the calendar. I'll aim for the August orientation.

Two more questions:

1. I'm from New Mexico and am not used to the whole anti-gun culture here in MA. I can't believe how hard it is to find a place to shoot. While I'm waiting for the August orientation, are there any good public ranges in the central MA area? The only public ranges I've heard of in MA are rumored to be extremely packed and unsafe.

2. What are the dues at Worcester Pistol and Rifle, if you don't mind my asking? Wayland Rod and Gun is actually closer to me (I live in Framingham), but I like the offerings and facilities at the Worcester club. I can tolerate the extra driving if the dues won't break the bank.

Last edited:
2. What are the dues at Worcester Pistol and Rifle, if you don't mind my asking? Wayland Rod and Gun is actually closer to me (I live in Framingham), but I like the offerings and facilities at the Worcester club. I can tolerate the extra driving if the dues won't break the bank.

Worcester definitely has larger facilities than Wayland. I shoot IDPA at Worcester on a regular basis -- Worcester has a great bunch of guys and a very nice facility. I live in Wayland and am a member of the Wayland Rod & Gun Club.

I'm also a member at Harvard Sportsmen's Club and having been shooting more at HSC lately. That's another club that you might want to consider. HSC has ~10 action shooting pits, pistol ranges, rifle ranges to 300 yards, and an indoor range. They also have active IDPA and USPSA groups: http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com/

Another club to consider is Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association: http://www.hsasports.com/

Just a heads up that it looks like the indoor range is now closed for the renovations.

Hopefully they are going to get some kind of a porta-john so I don't have to see 60 guys peeing in the woods at this wekends IDPA match [puke2]

Hopefully the ventilation system will be state of art. Heard stories of members wearing dust masks when shooting in the old indoor range.

The ventilation was fine. It's the fact that it doesn't play well with a heating system that sucks. In the winter you alternate between breathing and freezing.

Anyone know the deal with this place? Their construction hasn't been touched in about a month. It is just a shell of a building that has been the same way since the 1st & 2nd week of July.

Seems something has held up building it. Anyone have any info on this? I was hoping to see it nearly completed by now. Originally they said it would be finished by the end of summer.

Anyone know the deal with this place? Their construction hasn't been touched in about a month. It is just a shell of a building that has been the same way since the 1st & 2nd week of July.

Seems something has held up building it. Anyone have any info on this? I was hoping to see it nearly completed by now. Originally they said it would be finished by the end of summer.

I thought it was going to be done in the fall, and that was before of all the problems they ran into at the beginning of the summer.

There has been progress, just not a lot of obvious stuff. I would guess November

Here's some pictures of the progress as of today.

W4eMOh.jpg

IeprGh.jpg

Peeking through the door, it looks like downstairs is framed up and the stairs to the second floor are installed.

I was there today and the progress was disappointing. Since last Sunday, it looks like the plumber was there and they started to block up the old back door and started to cut a new one. Didn't see much else changed.

Card system will give the club total control of the membership. For the most part cards cant be copied and they dont need to be reissued. Privileges can be adjusted as needed, there a lot of pluses. It will be great just not to have to get out of the car to unlock the gate. I am confident when they et done this will be a fine facility.

I'm looking at joining the club, but the possibility that the indoor range won't be done for a while is disappointing. If I were to join next month, I would pay $190 for 4 months going into the colder months with potentially no indoor range. [crying]

Every time a cap on membership, the same point is made. Note any and every time you have to wait to use the range and report it at the meetings. So far, I have never had to wait.

Remember, range memberships are a little like gym memberships. Its a very small percentage of the membership that actually takes advantage of the facilities.

I was at the range Sunday night. The building is shaping up. I'm heading to the meeting tonight as I'm anxious to hear about any new timing information.

wprc.jpg

I went tonight so I'll post a little summary about what was said about the construction. It seems, first of all, that much of the delay in the project has been at the hands of the building inspector. A 6 week delay was caused when he demanded an elevator and handicapped restrooms be installed. Yes, that's right. An elevator. In a two story, private club. An agreement was reached an instead a handicapped bathroom will be installed both floors.

They are waiting on another inspection before work can continue on insulation and drywall. Audio/Video has been wired and wiring for security cams are going in any day. At this point, there is no expected finish date. I asked pointedly. The answer was "Before the end of the year"

Now, the impression that I got was that there has not been issues to speak of with contractors but that the inspection schedule and difficulties is slowing things down. It sounds like it will be awesome when its done though.

That may be pushed to early next year (electronic gate). I think the key cards will coincide with when the indoor pistol range opens.

I noticed that as Al said this Mike was violently shaking his head. Sounds like everything is a little up in the air.

Back
Top Bottom