Worst shoulder buster you've fired

SKS Ray

NES Member
The whole what have you fired thread got me thinking. I thought about replying but its only Wednesday. [smile]
Sooooo me being the iron and wood military surplus fan I am, I figured I'd ask: What's the worst shoulder buster you've fired?

For me, its the M95 Steyr carbine.

3c6d41d2.jpg

Nothing says Ouch like shooting a tiny 8mm carbine while wearing a t shirt in summer!

Makes me realize I have to bring this to the next NES Members shoot because I've never seen anyone bring one and Jim (Eddie Coyle) needs to feel some real recoil.[laugh]

Fred wins ............... Fred always wins

Mine would be the boys Rossi 20 GA Youth Shotgun, I think they designed it to discourage kids from the sport!

it was one of those Russian 12 gauge coach guns, pulled both triggers at once. Ouch!!!

My Ruger 10/22 (.22lr).

No really it was a 30/30 Lever action coach gun. Wasn't expecting it to kick (first time I ever shot a "real" rifle cartridge) and I didn't have it snug against the shoulder.

I know the others aren't surplus but who is willing to bring their shoulder busters to the NES milsurp shoot?
I know I'm bringing mine with a can full of rare Nazi marked ammo and clips.[grin]

Fond memories, NOT!
I fired a trapdoor Springfield from the bench with 550 gr bullets and loosened several teeth.
A 12ga - 3" Savage single shot with a magnum buckshot load got my undivided attention in a microsecond.
My .45 Colt double derringer used to periodically fire both barrels at the same time.[shocked]
The S&W M640, with a full house 180 gr load did some permanent nerve damage in my wrist in only 4 shots.
I fired a fifty shot prone match with a Savage 99 in .308 Winchester and thought that my collar bone was permanently snafu. Black & blue and hurt like blazes for weeks.
The Ruger No.1 in .375 H&H is no fun at all with factory loads. After fifteen shots you would pay someone to touch off the last five.

Strangely enough, I enjoy shooting the Mosin M38 carbine with 150gr ball ammo. I've never been temped to try the 200 gr loads in it though.

There were probably others. Time is a great healer. A little CRS is also helpful.[wink]

Jack

Just a regular slug from Remington 870. That was enough to make me get the recoil reducing stock.

Jack... I think you should invest the membership fees and join us at the NES Mansfield Surplus Rifle shoot this January. I know you travel and trust me... there'll be plenty of surplus folks to enjoy some oddball rifles with.
C'mon man... join the darkside!

Winnah !

DSC02796.jpg

I had the pleasure of letting two rounds fly outta this at the Pumpkin shoot.

First one was "Wow !". [grin]

Second one was "Yup !" [smile]

Thanks Fred !
yo.gif

I've shot a few african hunting calibers before and none of them recoiled as hard as this:

0250298.gif

It's the mossberg line launcher. It fires a stout blank cartridge propelling a 3 or 4 lb weight attached to the line.

Holy shit! Is that why there are only a few teeth in your avatar pic? [laugh]

The worst kick I ever had was with a Mossberg 550 shooting a 3" magnum slug through it. Most will say that isn't all that bad, but I pulled the trigger before I had a good shoulder weld and well, you can guess what happened. Left the range and my shoulder really hurt.

The next day I had to go to the hospital. I woke up with a bruise the size of dinner plate in my shoulder area and I couldn't move my arm very much without a LOT of pain. After a few X-Rays the doctor confirmed I had fractured a small bone in my shoulder that connects to some tendons. Took months to heal. I was going through shooting withdrawals.

Two of the worst for me are my old Rem 870 with Winchester partition gold slugs and my new Elk rifle, a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. A six pound rifle in 300 is tough.

I'd hafta say the 10 gauge(I suspect it was more like an 8 gauge)when I was a wee lad of ten or eleven. Felt more like a punt gun to me!!![shocked][crying]

Lately though, it's a Remington 870 during requalifications. 250-300 rounds in two days. Looked like a truck backed over my shoulder, twice![hmmm]

I'd have to agree 'bout the Mosin being a bit "stiff" in the recoil department. Althugh nothing a few brews can't fix afterwards(as you down a few Tylenols).

i once went from shooting my savage .22, to benchresting my friends remmington 870 w/a rifled barrel/scope and sabot round......yeah i wasnt being as cautious as i should have....as you can imagine the top of my eye was bleeding, i SHOULD have gotten stiches...

Mine would be a Marlin 1895 45/70 loaded with Garrett 540gr Hammerheads.

4570540hhp.jpg

Ran the usual box of 300gr hollow points through her, and then slid one of those Hammerheads in for shits'n giggles... damn thing ended up pointed at the sky, caught my ass off guard.[laugh] Settled down, took my skirt off and proceeded to run through the rest of the box of 20. The recoil of that round made everthing else I own feel like a .223 in comparison.

Last edited:
Let me throw up a few that have left a lasting impression on me:
.350 magnum Remington carbine
.458 Winchester in a Rugger #1
.45-70 Marlin lever gun with a steel butt plate
7.5mm Swiss chambered shootzen style single shot with a narrow steel butt plate
.30-06 ultra light weight bolt action rifle with custom hnadloaded ammo (The owner looked carefully at every fired case to check for signs of over pressure)
After some of them, especially more than one on the same day, it felt like a mule kicked me in the shoulder.

Three Of Many....

Lasting Impressions:

.600 Nitro Express: - My father actually owned this gun at one time, but sold it to a family friend who "encouraged" me to shoot it when I was 21, young and full of P&V. It was a double barreled rifle made in England back in the 40's I believe. He loaded two rounds in the gun, I fired one and handed it back to him trying to cover the throbbing in my shoulder and the whince on my face. I tried to buy it off the family when he passed away, but they sold all of his guns in one shot for a stunningly low price, (around $300.00 per gun for 100 guns total) to some collector who got the deal of a lifetime.

Ithaca Roadblocker 10ga: - Man people really like to "test" big guys for the ability to take a beating. I bought a Roadblocker off my friend Doc in Ohio back in the 80's. He was a feverish reloader and gave me some of his shells he simply called "magic". They were magic alright - the only benefit I got from them was that he loaded me enough to torture all comers until I sold the gun in 1990.

.450 Marlin Guide Gun - Non Ported: - This I brought on myself. I gave up hunting at 23, so at a then 40, I had no real need for this rifle - only a want. I laid it away, paid on it faithfully and picked it up along with 4-boxes or Hornady 350gr FP's. I made it through 2 of the 4 boxes - the rest went to Collectors when I traded it in for my Uzi. I'm fairly sure my knuckles were still bandaged from the last time I shot it when I traded it in. Not only did that gun punish my shoulder, it tore skin from my gorilla-like mitts every time I pulled the trigger. No matter what I tried, I could not get a grip on that rifle. If I kept it, I was going to find a larger lever for it - Marlin really should rethink the lever on that gun...[shocked] It was impressive, turned heads at the range and blew bowling pins and giant chunks of berm off the 50-yard lane, but it was just too much for an aging and previously battered shoulder....[wink]

My new-to-me old Ithaca 37 12g with 20" barrell. Slugs out of it kicked my ass to sight it in. Very surprised.

My trigger finger was banging off the side scope mount (leftie). I am going to have to put some moleskin in it next time it is at the range. If I shot any more than a handful of rounds it would have cut my finger.

For some unknown reason I can handle any gun I've got with no problem but my 1903a3 will knock the crap out of my shoulder to the point where I don't like to shoot it. Every other 30-06 that I have are fine but the 03a3 just ruins me.

I've got just about every 20th century milsurp made and none give me the trouble that one does.

My trapdoor is a pussy cat.

Back
Top Bottom