• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boomer parents are the worst

This. She probably had GenX parents. What a maroon. She was probably just as insufferable as a child.

I may be biased, but as a GenX, I see my generation being the best of all worlds. We got ignored as kids, so we won't ignore our kids. But we aren't afraid of Little Billy getting a boo-boo or his feelings hurt. Boomers either completely ignored their kids believing they were still the center of the world in some Descartian vision where said children may or may not really exist or helicoptered them to absolute hell.

young boomers.
born in 1964, kid in 2000, 36 years old, possibly.

anyways, there is a LOT to unpack here.
a) how does a boomer produce a kid like this?

Young boomers act more like GenX than anything. Best is taking people who are barely Millenials and refusing to call them GenX. I've got a buddy that missed by a year. For the most part, he's a GenX mentality. But I still love to remind him he's a Millenial. LOL

young boomers.

I was born in the Fall of '64, I have 19 year old kids. I have friends older than me with kids younger than mine.

That being said, I have virtually nothing in common w/ boomers & am far more of an X than anything.

Boomer is a state of mind more than an birth year or age bracket.

In modern slang ‘boomer’ isn’t really a direct reference to the Baby Boomer generation, it’s a ‘clever’ play on that term and is used by anyone under ~20-25 and directed at anyone over ~35 to condescendingly say “Hey, old man”

Exactly. And the proper response to "Ok Boomer" is "Ok Renter". Usually shuts them up.

Stereotypes don't just invent themselves...
Stereotypes are just that -- stereotypes. Sometimes there is a kernel of truth which is applicable to some members of the group, but quite often it is just bullshit and it never applies to everyone in the group.

Ill throw her in an Indian household any day of the week. She'll come running back to her "boomer" parents in no time [laugh]
Grew up in a first gen WI house. (lots of parallels as the culture is often blended)
I have a sibling that is a decade younger and they were the only one that had the social/public school indoctrination but they are not as bad as the one in the OP
I can only imagine if I brought that bs home

Also true, but she isn't implying general ineptitude or lack of technological savvy, like the colloquial use of boomer.

They just didn't appear to give a shit about SpongeBob. And for that she harbors resentment. I hope she cries while trying to figure out how to jump start a car.
I suspect her point might of been parents of ye old days usually didn't care much for thier kids interests. My parents certainly did not.

Times have changed. If only we could combine the latch key kid freedom of the past with today's more "interested" (lack of better term) parenting style.

As an example with my kids I'm fairly invested in jujitsu and kick boxing with my kids. I think it's fantastic and I wish my father did something remotely close to it. Would of been rad.

I must be a boomer. I can’t get any of those videos to play, probably saved myself a headache by not watching them.

I suspect her point might of been parents of ye old days usually didn't care much for thier kids interests. My parents certainly did not.

Times have changed. If only we could combine the latch key kid freedom of the past with today's more "interested" (lack of better term) parenting style.

As an example with my kids I'm fairly invested in jujitsu and kick boxing with my kids. I think it's fantastic and I wish my father did something remotely close to it. Would of been rad.
As long as they avoid helicopter parenting. That does kids no favors.

My folks are (were) Boomers ('45 & '48). They were always involved with both my brother and my activities as kids. But they didn't want to do them with us. We watched shows together, but it was dad that wanted to watch Battlestar Galactica, not me and my brother. Well, not at first. Once we realized that BG night meant mac'n'cheese and a soda, hell yeah we were into it. 🤣

I've just realized that if this wildebeast had instead watched more Rankin-Bass Lord of the Rings and 70s era Battlestar Galactica, she would have turned out better.

As long as they avoid helicopter parenting. That does kids no favors.

My folks are (were) Boomers ('45 & '48). They were always involved with both my brother and my activities as kids. But they didn't want to do them with us. We watched shows together, but it was dad that wanted to watch Battlestar Galactica, not me and my brother. Well, not at first. Once we realized that BG night meant mac'n'cheese and a soda, hell yeah we were into it. 🤣

I've just realized that if this wildebeast had instead watched more Rankin-Bass Lord of the Rings and 70s era Battlestar Galactica, she would have turned out better.
I had a good childhood so i can't bitch to much. But I do wish my parents were more involed. Especially on my fathers end who had extremely minimal involvement in me. Definitely warped me a little.

young boomers.

By spoiling them way beyond necessity and never saying NO to them.

Ultimately, this girl is going to be a permanent mental basket case.....not from here parent's doing, but because of her own willful ignorance of reality as an adult.

She's an absolute ingrate of the highest order who thinks her shit doesn't stink like the rest of the world. She's completely self absorbed and a needy, immature narcissist who has never been taught that she is responsible for her own life at some point and sooner or later she's going to have to confront that. She operates on 100% "feelings" rather than mature, rational logic.

Stereotypes are just that -- stereotypes. Sometimes there is a kernel of truth which is applicable to some members of the group, but quite often it is just bullshit and it never applies to everyone in the group.
I find that the stereotypes are almost always true (for a large percentage of the population that they stereotype).

Back
Top Bottom