You’re at a mass shooting event armed. What do you do?

Who here, that says they’re gonna pack their shit and go and leave everyone else to fend for themselves, likes to show their support for the brave American men and women who put themselves in harms way to preserve the lives and freedoms of their fellow countrymen?

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. My body is busted up now from doing that. It's time for someone else to step up and do that stuff.

I would run at the shooter, do a triple barrel roll, and shoot the gun from out of his/her (not to be exclusive, but I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome typing out the 468 different genders now) hands. I learned that from watching Starsky and Hutch, a documentary series on defensive tactics. If I wasn't carrying I guess I'd have to kick the gun out of their hands and put them in a half Nelson.

I would make sure my family is safe and we'd get out. If kids were involved, and they were well behaved, I'd put my life on the line. If it was adults, I'd call the police after getting my family to safety and having a nice lunch.

If it was the intolerant and violent left, there are so many hard numbers in the police phone number I might forget them. It's 9-something; I remember that part.

Will the insurance company pay your widow-wifey if you just sat there and took the bullet to the head? Kinda like how zero tolerance policy in school works. If you defend yourself against a bully in a fight, as long as you raise your hands up to block the attacks, you're 'equally' in trouble. You need to put your hands behind your back and take whatever punches he throws at you.
Ummm........I said if you VOLUNTARILY jumped in to engage. Meaning you had the means and time to leave........and decided to be a hero and died.

Sitting there taking a bullet to the head means you CHOSE not to protect yourself....which is stupid if you have a CCW and don't at least try and defend yourself. Your an idiot if your thinking about anything else than surviving if someone else points a gun at you. Fxck Insurance, or thoughts of what will happen to me after, its better off being alive.

Lets face the facts.....insurance companies already have this shit figured out not to pay, and will probably punt in ANY situation (taking a bullet, defending yourself, being a hero) because they probably have an active shooter clause that says if death is from active shooter, then we pay shit, which is pretty clear cut.

Last edited:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Your not wrong.....in fact your spot on......but most of the reasons why people will not engage an active shooter and would rather run, are the same reasons the country is where it is.

The reality is, most people who worked for stuff their whole lives have a lot to lose......and they take that into account before they go and do what is right at all costs.
Perfect example is the people who are being railroaded for January 6th to make an example, so everyone else will toe the line. Don't think people don't see this and say....boy....I guess
I'm glad I didn't go there!

And in my example of the old man with nothing to lose.........only then, when most of the country is so fxcked up we have nothing to lose.....will we all get together and do something about the
bullshit.

We accept taxes and tyranny because we are comfortable, well fed, and can sit on our lazy asses and watch TV, sit on our phones, or computers and let shit flow downhill.........me included. Only when we are poor, starving and have nothing to lose will we truly as a nation give a shit IMHO.

Last edited:
Your not wrong.....in fact your spot on......but most of the reasons why people will not engage an active shooter and would rather run, is the same reasons the country is where it is.

The reality is, most people who worked for stuff their whole lives have a lot to lose......and they take that into account before they go and do what is right at all costs.
Perfect example is the people who are being railroaded for January 6th to make an example, so everyone else will toe the line.

And in my example of the old man with nothing to lose.........only then, when most of the country is so fxcked up we have nothing to lose.....will we all get together and do something about the
bullshit.
More succinctly: “it’s not my 8 year old being shot at”

"BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and "catch the rounds" while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up."

I am with Gecko45 on this one.

Your not wrong.....in fact your spot on......but most of the reasons why people will not engage an active shooter and would rather run, are the same reasons the country is where it is.

Perfect example is the people who are being railroaded for January 6th to make an example, so everyone else will toe the line. Don't think people don't see this and say....boy....I guess
I'm glad I didn't go there!

bullshit.

We accept taxes and tyranny because we are comfortable, well fed, and can sit on our lazy asses and watch TV, sit on our phones, or computers and let shit flow downhill.........me included. Only when we are poor, starving and have nothing to lose will we truly as a nation give a shit IMHO.

I always equate this to something I experienced while stationed in Japan. I was walking a lady friend back to her apartment in Tokyo one Saturday night late. We were in a residential neighborhood and some lady up ahead of us and around a corner yelled for help. The girl I was with started running towards the lady calling for help. Of course I start running with her. We round the corner and in just within a few minutes there had to be 30 plus people on the street coming out to see if they can help. Nobody knew what was going on or why just that someone needed help. The girl had actually fallen and looked to have an injury to her leg and she couldn't get up. To me I was amazed at the outpouring of support the lady got from the people in the neighborhood. In a minute or two someone had called an ambulance, someone covered the girl in a blanket, they helped prop her up and someone got her tea. The girl I was with saw me looking around the crowd and told me that in Japan they would be disgraced if they didn't come out to help. It's part of their culture. Will never forget that.

I know it's not someone with a gun, but I'd be hard pressed to say that the same thing would happen here. For me anyway, that is why I'd say it would be a tough decision.

Who here, that says they’re gonna pack their shit and go and leave everyone else to fend for themselves, likes to show their support for the brave American men and women who put themselves in harms way to preserve the lives and freedoms of their fellow countrymen?
Many of those fellow countrymen are the same people who sought to deny us our right to bear arms to defend ourselves in such situations. And they're the same people who will prosecute us should we chose to do so. So yeah, I'm perfectly fine letting such people fend for themselves. I will be both comfortable with it and sleep well at night. People need to reap what they sow and suffer the consequences of their bad decisions. I would never wish harm on anyone. But if you advocate for and advance the very policies that bring it on, then you need to feel that.

Being stupid should hurt those who were stupid. Not others, like me.

I know it's not someone with a gun, but I'd be hard pressed to say that the same thing would happen here. For me anyway, that is why I'd say it would be a tough decision.
Japan is a collectivist society, like a lot of other places in Asia. We're an individualist society.

I'd rather live here. YMMV.

Japan is a collectivist society, like a lot of other places in Asia. We're an individualist society.

I'd rather live here. YMMV.

I'd say that there is good and bad in every society. I lived there for a good part of 6 years and will say I seen some things that wouldn't be such a bad thing here in the States. Also seen some stuff that I wouldn't want to see here in the States either.

Are people really concerned about the legal / financial consequences of fighting back against a tactical incel shooting kids?

Where are the murderboners when we really need them? I’d be legally concerned if I pulled a Kyle and got into a gun fight over property. The 2A crowd seem to celebrate this type of scenario. For the rest of his life he has to sell t shirts and do gofundmes to get by … and for what?

"BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and "catch the rounds" while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up."

I am with Gecko45 on this one.
I think it would be a great idea if you disclosed where you received your tactical training so all of us can be prepared like you and your SO![laugh2] I'm ASSuming tactical roll training is the next or advanced class for this awesome program! Can you elaborate on what the total program entails? I don't think that costs matters at this point because it seems the training received will outweigh all costs. What about uniforms, boots, and tactical gear, are they included in the program? Is Segway training part of the curriculum? And one final question, do we need to have a fully outfitted Crown Vic, including push bar and spotlight, to enter the hallowed training facility and will vehicle tactics be part of the program?
No need to personally respond but please respond for the masses who I strongly believe would be interested if you can find the time between drills. Thanks!

Are people really concerned about the legal / financial consequences of fighting back against a tactical incel shooting kids?

Where are the murderboners when we really need them? I’d be legally concerned if I pulled a Kyle and got into a gun fight over property. The 2A crowd seem to celebrate this type of scenario. For the rest of his life he has to sell t shirts and do gofundmes to get by … and for what?

I think he won a defamation case or two with undisclosed winnings coming his way. Unless I'm mistaken he's set for life. Though his girlfriend has MTGOW written all over her.

Engage or get out of dodge?

Personally I’d be thinking to mine and myself and get out of dodge. If I was alone I don’t know for sure. Probably still get out of dodge. Though I’m sure some would engage. Hard decision.

I (we if with family) would make my way to the nearest exit at or towards the rear of the store and I wouldn't draw my weapon unless it becomes necessary. IOW in a mall and if I were inside a store, I would not go to the front of the store, towards the mall. Instead, I would go to the back of the store and out the first emergency exit door I see.

It’s worse than that. People here are overtly mocking those of us who think we’d act.

At some point it has to make you wonder if gun-owners really are “the good guys”.

iu

I'm getting my family out of harms way before anything.

For the rest of his life he has to sell t shirts and do gofundmes to get by … and for what?
yep, you've never heard of anyone who still has their life as a result of a "good guy with a gun" wanting to help defray the legal expenses of that "good guy" when the inevitable criminal charges pop up. the survivors are thankful but not that thankful.

as long as i've participated on this forum, i've come out as in the "me and mine" camp and have been crucified for that opinion. everyone has the right to do something about their own defense. but don't and depend on others. i'll take care of myself, thank you.

Many of those fellow countrymen are the same people who sought to deny us our right to bear arms to defend ourselves in such situations. And they're the same people who will prosecute us should we chose to do so. So yeah, I'm perfectly fine letting such people fend for themselves. I will be both comfortable with it and sleep well at night. People need to reap what they sow and suffer the consequences of their bad decisions. I would never wish harm on anyone. But if you advocate for and advance the very policies that bring it on, then you need to feel that.

Being stupid should hurt those who were stupid. Not others, like me.
How do you tell which kids are which when they’re getting shot?

Leave if I can. Fight if I can not.
However, I would have a hard time watching someone kill women and children if I think I could prevent it.

There are also a ton of variables that could change my course of action. This latest event in Texas occurred at an open air mall.
If I am standing in line at a bank, and a guy charges in yelling "everyone on the ground!", I am going to get down with everybody else. If he starts shooting tellers, and I could stop him, it would not be easy to just watch.
Range to target and what the guy is armed with, also matter. As does who he is shooting at.
Guy shows up at the library and starts shooting girl scouts selling cookies, I might engage.
Guy shows up at the library and starts shooting drag queens reading stories, I might leave and go get some ice cream.
I look at it like this obviously my duty is to my family first but if I'm able to help I'm going to try because i couldn't live with myself if i didn't.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
This. Lots of really funny (ha-ha) jokes in this thread. So many NES comedians. We are so lucky. :rolleyes:

I would like to think that if some crazy mass murder thing was going down AND if I suddenly found myself in a good position to actually do something to stop it, that I would do so. But I am old. What have I got to lose? I am not dragging a bunch of young kids around some shopping mall.

The odds of such a combination of circumstances in my case are infinitesimally low. Would I really run like a coward? Maybe. But it wouldn't necessarily be my first inclination.

Back
Top Bottom