• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

-I bet there's people on here that have guns they haven't fired in five years
I have guns that I've owned more than 5 years and never shot. Which reminds me does anyone have some 310 Cadet they are looking to part with?
I keep a spreadsheet of inventory as well, not nearly as detailed as yours. One day I am going to convert all my load data to Excel but that is likely going to be more paperwork than a 7 year IRS audit. Even my new entries are pen and paper in a 3 ring.
If I shot 2 rifles a week for a year, I'd not shoot the same rifle twice. And I have more than one handgun. And a shotgun or few. I often debate selling off some, but can't bring myself to do it. I once sold two Winchester M12s, one in 12g and one in 20g. Even though the proceeds funded other purchases, I still kind of regret it.

Fair enough. I don't mind figuring out a hold for the battlesight but if I have a way of making my point of impact and my point of aim match I like to use it. I'm so used to holding low with many rifles (i.e. early Mausers) it's nice to be be able to hold right on target for a change lol
This is nice when you can see the post against the target well enough . With the .100" front sight on my 1 903a3 i love a center hold same with my fat sight AR.
The ^ style sights , forget it. I cant see the top 3rd of the sight against the bull. My M1 and M1a have "thin" sights for my eyes and i dance between 6 and center holds depending on how my eyes feel . Fatter front sight and the smallest aperture I can see clearly through gives me my best scores.

77/100/0X

Next Up CZ82
Figure the pistol range is a little easier to navigate at the moment.

View: https://imgur.com/a/v5MetBT

25 yards off hand service pistol style. 2 ducted tape shots where my sighters....i never re zeroed this pistol after greg derr did the ceracoat. shoots a bit right and low.
holding over and left did not go to well especially with watery eyes and numb fingers

before getting the face lift I only used this pistol indoors at 50' fun matches
DQ’d for non issue grips
GhrGML1l.jpg

slow fire sitting with hands supported I managed 10 shots to stay in the 8 ring. I did not retrieve my target as a new shooter came and I let him have my stand and target.

Last edited:
The M38 Swede. I've owned this rifle for over a decade and have not fired it until today. When compelled to go Swede, I usually grab a 96.
So the M38 is like other Swedes and doesn't like 100 yards. Even with my hold under I was placing high using 140gr Speer sp traveling around 2200fps. I didn't chrono from this rifle but that's around what the 96 spits them out at.
From the pic you can see we have plenty of crusty snow here in the Shire for me to flop into. I got lucky and the wind quit long enough for a few shots. I had no spotter today so it was a sprint up and back between 5 round volleys.

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_145341.jpg
    IMG_20190122_145341.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That snow is artificial support! Nice. Im trying
To find a nice swede rifle. Still kicking myself for not snagging one from samco global few years back. Friend of grabbed a sniper model from them for $400 ....its very nice.
That was a great price on a sniper!
IMHO the Swedes made the best Mauser. I've handled and fired others but they were never as nice as mine.

Target 1: 89-0x
Target 2: 86-0x

20190125_143126.jpg

Nice and icy out there. Past the 75 yard plates was pretty much pure ice.

Took the M1917 I acquired from MajSpud.

20190125_143132.jpg
20190125_143149.jpg

First target, used the brass that I necksized, just ten of them to make sure everything worked as it was a new die, and it caused me no problems. Used 44gr Varget. 89-0x.

20190126_000533.jpg

For the second target, used 42gr AA 2495 with some 150gr seconds. Not match blems, but just seconds I obtained inexpensively. I also flipped the rear sight up, just to see how it went. Took a few shots to figure out exactly where to hold, had to come up a good amount.

20190126_000546.jpg

20190125_145025.jpg

All in all, I really like the rifle. I actually thought I shot a lot better than I did until I added up the scores when I brought the targets in. I want to give the 1917 another shot before the contest ends.

I may have missed another WWI score, but I think Majspud still has the top score for the war.

20190125_143143.jpg

Better than I ever did with it the once or twice I shot it. Trigger reach was a little far for me.

Well done.

t
is that a brass pin repair on the wrist of that M1917? Better find out if thats legal if you plan to head to cmp games with it.

Soooo...you're not a cat?

...all this time...

Cat and Mauser :D

Hot damn I want a Swede really bad. I can't buy anything else until I move this year though. Just bought a Smith Corona 03A3 with original stock/barrel that gauges at 1 and I'm taking it out later today with my 'standard' 168gr loads I think.
Not a real cat. I just acted like one in my youth, when I wasn't as ugly.
fritz-the-cat-movie-poster-1972-1010264537.jpg
My first milsurp is a Swede. I can't shoot the open sights as well as I can a good peep, like on my 03a3, a Smith Carmona like yours. But I agree the M38 is damn sharp looking.
I have had great luck shooting the 03. I hope to go to VT next year to the CMP match.

Post 1 of 2

Finally got some time to hit the range this weekend with two of my favorite milsurps to shoot. With a young son (he's 5 months old already!) and other commitments range time can be hard to come by.

20190127_125412.jpg

First up is my 1917 Swedish M96. She was refurbished and re-barrelled at the Stockholm arsenal during her service life. She's matching except for some small parts (floor plate, rear sight, ejector/bolt stop). One of my favorite shooters.

20190127_140451.jpg

Close up...
20190127_140512.jpg

Looks like 97 to my eyes... if not please correct me. It's hard to see but the hole on the left edge of the 10 ring is two separate shots in one hole.

If anyone's interested I was shooting some handloads. 140gr Hornady BTHP Match bullets over a fairly mild charge of 41gr of Reloader 22. Neck sized/un-crimped PPU brass. It shoots well and doesn't add any unnecessary stress to my Swede....but, your mileage may vary.

Post 2 of 2

The second rifle I took out was my 1918 Winchester M1917 with its original 2-18 dated barrel. The barrel's still pretty dark after a bunch of cleaning but the rifling is sharp.

20190127_140829.jpg

Close up.....

20190127_140851.jpg

Too bad I pulled one outside the black :(. Looks like 93 with 1x... if I'm wrong please let me know! The hole at the bottom of the 10 ring is two in one.

The load I found that works for my M1917 is 175gr Sierra MatchKings over 47gr of IMR4895 (this is within published loads but the usual disclaimers apply...). I had tried some IMR4350 I had on hand but I couldn't get consistent results (I was getting one or two random fliers in 5 shot groups). IMR4895 was much more consistent for me and I found 47-47.5gr is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Sir...you are underestimating yourself.

You, at the very least, just TIED first place for bragging rights...but you may very well have just 'sealed the deal' with a 99 2X!

Your first target is a 98 or a 99 2X and your second target is a 95 2X! If it breaks the line, it counts.

VERY nice rifles, and even nicer shooting!

Hot damn I 'need' an M96...wtf?!?!

Stand by for the judges decision...

**whispering**

PAGING @Mountain

Last edited:
he load I found that works for my M1917 is 175gr Sierra MatchKings over 47gr of IMR4895 (this is within published loads but the usual disclaimers apply...). I had tried some IMR4350 I had on hand but I couldn't get consistent results (I was getting one or two random fliers in 5 shot groups). IMR4895 was much more consistent for me and I found 47-47.5gr is the sweet spot.

P.S. I coincidentally decided to start working up a load for my Winchester M1917 with pristine original (3-18) barrel (gauges at 1 and has no signs of pitting) and had settled on a 175gr projectile after a bit of research. I'm going to start a little lower for safety sake, but will likely just end up stealing your load data. Thank you for posting that.

P.S. I coincidentally decided to start working up a load for my Winchester M1917 with pristine original (3-18) barrel (gauges at 1 and has no signs of pitting) and had settled on a 175gr projectile after a bit of research. I'm going to start a little lower for safety sake, but will likely just end up stealing your load data. Thank you for posting that.
Dont dismiss lower end of load data.
So far other than some AR loads my milsurp loads are performing best for me at the lower end of data.
Unless Im punching past 200 I see no reason to load any hotter than needed

Sir...you are underestimating yourself.

You, at the very least, just TIED first place for bragging rights...but you may very well have just 'sealed the deal' with a 99 2X!

Your first target is a 98 or a 99 2X and your second target is a 95 2X! If it breaks the line, it counts.

VERY nice rifles, and even nicer shooting!

Hot damn I 'need' an M96...wtf?!?!

Stand by for the judges decision...

**whispering**

PAGING @Mountain
Winter ends March 20th....plenty of time for a few clean targets.

Dont dismiss lower end of load data.
So far other than some AR loads my milsurp loads are performing best for me at the lower end of data.
Unless Im punching past 200 I see no reason to load any hotter than needed

If you should know anything about me by now, it's that I've definitely followed your lead on LOW end data and beyond. I love my pussy loads for the Garand, and 99% of them cycle the ones I shoot at CMP matches, so why switch? I'm saving 4+ grains of powder and my shoulder by not loading to the guineas specs!

If you should know anything about me by now, it's that I've definitely followed your lead on LOW end data and beyond. I love my pussy loads for the Garand, and 99% of them cycle the ones I shoot at CMP matches, so why switch? I'm saving 4+ grains of powder and my shoulder by not loading to the guineas specs!
I dont know what Franco runs for garands/30-06?
Heck I dont know what he runs for M1a
I have been loading 168s at 42 grains H4895
Love to get some nice 175g match bullets like used in 06 and 308 match ammo?

I think he told me once that I should be using 47gr of Varget. All my rifles seem to cope with 43gr all the way out to 600yds, but i’m Fairly positive i’m losing accuracy at those distances.

The pro shop I order my projectiles from online has has 175’s in stock fairly regularly as of late.

I think he told me once that I should be using 47gr of Varget. All my rifles seem to cope with 43gr all the way out to 600yds, but i’m Fairly positive i’m losing accuracy at those distances.

The pro shop I order my projectiles from online has has 175’s in stock fairly regularly as of late.
Non of my rifles grouped well past 46 grains and that was a loose standard. I was holding to.
Most of my milsurps are minute of black with good ammo a little better with tuned ammo.

Looks like a 97, either 1X or 2X. I'm seeing some black between the hole and the next line. Regardless, damn fine shooting.

Non of my rifles grouped well past 46 grains and that was a loose standard. I was holding to.
Most of my milsurps are minute of black with good ammo a little better with tuned ammo.

I have a note at home regarding a Guinea-matic load. I'm usually in that 46.5 grn Varget range.

Spent Sunday wrestling with the boiler- couldn't get service for a day or two, so F it, did it myself. Had to drive to Auburn for one part and Gardner to get the other. Hopefully next weekend I'll get to the range. If I run some TMK's that I made for Vermont but didn't shoot- they are dynamite in my NM Garand clone.

I'm gonna have to go through this thread and see what I still haven't shot for score yet.
I think for rifle for true milsurps it's just my M1s and my SKS, clones notwithstanding.

I took the Friday off before my birthday so if the conditions qualify, maybe I'll just do a bunch of targets.

I'm gonna have to go through this thread and see what I still haven't shot for score yet.
I think for rifle for true milsurps it's just my M1s and my SKS, clones notwithstanding.

I took the Friday off before my birthday so if the conditions qualify, maybe I'll just do a bunch of targets.

Keep some snow in your freezer so you can toss it on the ground at your range- just in case the temps are above freezing. :D

Majspud gets a pass on weather conditions. I'm open to others getting a pass, but their justification has to meet the same standard- you have to flat line at least twice. [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom