Advice: 22LR Revolver or Semi?

Hi, I just completed an excellent handgun intro course by GOAL and already have my MA Right to Carry Permit. I'd like to purchase my 1st pistol and thought a 22LR revolver might be a good choice especially since I'd like to introduce my 17y/o daughter to shooting. While it appears that revolvers (e.g., S&W Model 617) are more expensive than Semi's, Revolvers seem much simplier to use and clean. Questions: Can one easily mount a scope on a revolver? Do you agree that a 22LR revolver purchase for a beginner is better than buying a semi? Any additional comments are most welcomed!

Does anyone have one interested in selling?

Do you agree that a 22LR revolver purchase for a beginner is better than buying a semi?

Actually either one can be a good first purchase although my personal recommendation would be the revolver for a beginner due to the simpler manual of arms (that is, the operation thereof). This I fel allows you to concentrate more on marksmanship and safe firearms handling although this can vary from individual to individual.

The best advice is generally to try to borrow or use a friend's firearm or rent at a range before you buy one. That can be a cheaper alternative than buying and finding out that you don't care for what you bought.

I'm in a similar position, though I'm still waiting for my LTC to show up. I shot a 22LR revolver in my class, but I'm planning to buy a 22 semi-auto. My class also included shooting a variety of centerfire semi-autos. Cleaning all 10 chambers of the 22 wheelgun was a pain in the ass. Of course, from what I hear, ask me about that again once I've reassembled a ruger 22 pistol. I think once it's loaded, a semi is easier to operate. With the revolver, you either have to cock the hammer, or deal with the DA trigger pull.

J22005.jpg

S&W 617 6" 10 shot with a CMOR red dot

Ruger MKIII with UltraDot

As for the use and care of either, more guns are ruined by too much cleaning than anything else.

The revolver cleans very easily as does the Ruger once you learn how to do it. Shooting a revolver double action will give you proper trigger pull/sight alignment fundamentals that will carry over into your semi auto shooting.

If you want to shoot either or both of mine, send an e mail and be ready to drive to Cape Cod [smile]

Last edited:
As for the use and care of either, more guns are ruined by too much cleaning than anything else.
[smile]

+1 to that.

If I could only have one .22 pistol it would be the Ruger MK III Semi-auto with traditional iron sights. Oh, wait, I do only have one .22 pistol and that's exactly what it is.

-Cuz.

The scope mount on my Ruger Mk. II is a clamp - NO holes required AND it allows the use of the original sights.

I use the open sights for 25' (my club shoots at ridiculously close distances) and the 1.5 scope for 50'.

Actually either one can be a good first purchase
+1

I would go for the revolver. IMO it is a little more goof proof due to its intuitive loading and reloading and certainty regarding whether or not the firearm is made safe.
One thing that you can do with a revolver that you can't do with a semi is put an already fired round or two in the cylinder with your live ammo to see if you are anticipating the shot by flinching or pushing the gun.
Either way, semi or wheel gun, they're both great.
As for scope mounting I, personally, am not a huge fan except for competition in an optics allowed class or hunting but the Ruger MKII or MKIII are very, very easy to mount to; if that is a major component in your decision making.
My recommendations would be S&W 617, Ruger bearcat or single-six for revolvers; although the two Rugers are single action they are great shooters for around $350. As for semis the Ruger MKII(used) or MKIII(used or new) are excellent and the S&W 22a is another low cost possibility. Good luck.

Like others have said, you can't really go wrong wither way.

I would not worry too much about the "complexity" of a semi. You'll figure it out in a hurry (even the excellent, but notoriously-difficult-to-assemble-the-first-few-times Ruger MkII/III).

There are lots of good options. There is a members shoot VERY soon. If you were to join, you could attend and try lots of different guns... and shoot a few pumpkins! I'm not sure if I'll make it, but if I do, I'll bring my Ruger and Buckmark semi .22.

Matt

.22lr semis are the least reliable of all semis. They can be VERY picky about ammo and very frustrating. I wouldn't like a newby to get a bad feeling about shooting with his very first gun.

For a first gun, I'd go with a wheel gun.

.22lr semis are the least reliable of all semis. They can be VERY picky about ammo and very frustrating. I wouldn't like a newby to get a bad feeling about shooting with his very first gun.

For a first gun, I'd go with a wheel gun.

+1 to that. If I find a type of .22 ammo for a good price, I buy it, because I KNOW my 617 will shoot it, no problems.

I'll never regret buying the wheel gun, and I have no interest in getting a .22 target pistol.

Back
Top Bottom