ATF E-Forms Submission wait time

I dont see where there would be an issue if the application was sent in prior to 20JUL.

Here .......... does this help your understanding?

However, it is unclear whether State law permits the possessor of such an "assault weapon" to make an NFA firearm out of the assault weapon after this date, or whether State law would prohibit this action.

Doesn't mean a damn thing and doesn't change our previous understanding: We knew this to be the case on 21 July 2016.

What your missing is their focus and inclusion of the action "to make" as stated in the response.

A form 1 application for an SBR is "to make" an NFA item

So we are at the very least double fukked for the time being

This is probably a dumb question, but has anyone written to Healey's office specifically regarding the ATF's notification and asking how they plan on resolving the issue?

Might help shed some light...

EDIT: OK so against my better judgement I emailed the AG's office. Didn't use specifics or reference this thread of course. Just wanted some clarification on the matter. Will post if I get a reply.

Last edited:
Has any MA residents received back an approved 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate recently? Since the new AG ruling? How long did it take?

Has any MA residents received back an approved 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate recently? Since the new AG ruling? How long did it take?

I just mailed mine the other day..form 20 to leave the state wont be a problem.
Now if you filed to bring into MA you might have a problem.

Ill update when im approved. My guess is less than 30 days

I just mailed mine the other day..form 20 to leave the state wont be a problem.
Now if you filed to bring into MA you might have a problem.

Ill update when im approved. My guess is less than 30 days

I don't recall the exact date I sent mine in, It was probably 2nd week of December

I sent one in first week of december, for the nes NH shoots. we'll see…

Received my approved 5320.20 forms today. Like I said, I don't remember exactly when I sent mine in, but the 30 day estimate sounds right.

FYI, I have a form 4 pending. Sent in and acknowledged by registered receipt in November.

I called NFA yesterday asking on status, and to make sure it was in the system. Nice girl told me it was not in yet, they're still entering data and adding forms from September 2016.

Check back later [thinking]

This is probably a dumb question, but has anyone written to Healey's office specifically regarding the ATF's notification and asking how they plan on resolving the issue?

Might help shed some light...

EDIT: OK so against my better judgement I emailed the AG's office. Didn't use specifics or reference this thread of course. Just wanted some clarification on the matter. Will post if I get a reply.
You won't get a response same as ATF won't either. That should speak volumes. If Mauras guidance was dead set law, then giving the ATF clarification would be no problem but Maura knows her guidance is illegal and unconstitutional so she ain't saying shit that could put her thru the federal ringer at a later date.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You won't get a response same as ATF won't either. That should speak volumes. If Mauras guidance was dead set law, then giving the ATF clarification would be no problem but Maura knows her guidance is illegal and unconstitutional so she ain't saying shit that could put her thru the federal ringer at a later date.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

She also realizes that once guidance is given, we will find a way around it. The best way to avoid work arounds is to simply not provide guidance at all.

999 DAY'S FOR AN E-FORM TO BE APROVED
999 DAY'S 1 DAY GOES BY AND I CRY 998 DAY'S

998 DAY'S FOR AN E-FORM TO BE APROVED
998 DAY'S 1 DAY GOES BY AND I CRY 997 DAY'S

Last edited:
Posting with permission from the recipient ............

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: January 6, 2017 at 8:35 AM
Subject: RE: Ask the Expert Question from XXXXXXXX
OK – your application is on hold due to an issue with Massachusetts State law. Massachusetts law prohibits the possession and transfer of assault weapons and “copies or duplicates” of these firearms. On July 20, 2016, the Massachusetts Attorney General clarified the meaning of "copies or duplicates of banned assault rifles, including copies of the Colt AR-15'" under State law. Using two distinct tests, the Attorney General determined that a weapon is a copy or duplicate "if its internal operating system is essentially the same as those of a specifically-banned weapon or if the gun has key functional components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon."

The notice makes clear that the guidance will not be enforced against gun owners who bought or sold these weapons prior to July 20, 2016. However, it is unclear whether State law permits the possessor of such an "assault weapon" to make an NFA firearm out of the assault weapon after this date, or whether State law would prohibit this action. Because 26 U.S.C. 5822 requires that ATF deny any application to make an NFA firearm if the making “would place the person making the firearm in violation of the law,” ATF is seeking guidance from the Massachusetts Attorney General before it acts on any applications.

Once this issue is resolved, your application will be processed.

Much to my amazement, the individual referenced above received his APPROVED E-FILED FORM 1, TRUST, today!
(yes I have seen it with my own two eye's)

His for was for an SBR built on a lower receiver with dedicated Glock magazine well in 9mm. He responded to the above reply that he got from ATF above, with clarifying facts distinguishing his build from those firearms being classified as assault weapons.

Either ATF saw things his way for this one submission, or the floodgates have opened. [banana]

Great news, if you can please post wether it was a rifle or pistol caliber you had approved any any other details you feel like sharing. Just curious to see if any so-called AWB items being approved.

Back
Top Bottom