• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

With p=10 and I =10 I still over shot by 30 degrees when I played with d. I tried D at 10, 100 and a 1000. I looks to be functional but the two heating elements heat up so fast at full power that they keep heating +30 degrees.

Last edited:
We poured the next round of test bullets yesterday and I have two, two pound test runs coated and drying. I did try out my new 6 cavity .312 155 2r mold yesterday and it’s the best out of the box Lee mold to date. It was raining bullets with just a soapy wash. No leeification required. Hoping to tune the big oven today and run some test bakes.

We poured the next round of test bullets yesterday and I have two, two pound test runs coated and drying. I did try out my new 6 cavity .312 155 2r mold yesterday and it’s the best out of the box Lee mold to date. It was raining bullets with just a soapy wash. No leeification required. Hoping to tune the big oven today and run some test bakes.
what are you running the 312 in ?

Most likely they are going to go through a SKS. I picked up the Dillon conversion kit the other week.
I had a lit of fun running cast in the sks/ak loved when range folks would stop and tell me how bad my ammo was and how its not supposed to be cast . Same folks where all up in arms when I ran 200 rounds of cast througj the AR . These guys will probably drop dead if I ever run cast in the M1a.

Had trouble finding 12 ga slugs last year around this time and after sighting in the shot gun, only had a handful left for hunting ( and unfortunately still have them).

I bought a lee 7/8oz slug mold and cast some 12ga slugs with what I had left in the pot. Using the Art Pencil test for hardness, it’s around 14 Bhn

The mold instructions say to use pure lead, but if you use hard lead, then multiply by .93 to calculate slug weight.
7/8 oz = .875 oz
.93 x 7/8oz if using Linotype = .8137 oz.

The slugs are weighing .8110-.8140oz

Question is, do I need to adjust the powder down for (lighter) hard lead slugs ?

Will be using BPI#078 wads and likely Winchester super X hulls. Not sure on what powder yet. Have a bit of Red Dot and 4 or 5 other choices so I’ll try a few.

Had trouble finding 12 ga slugs last year around this time and after sighting in the shot gun, only had a handful left for hunting ( and unfortunately still have them).

I bought a lee 7/8oz slug mold and cast some 12ga slugs with what I had left in the pot. Using the Art Pencil test for hardness, it’s around 14 Bhn

The mold instructions say to use pure lead, but if you use hard lead, then multiply by .93 to calculate slug weight.
7/8 oz = .875 oz
.93 x 7/8oz if using Linotype = .8137 oz.

The slugs are weighing .8110-.8140oz

Question is, do I need to adjust the powder down for (lighter) hard lead slugs ?

Will be using BPI#078 wads and likely Winchester super X hulls. Not sure on what powder yet. Have a bit of Red Dot and 4 or 5 other choices so I’ll try a few.
You should be fine with the published data close to tour weight. You will have more fluctuation in pressure between primer manufactures and wad/crimp pressure.

As far as my success with the lee slugs, my accuracy started to really crap out around 1250fps. And just got worse after 1350

Lee Key slug does well with as pure as you can get. The “harder” the alloy it does not like to release from the “key drive”
I have even casted zinc lee slugs and they will stick to your lee mold …. I forget what the weighed but they shot just as well as the lead ones.

You should be fine with the published data close to tour weight. You will have more fluctuation in pressure between primer manufactures and wad/crimp pressure.

Lee Key slug does well with as pure as you can get. The “harder” the alloy it does not like to release from the “key drive”
I have even casted zinc lee slugs and they will stick to your lee mold …. I forget what the weighed but they shot just as well as the lead ones.
View attachment 540051
Very first x39 that has come off the press. Now to add primer and powder and off to the range to test.
Looks good

7BEA998F-FAA0-4E77-9E7F-F2DE9EA7A384.jpeg
First coated x39 through the SKS… 11.5 and 12 gr of 2400 didn’t cycle but 13+ did. I only had 13 bullets coated. So far I don’t think I have a leading issue but I’m giving it a good scrubbing. She was a dirty girl before I started.

The PID on the oven and the extra insulation is working out great. Only problem I now have is the top of the oven doesn’t emit a lot of heat to preheat the bullets going in. Not a problem in the winter because I have the wood stove cranking from now to May. I did add in an additional 10% acetone to my mix and found that has been helping. I need to pour some more and keep at it. But definitely the PID Is a good enhancement.

Just for knowledge I played around a bit back in 2014 testing .308 jacketed 165gr Spitzers in my Yugo Opap AK . I loaded with a quick burning rifle powder Benchmark at 22.2 gr and they shot good and excellent cycling . Per my data I shot 3.4 MOA at 100 yds. Maybe my Opap has a tight bore, I don't know but for me it is an option if I can't find .311-.312's . Unfortunately I didn't have a chronograph at the time so I can't share any velocities.

Anyone ever have an issue with their lee 4 20 pot over heating? My pot even when set to one runs the temp up past 800. I’ve stopped dropping lead back into the pot because I have the layer of sawdust on the top. Might be time for a PID on the pot.
Are you letting it get low? you can fill the pot even with a carbon cover on the melt
It needs to be at least 1/3 full or the temp skyrockets (in my experience)

As far as PIDs - shameless plug as I've got parts for one on the bench and can put together a few more if there is serious interest.

Are you letting it get low? you can fill the pot even with a carbon cover on the melt
It needs to be at least 1/3 full or the temp skyrockets (in my experience)

As far as PIDs - shameless plug as I've got parts for one on the bench and can put together a few more if there is serious interest.
This is even with a full pot.

Back
Top Bottom