Cabelas becoming Dicks?

One of the US biggest hunting supply stores against posting photos of hunting.

Hmmm....wonder how that will work out for them?

These PC idiots in these companies continue to kick themselves in the ass, then sit there and wonder what happened when they lose a shxtload of business.

I was afraid of this when BassPro bought them. I think it was a mistake by the Cabela family - but inheritance taxes are a bitch and I bet the kids went to ‘the best’ colleges and were promptly brainwashed.

Just hoping to build enough points for another ACOG before they stop carrying them.

I was afraid of this when BassPro bought them. I think it was a mistake by the Cabela family - but inheritance taxes are a bitch and I bet the kids went to ‘the best’ colleges and were promptly brainwashed.

Just hoping to build enough points for another ACOG before they stop carrying them.

I was afraid of the same thing. Couple that with their assanine policies in the MA store--specifically that they won't let you ship ammo to the store for pickup, and their refusal to order it for you in the store--and you've got a really bad omen for the future of Cabelas. Glad I got my hunting gear when I did, I always felt the Cabelas brand stuff was better than the AssPro shit, and leaps and bounds above the garbage Dickholes put out as their Field and Stream brand.

I am not a hunter and I have found everything shooting related at Cabellas to be over priced. I stopped by the location in Hudson once and couldn’t even get the time of day from the folks in the ‘gun library’ or whatever they call it. Needless to say, they don’t get any of my business and likely won’t in the future, especially now regarding the OP.

My hunting buddy and I were just talking last week about how Cabellas has gone downhill. He has a place in Wells so I asked him why do you bother with them being so close to KTP? He reply was ya, I know.

BPS buying out Cabelas wasn't some conspurrusurr. It wasn't to reduce hunting access to gun-toting Americans.

It was eliminating competition, plain and simple. Both stores have expanded SIGNIFICANTLY in the last decade or two. They run up against each other in too many markets. Saturation is at hand. Having BPS buy out Cabela's ensures that the combined stores will survive in the future.

Honestly, with your local gun store, gun shows and Amazon, do you really need a hunting store???? BPS is about a lot more than that. Boating, for one. It's a HUGE boat retailer. HUGE.

I foresee BPS rebranding the Cabela's stores as BPS within the next 5 years and making the Cabela's name just a clothing line or something. Maybe have a higher-tier level of clothes and other items branded as Cabela's.

To be fair: This was the best alternative for the consumer. Otherwise there would have been a war which would have taken a toll on both companies and possibly closed them both down in a battle to open more and more lower-and-lower profit stores. They'd have pulled a Sears/JCPenney move.

Does it stink that they are moving away from hunting and shooting? I guess. I never really bought a lot of shooting or hunting stuff from Cabellerz back in the non-local-store days. It's a nice store up there on 495. I've never thought of BPS-type store to be my go-to gun-buying store anyhow. I'd rather patronize the local guy for that. Because of issues like this.

Bottom line: I'm not surprised. If you look at this like a business (which it is - not our personal playground), this is a natural progression.

EDIT: As far as her reasons - I can see HUGE reasons why BPS/Cabela's doesn't really want African hunt pix up right now. Yeah yeah yeah, bleep the PC police. But it isn't just them. The majority of "regular" people are pretty much against it. Time to just lay low until the next Harambe or something. Glocks out for Harambe!

I was afraid of the same thing. Couple that with their assanine policies in the MA store--specifically that they won't let you ship ammo to the store for pickup, and their refusal to order it for you in the store--and you've got a really bad omen for the future of Cabelas. Glad I got my hunting gear when I did, I always felt the Cabelas brand stuff was better than the AssPro shit, and leaps and bounds above the garbage Dickholes put out as their Field and Stream brand.
Call me old fashioned I don't care.....but my hunting gear consists of carhaart or Johnson woolen mills. All that goretex crap at the big stores doesn't last worth a damn.

Call me old fashioned I don't care.....but my hunting gear consists of carhaart or Johnson woolen mills. All that goretex crap at the big stores doesn't last worth a damn.

Do they make Blaze Orange insulated bibs and parkas? Actual question, not being sarcastic.

Do they make Blaze Orange insulated bibs and parkas? Actual question, not being sarcastic.
Johnson's makes a blaze orange wool parka see below. Not "insulated" as I believe your looking for. But the wool is thick as hell. I've never seen blaze orange bibs....those come in hunter green or red plaid. I wear the green wool coat with carhaart coveralls for deer season and put on an orange vest.

Johnson's wool clothing will last a lifetime. And yes.....it's 100% made in the USA.

Reversible Wool Hunting Jacket - Made In The USA

Johnson's makes a blaze orange wool parka see below. Not "insulated" as I believe your looking for. But the wool is thick as hell. I've never seen blaze orange bibs....those come in hunter green or red plaid. I wear the green wool coat with carhaart coveralls for deer season and put on an orange vest.

Johnson's wool clothing will last a lifetime. And yes.....it's 100% made in the USA.

Reversible Wool Hunting Jacket - Made In The USA

There is no substitute for good tight weave wool clothing. Yes it is on the heavier side but it sheds water, stops wind, and keeps you warm no matter what for several lifetimes if taken care of

I have my great uncles Carter wool hunting jacket and I still wear it some every year if it gets cold enough. It has needed some repairs to the sleeves and cuffs over the years but it is going strong.

One thing I have noticed since the Bass Pro -Cabelas merger is their website search function sucks and you get a ton of responses that aren’t related to your search.

Bob

There is no substitute for good tight weave wool clothing. Yes it is on the heavier side but it sheds water, stops wind, and keeps you warm no matter what for several lifetimes if taken care of

I have my great uncles Carter wool hunting jacket and I still wear it some every year if it gets cold enough. It has needed some repairs to the sleeves and cuffs over the years but it is going strong.

One thing I have noticed since the Bass Pro -Cabelas merger is their website search function sucks and you get a ton of responses that aren’t related to your search.

Bob
My bro in law hunted snow shoe hare with me and my boy a couple years ago up in Maine. Bought a brand new pair of Gore Tex bibs and a parka fo the trip. They were camoflage and I forget what brand they were but they were not cheap. They were shredded after 3 days in the woods. I've been wearing the same carhaarts and wool clothes for a decade. Still going strong. I've never been cold or wet.

This is too bad. When I was a kid I loved reading the Cabela's caralogs. I wished forever there was a Cabela's store near me. I always liked the gear at Cabela's better than bass pro. I still wear the same Cabela's camo from 25 years ago. I hope they don't take the turn towards a "modern" out door store. We have enough REI's and Sierra Trading's.

Back when I hunted I used clothing almost exclusively from Cabelas. They had some really good, rugged and quiet clothing. It is sad to hear that they have gone downhill.

Folks all I can say is, Send emails to Bass Pro Shops main office in Springfield, Missouri and let them know your displeasure and that you will act accordingly.
+1

This needs to be done. They need to see how many repeat customers they are going to lose for bowing to the SJW crowd instead of the people that actually pay their salaries.

I am not a hunter and I have found everything shooting related at Cabellas to be over priced. I stopped by the location in Hudson once and couldn’t even get the time of day from the folks in the ‘gun library’ or whatever they call it. Needless to say, they don’t get any of my business and likely won’t in the future, especially now regarding the OP.
I was at BP the night they opened the store in MA. Gun prices were MSRP, no thank you.

I was at Cabela's "soft opening" in Hudson, MA. No used handguns, pitiful collection of used rifles/shotguns (vs. Scarborough ME store). Accessory prices were MSRP, something that caught my eye for ~$30 I looked up on Amazon and it was $10 cheaper, no thanks.

Since BP screwed GOAL and the Women's group, I haven't been back there and won't! Passed by Cabela's in Hudson a few times and just kept on going.

I won't miss either one of them when they quit the gun business. I just find it humorous and hypocritical that they both have large exhibits of mounted heads (BP) and animals on a "mountain" (Cabela's) but suddenly are very righteous about someone hunting in Africa!

FWIW guys, EVERY piece of clothing you bought 10 or 25 years ago lasted longer than it does today. DUHHH!!

I had a client once who's FIL owned a furniture store. He said that, sure, you can pay for quality. At the time a decent couch cost $2,000. Made in the USA. Hardwood construction. Yada yada. He said they were getting killed (they ultimately went out of business) because people wanted a $450 couch that looked cool. They were willing to deal with the thing falling apart within 5 years because they'd want something that looked different by then anyhow.

Same with clothing. You can FIND quality clothing. You won't find it at 5, 10 or 25 years-ago prices. Inflation at that b-word up! If you want quality, you're going to pay through the nose for it. An LL Bean (their quality suxxx! LOL) bulletproof T-shirt is $25. $18-20 when you can get it on sale. I can get a J Crew shirt that looks identical for $18. $8 on sale. The Crew shirt will last about a year. LL Bean? Several years. Just the quality and thickness of the fabric.

People want a bargain. So you won't find the best-of-the-best at Cabela's for $89. It just isn't there. It's OK. As we go more and more to a faster and faster paced society, clothing needs to last less and less to keep the price-point down so that people can afford to buy your jacket this year and that cool one from XYZ stores next year and ABC stores the next. You can still find last-for-years clothing. It just isn't in a major-market retailer for the most part.

FWIW guys, EVERY piece of clothing you bought 10 or 25 years ago lasted longer than it does today. DUHHH!!

I had a client once who's FIL owned a furniture store. He said that, sure, you can pay for quality. At the time a decent couch cost $2,000. Made in the USA. Hardwood construction. Yada yada. He said they were getting killed (they ultimately went out of business) because people wanted a $450 couch that looked cool. They were willing to deal with the thing falling apart within 5 years because they'd want something that looked different by then anyhow.

Same with clothing. You can FIND quality clothing. You won't find it at 5, 10 or 25 years-ago prices. Inflation at that b-word up! If you want quality, you're going to pay through the nose for it. An LL Bean (their quality suxxx! LOL) bulletproof T-shirt is $25. $18-20 when you can get it on sale. I can get a J Crew shirt that looks identical for $18. $8 on sale. The Crew shirt will last about a year. LL Bean? Several years. Just the quality and thickness of the fabric.

People want a bargain. So you won't find the best-of-the-best at Cabela's for $89. It just isn't there. It's OK. As we go more and more to a faster and faster paced society, clothing needs to last less and less to keep the price-point down so that people can afford to buy your jacket this year and that cool one from XYZ stores next year and ABC stores the next. You can still find last-for-years clothing. It just isn't in a major-market retailer for the most part.
This!

That's why I pointed out Johnson woolen mills. They are a smallish company. Not sold in big box stores. You can order online and their products can be found at kitttery trading Post and some smaller hunting outfitters. The coats are $200 to $300 and the quality is about the same as it was decades ago. In fact they have not changed the design for most of their stuff in over 50 years. The design is simple.....not exactly "stylish" according to today's standards........but the deer and other game don't care. The coat keeps me warm and dry and lasts forever. I don't like buying new stuff every couple of years.......

I agree that they have gone downhill since bp bought them. the Cabela's branded cloths were so much better quality. It's hard to find stuff that fits me and is comfortable and last for long time. One thing that I have got for a long time is pj bottoms, the new (redhead) ones that I just got are about half as heavy as the Cabela's brand.
Looks like I'll have to try some ware else from now on.

If you buy ANYTHING at Cabela's and BP, except in a pinch, you need to kill yourself. Their prices are ridiculous. I support small businesses, preferably veteran owned. Plenty of them out there, with better gear, better prices, better knowledge and certainly better customer service. Screw these oversized Fudd stores, their politics, and the corporations that own them.

Cabela’s has been shit for years.
Let’s say when they stopped shipping those inexpensive black powder rifle/pistol kits to Ma. Had a lot of fun building those back when. Oh that’s was also when you could pick up black powder at the hardware store.
I’m not even that old so it’s changed pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom