Cabelas becoming Dicks?

Just my 2 cents here. I have my old wool gear, jackets and bibs and pants. Still wear it under the right conditions (dry weather and no snow). Still the quietest stuff around for hunting.

However, if I had to choose only one, I will take my technical clothing over wool any and every day. When I go duck hunting (where even on dry days there are wet dogs and decoys ) it will be my Saddlecloth or Gortex/ thinsulate bibs every time. The worse the weather gets, the better the duck hunting and deer hunting get. I can't wait for wet, windy, snow days for deer in mid November to mid December. Gortex or similar coat / bibs overtime. I don't own a pair of hunting boots that aren't gortex. My work boots are 50/ 50.

When I go out skiing in negative or single digits, its not wool I have on.

I tried the Gore Tex stuff. I'm down to Gore Tex lined boots, with different levels of thinsulate and Gore Tex lined leather gloves, with 200 grams of thinsulate.. The rest, give me wool.

Last edited:
BPS buying out Cabelas wasn't some conspurrusurr. It wasn't to reduce hunting access to gun-toting Americans.

It was eliminating competition, plain and simple. Both stores have expanded SIGNIFICANTLY in the last decade or two. They run up against each other in too many markets. Saturation is at hand. Having BPS buy out Cabela's ensures that the combined stores will survive in the future.

Honestly, with your local gun store, gun shows and Amazon, do you really need a hunting store???? BPS is about a lot more than that. Boating, for one. It's a HUGE boat retailer. HUGE.

I foresee BPS rebranding the Cabela's stores as BPS within the next 5 years and making the Cabela's name just a clothing line or something. Maybe have a higher-tier level of clothes and other items branded as Cabela's.

To be fair: This was the best alternative for the consumer. Otherwise there would have been a war which would have taken a toll on both companies and possibly closed them both down in a battle to open more and more lower-and-lower profit stores. They'd have pulled a Sears/JCPenney move.

Does it stink that they are moving away from hunting and shooting? I guess. I never really bought a lot of shooting or hunting stuff from Cabellerz back in the non-local-store days. It's a nice store up there on 495. I've never thought of BPS-type store to be my go-to gun-buying store anyhow. I'd rather patronize the local guy for that. Because of issues like this.

Bottom line: I'm not surprised. If you look at this like a business (which it is - not our personal playground), this is a natural progression.

EDIT: As far as her reasons - I can see HUGE reasons why BPS/Cabela's doesn't really want African hunt pix up right now. Yeah yeah yeah, bleep the PC police. But it isn't just them. The majority of "regular" people are pretty much against it. Time to just lay low until the next Harambe or something. Glocks out for Harambe!

It’s a dumb move. First it’s Legal African hunts then its deer hunts that show blood or those with a rifle in then or throws with a bow or those with scary camo paint or fish on hooks etc. the HSUS goal

Damn it .
Why is it people just don't resist the urge to f*ck things up now and then instead of running at it .
KTP just got more of my business.

Dunno, I get all my hand loading supplies at Cabelas (powder, primers, cases and bullets). It beats paying the extra fees to have a pound or 2 of powder shipped to the house. I haven't found anyone closer to home with a stock of stuff I use.
-mike

I remember speaking to the firearms manager at Dickheads about offering some defensive shooting lectures there. The mgr said "We don't sell defensive guns" I asked "So your customers are hunting with J-frame revolvers?"

I was truly disgusted when they bought Cabelas.

Dunno, I get all my hand loading supplies at Cabelas (powder, primers, cases and bullets). It beats paying the extra fees to have a pound or 2 of powder shipped to the house. I haven't found anyone closer to home with a stock of stuff I use.
-mike

The one in Connecticut has a great selection of reloading supplies and ammo. IDK about the one in Mass.

Connecticut permit required to purchase ammo there though.

Bob

On the wool coat comment,I got my grandfathers wool coat in 1984, he died in 1973. I’ve worn it every winter since. Still perfectly warm.

I remember speaking to the firearms manager at Dickheads about offering some defensive shooting lectures there. The mgr said "We don't sell defensive guns" I asked "So your customers are hunting with J-frame revolvers?"

I was truly disgusted when they bought Cabelas.
Here comes another len "do you know who I am story" about when he spoke to Cabelas corporate counsel in Berlin when they opened up. No, they didn't know who he was (they don't live on gun chatrooms) and no, they didn't care who he thought he was.

Thanks

Folks all I can say is, Send emails to Bass Pro Shops main office in Springfield, Missouri and let them know your displeasure and that you will act accordingly.

Or you can simply vote with your feet and let nature take its course . . .

Call me old fashioned I don't care.....but my hunting gear consists of carhaart or Johnson woolen mills. All that goretex crap at the big stores doesn't last worth a damn.

I'll not argue about wool...its great stuff and wears like iron, and keeps you warm, even when wet.

From my experience in actual use....

My Cabelas Goretex Snowmobile bibs and Jacket I bought ten years ago are the warmest thing Ive ever worn and have worn like iron. Anywhere above 20 degrees if i wear the jacket I sweat. And it stops wind like nothing else. Ive worn them ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiiing, and its my cold weather chore coat/and snow blowing stuff as well. You wouldn't wear them to hunt anything but ducks, or birds though, it's not quiet, but its tough, and would stand up to some serious bushwacking.

For hunting I have the soft fleece stuff, its light, dries quick, quiet and with gore tex its water proof...it's lasted quite well over the years, but I don't bust a lot of brush with it, its mostly for standing and still hunting and bowhunting. I know this stuff would not wear as tough as wool, but I don't like heavy cloth when I'm hunting.

I think my current hunting jacket has about nearly 10 years on it now, and it's in great shape. Bought two of them at the bargain bay for under 100 each, one for me and one for my son. It was an off camo pattern that was older, with the gore tex, thinsulate, and useless scent lok they had marked way down. I have no complaints. Most of this stuff I bought at the bargain bay or on end of year sale, or on the cheap.

As for what they are making now....I have no idea, i've not had to buy any hunting clothes in years. The last thing I bought from them were their extreme goretex thinsulate gloves a few years ago. Warm and totally waterproof. I bought my first pair about 8 years ago and use them hard in winter, they wore out because they were soft nylon. But I still use them as shxtkicker gloves. The new pair has leather on the fingers, so someone must be listening.

My bird hunting stuff has mostly been from Dan's. Which is another great American made clothing store for briar proof stuff...its the cats ass. Not even that expensive either.

I have some nylon faced jeans from Cabelas that I can't complain about. 5 years old, serious brush and briars and in good shape. Will last another 5 at least.

I also use my share of Johnson woolens and Carthartt over the years, as well. I have migrated toward the fleece though over the years. I like it better for the type of hunting I do.

BP stuff has always been shxt. If they migrate towards that it will be the end, and if they play politics....well they dig their own grave.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like these are the "new, improved" version of the gloves:
Cabela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ Deluxe II Shooting Gloves : Cabela's
...and they don't come in small?? [thinking]

They run small anyway...like all the clothes do nowadays...WTF...I'm wearing XXL's with my Gore Tex, Extreme gloves. My wife's hands can barely fit into a Large size Cabelas glove.

Much like anything Under Armor....gotta wear at least a size bigger.

Thats where I love American Clothing stores like Dan's.......a Large is a Large, not built for some 5 foot Asian skinny dude.

They run small anyway...like all the clothes do nowadays...WTF...I'm wearing XXL's with my Gore Tex, Extreme gloves. My wife's hands can barely fit into a Large size Cabelas glove.

Much like anything Under Armor....gotta wear at least a size bigger.

Thats where I love American Clothing stores like Dan's.......a Large is a Large, not built for some 5 foot Asian skinny dude.
Is that a new innovation /w Cabela's? The previous pair (bought in 2014 I think) I took a small.

I was afraid of this when BassPro bought them. I think it was a mistake by the Cabela family - but inheritance taxes are a bitch and I bet the kids went to ‘the best’ colleges and were promptly brainwashed.

Just hoping to build enough points for another ACOG before they stop carrying them.
I think it was a hostile takeover. I'll google

Yup:
"hostile forced sale?"

My hunting buddy and I were just talking last week about how Cabellas has gone downhill. He has a place in Wells so I asked him why do you bother with them being so close to KTP? He reply was ya, I know.
Because KTP is an overpriced tourist trap?
what do I win?

Im sure the BPS/Cabelas bean counters factored in any , if any losses would come of any if this.
I doubt they will loose anything significant over this young lady leaving and no hunt pictures.
Im willing to bet Dicks did not loose much of anything dumping the guns/hunting sections.

what do I win?
KTP may be a bit touristy but I have bought a few lightly used guns and optics from them at a nice bargain long before the mad rush to get into firearms. My hunting gear was purchased from them before the internet became king and U Tube made people experts.

Show me one other store within reasonable distance to actually see and touch such a wide range of outdoor products.

what do I win?
I've found good deals on guns there from time to time. U just have to look. Ammo is over priced yes....I just leave it on the shelf. But just last Monday they had small pistol primers for $6 a pack when everyone other place is getting $9.....or don't have any.

I've outfitted my family with hunting irons out of ktp.....all used guns......and what other gun shop gives you 30 days to return a used gun if it doesn't work perfectly? I'll wait.

KTP may be a bit touristy but I have bought a few lightly used guns and optics from them at a nice bargain long before the mad rush to get into firearms. My hunting gear was purchased from them before the internet became king and U Tube made people experts.

Show me one other store within reasonable distance to actually see and touch such a wide range of outdoor products.
Got a new model browning a5 hunter there a little over a year ago. Used but barely......$465. The new ones list at the big box stores for $1100 and small shops for $1500. The thing has run like a top too I love it.

Back
Top Bottom