Canik TP9SF Anyone got one?

Anytime you want to see the receipt, including how much I lost in trade on this POS you are welcome to see it. I think it would be hard for most to believe that someone would make up at story like this. I really did like this pistol, but my life and the life of my family are for too valuable to me to trust on some Glock wannabe. This pistol was only intended as a target gun, nothing more, but even as a target gun it sucked ! Now my Glock 17, that's a pistol that has been 100% reliable, a weapon you can bet your life on. I can only hope that you believe that !

Why not just send back and give it a 2nd try.

have you contacted Canik? I've heard zero about their customer service so would be curious.

i guess you go through century arms.

http://www.centuryarms.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/TP9SALimitedLifetimeWarrantyPolicy_1.pdf

I just decided I did not want the pistol anymore. Too many headaches. I never owned a new pistol before that had so many failures. FTF, FTE and failure to go into battery. Others may think it's the best pistol in the world but I would never trust a weapon like that, especially with my life. And to add insult to injury this pistol was not nearly as accurate as my S&W SD9.Which I am sorry to say that I traded for the Canik.

I got to fire both the canik 9mm and the styer m9-a1, both mass compliant. The canik was decent, nothing really stood out but for a budget gun it wasn't bad at all. My local shop was selling for $370. Then I got to shoot the styer and was really pleased. I liked the grip better, the triangular sights were different but actually liked them, and the trigger felt a little smoother. Styer was $480 at the shop. If I could only spend $370 then I'd get the canik but for the difference of about $100 I'd take the styer every time. The initial feedback on the styer has been really good.

I don't own one (yet [smile]), but I've shot the Canik before. I was pretty impressed with it...nice shooter.

Just got back from the range with my Canik TP9SF and after putting 100 rounds down the pipe I have to say I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Shot ZVS 124gr, Fiocchi 115gr and WWB 115gr ammo through her and didn't have one issue with it cycling. I will say that I got real nervous on the first shot as the round was WAY off target, but the second and every other shot afterwards was in the area I was aiming. After the first two mags I could tell she was hitting slightly left, so after a very small front sight adjustment she was dead center. I swapped out to the larger hand swell and the gun felt great in my hand. For the money I think this was a great pickup.

I just decided I did not want the pistol anymore. Too many headaches. I never owned a new pistol before that had so many failures. FTF, FTE and failure to go into battery. Others may think it's the best pistol in the world but I would never trust a weapon like that, especially with my life. And to add insult to injury this pistol was not nearly as accurate as my S&W SD9.Which I am sorry to say that I traded for the Canik.

You haven't bought enough handguns, then. I guarantee that won't be the only one. [laugh]

I'm a Glock-head myself (I own more glocks than everything else combined) and I've had a few ****ed up glocks that had to go back to the factory for repair, out of the box, or at least to an armorer to get it repaired. I wouldn't judge a gun on one bad sample. So you allowed yourself to get soaked when you could have RMAed the gun? Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Mike

the compromise being? this thing has gotten great reviews since it's release. the only negative i've read to date is the one posted in this thread.

First of all, the Walther is a much better built gun. Hold them side to side - there's no comparison. I'd also be quite a bit more confident that Walther will be around to sell spare parts for quite some time to come - Canik, who knows? Finally, there might be a little jimmy rustling going on. Walther designed what is clearly a fantastic firing mechanism, and put it in some guns (P99/PPQ) that for whatever reason (poor marketing, sporadic availability, price) never sold very well. It irritates me to see a firm that specializes in ripping off designs succeed where the original innovator failed. Maybe the P99 was just too ahead of its time, maybe the $600 they used to ask was just too much, but if I was going to buy another gun of that design, I'd pony up the $450 and get a Walther.

First of all, the Walther is a much better built gun. Hold them side to side - there's no comparison. I'd also be quite a bit more confident that Walther will be around to sell spare parts for quite some time to come - Canik, who knows?

I'm sure it is better but you're comparing a skinflint gun with a Walther. [laugh] In this skinflint class nobody cares about that stuff. If it makes it past the infant mortality window that's all that really matters; most of the intended demographic that are buying these will never shoot them enough to break them the 2nd time. This is a "truck gun" "tackle box gun" "house spare gun" or even a carry gun for some guy who can't afford anything better. Long term parts availability is pretty much a moot
issue.

Frog lube was great too.

Yeah, but frog lube is just overhyped crap. This is an inexpensive handgun, that, from most accounts, seems to usually surpass its price
tag. That's not a terrible thing.

-Mike

Yes, the newer ones I was told have it gone. I wouldn't have bought it if it had that crap on it

Might even grab that New offering by Canik after shot show, The ELITE model. But I talked to Century Arms (Jokers IMOP) and they said they aren't making 10 rounders for it yet, I'm sure they will but I'm betting it will be 4-6 months for that

Elite-->View attachment 184578

I would be very happy to see the TP9SF Elite get a 10 round variant and make its way to MA. I love the TP9SF, but I hate buying neutered full size guns with half of their intended capacity. Fine for a range gun, but I like mine to be carried when necessary and I'm too used to my Walther PPS.

I would be very happy to see the TP9SF Elite get a 10 round variant and make its way to MA. I love the TP9SF, but I hate buying neutered full size guns with half of their intended capacity. Fine for a range gun, but I like mine to be carried when necessary and I'm too used to my Walther PPS.

Does the striker on TP9SF stick out of the slide cover plate when the trigger is pulled, like on the PPS? I looked at some photos online, and it looked to me like it's similar. If so, that's a nice feature.

true, bugs me with any full size... Elite is on my list based on the performance of the FS

Does the striker on TP9SF stick out of the slide cover plate when the trigger is pulled, like on the PPS? I looked at some photos online, and it looked to me like it's similar. If so, that's a nice feature.

no it's doesn't stick out while trigger being pulled. i agree with you this was a cool feature of the PPS.

no it's doesn't stick out while trigger being pulled. i agree with you this was a cool feature of the PPS.

From photos I've seen, it looks like there's a hole in the slide cover plate. Is the striker visible? If so, I wonder why they did not give users the ability to "thumb" the striker for safer holstering of a loaded pistol.

Maybe their trigger mechanism doesn't work the same way a PPS and Glocks do?

when the gun is cocked, there is a pin that sticks out the back, a little
kind of like a loaded round indicator, but has nothing to do w/ the loaded round

From photos I've seen, it looks like there's a hole in the slide cover plate. Is the striker visible? If so, I wonder why they did not give users the ability to "thumb" the striker for safer holstering of a loaded pistol.

Maybe their trigger mechanism doesn't work the same way a PPS and Glocks do?

Your question is the answer.

Because in the TP9SF the striker is already fully cocked. During trigger pull the sear just releases striker. There is no furher cocking. The striker cannot come back any further.

in contrast a PPS is partially cocked like a glock, so trigger travel causes striker to move reaerward.

Your question is the answer.

Because in the TP9SF the striker is already fully cocked. During trigger pull the sear just releases striker. There is no furher cocking. The striker cannot come back any further.

in contrast a PPS is partially cocked like a glock, so trigger travel causes striker to move reaerward.

That's what I was getting at. Thanks for the confirmation!

bumping this thread.

recently picked up the TP9SF. $338 shipped + $25 transfer fee. for the price cannot find better striker pistol. trigger is about as nice as one could ask. beats VP9. on par with PPQ, slightly more grit but darn close. for me it's a little too light for defensive purposes but this is personal preference, not a knock on the TP9SF. my wife shoots it incredibly well. At 10 yards 20 shots all nearly touching. gun is inherently accurate AND easy to shoot. the grip feels perfect. gun cycles very smooth. the recoil spring is on the stiff side so it does seem to prefer warmer NATO type 9mm loads. with weaker 115gr loads my wife was having some undercycling issues but this is purely a function of weak ammo and looser grip. either warmer ammo or my gorilla grip fixes any issues.

the G17 is my favorite full size striker pistol but I think this TP9SF can hang right with it. the TP9SA looked nice to me but I wasn't willing to have the decocker on an SA. if anyone is pondering the TP9SF you will almost certainly be pleased. i have trouble justifying a VP9 or M&P when the canik is available for several hundred less. it does not feel or shoot like a budget gun.

I picked up the desert tan SF with cripple mags the other week for 319 shipped + 25 transfer. I'm impressed, especially for the money.
No malfunctions in first 100 rounds mixed factory and reloads. Fit and finish on par with pistols that are twice the cost in my mind, and was very accurate out of the box, 1st mag was about a 2" group right at poa at 7yds. Nice trigger.
After test firing gave it a quick clean, put it back in the box, wrapped it up with a bow, and put it under the tree...Thanks Santa! I like the color a lot.

Anyone care to share what shop they are buying the SF from? The cheapest I am seeing locally in Mass is $395.

PM me if you don't want to share in public.
GO GREEN i'll tell ya.

just kidding, they are MASS compliant so go on Armslist or Gunbroker and get them for 300-340 ish

Last edited:
I picked up the desert tan SF with cripple mags the other week for 319 shipped + 25 transfer. I'm impressed, especially for the money.
No malfunctions in first 100 rounds mixed factory and reloads. Fit and finish on par with pistols that are twice the cost in my mind, and was very accurate out of the box, 1st mag was about a 2" group right at poa at 7yds. Nice trigger.
After test firing gave it a quick clean, put it back in the box, wrapped it up with a bow, and put it under the tree...Thanks Santa! I like the color a lot.

Holliston Firearms has several and they were running a special on them. Not sure if they still are or not, but worth checking out.

I got got the gun a few months ago for a range toy and as my first full size pistol (had a shield9 and g23). I was seriously disappointed at first with it. It ran perfectly but I consistently shot low and right with the pistol. I let others shoot it and they had no problems. Immediately when I bought it I put the larger grip on it, so I switched the grips to the smaller one and tried again and it shoots wonderfully now. When I bring people shooting I've had multiple people say they prefer it to my Sigp226 (that I bought when the Cannik wasn't working out before I changed the grips). It has run flawless with I'm guessing 500 or so rounds through it now. It still hits a bit low, right behind the sight post instead of right on top of it like all of my other pistols. Now I love my 226, but I'm not going to get rid of the cannik any time soon. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it if it wasn't so big. All the the worry about the decocker is way over emphasized. You need a hard, specific push to operate it,it would have to be a super strange set of circumstances for that to get struck unintentionally. It would be like pulling a trigger unintentionally. I would prefer it without it ala the SF, but it's not a deal breaker.

heard that preban baretta mags may fit/function in the canik
can anyone confirm this?
garyz

they have to be the very elusive mac-gar 18round + and you have to grind the catch hole to line up with the canik's release.

I use mine for firearms safety classes. Everyone loves it! Got over 1k through it with out a problem. Im thinking about cleaning it soon.

All the the worry about the decocker is way over emphasized. You need a hard, specific push to operate it,it would have to be a super strange set of circumstances for that to get struck unintentionally. It would be like pulling a trigger unintentionally. I would prefer it without it ala the SF, but it's not a deal breaker.

I agree the odds are long but having the button there at all is still dumb. Vendors need to be punished for trying to toddlerize a firearm with unnecessary safety features that, in the long term, actually make people less safe because such things get used as a crutch instead of proprer firearm handling/safety habits that apply to most guns. Even having that model exist actually punishes their own buyers, because all other things beingequal the toddler version of the gun will have a worse resale value/saleability aspect of it if you ever had to roll the gun... then again these guns are so cheap I can't really imagine selling one....

-Mike

I agree the odds are long but having the button there at all is still dumb. Vendors need to be punished for trying to toddlerize a firearm with unnecessary safety features that, in the long term, actually make people less safe because such things get used as a crutch instead of proprer firearm handling/safety habits that apply to most guns. Even having that model exist actually punishes their own buyers, because all other things beingequal the toddler version of the gun will have a worse resale value/saleability aspect of it if you ever had to roll the gun... then again these guns are so cheap I can't really imagine selling one....-Mike

my understanding is that the TP9SA arose because Canik didn't want to machine new uppers. they just make some tweeks to the lower to produce the SA trigger model. i agree with you having a decocker is just dumb and although likelihood of it interfering is very low, it was still enough to keep me away from the canik. mostly matter of principle. it just bugged me. word is canik/century knew they could sell the gun more once they fixed the upper, and they were right. the gun is selling very well for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone care to share what shop they are buying the SF from? The cheapest I am seeing locally in Mass is $395.

PM me if you don't want to share in public.

FYI the LGS's aren't able to get the TP9's for nearly as cheap as the online vendors, so they consequently have to sell a little higher. the price difference ultimately would be in the $40-$75 range. but there are up-sides to purchasing locally:
-can examine exact model will be getting
-no wait time
-supporting local business

the top reason is why i would never puchase a S&W revolver online. their QC is so poor nowadays who the hell knows what's getting shipped your way. not worth it. and yes one could refuse the transfer at local FFL, but i don't want to drag my local FFL into that shit.

I picked up the TP9-SF today at Shooting Supply in Westport. Range kit with all the goodies and 2 mags. $299. Looking forward to trip to range tomorrow. I'll update once I put a few hundred rounds down range!

Back
Top Bottom