Canik TP9SF Anyone got one?

Good to know that Beretta 92 mags can run in canik. I have a few for my 92. Did you try the Canik mags in Beretta?

Had a range day today with my Canik testing out pre-ban Beretta 92 mags in it. Worked out very well and ran a couple hundred rounds without issue.

Did you have to modify them per the below quote? Pics? I'm not familiar with 92 mags, but I picked up a TP9SF a couple weeks ago. How elusive are the mags in question? I suppose I should just go google...

they have to be the very elusive mac-gar 18round + and you have to grind the catch hole to line up with the canik's release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up an SA. The trigger is really excellent. I haven't shot it yet, but I am having trouble with the mag release. The cotter pin like spring clip in the mag release seems wonky and binds up making it really hard to release the mag. Sometimes it works fine, then it binds up like something is out of position in the mag release and moving around. mag insertions when it is having issues are tough, you can tell the release is binding up and dragging hard on the mag. It is probably something out of alignment, anybody know how to remove the mag release? It isn't really obvious, I tried squeezing and pulling, and pushing it down but can't get it out, maybe a good pull with pliers, don't want to do it without finding out the right way. I am thinking if I take it out and reinstall it the issue would go away.

Several weeks ago I purchased the SF model, the one without the decocker. But decided to get rid of it because it was too ammo sensitive. FTF, FTE, failure to go into battery. You name it and I experienced it with this POS. Traded it back to the dealer and bought a H&K VP9. The Canik would have been a great pistol, if it worked.

I just bought mine, partly based on the test report that it would eat anything from the cheapest, dirtiest junk bulk ammo to standard commercial to +P ammo - all with out a hiccup
That, and the really nice trigger out-of-the-box.
On the NICS delay picking it up Tuesday

I'm sure it is better but you're comparing a skinflint gun with a Walther. [laugh] In this skinflint class nobody cares about that stuff. If it makes it past the infant mortality window that's all that really matters; most of the intended demographic that are buying these will never shoot them enough to break them the 2nd time. This is a "truck gun" "tackle box gun" "house spare gun" or even a carry gun for some guy who can't afford anything better. Long term parts availability is pretty much a moot
issue.

Yeah, but frog lube is just overhyped crap. This is an inexpensive handgun, that, from most accounts, seems to usually surpass its price
tag. That's not a terrible thing.

-Mike

Actually, this is what I assumed too, before I handled and disassembled one. Excellent machining, great fits

This is a quality pistol, at truck gun prices. I am pleasantly surprised. The trigger is actually better than my daughter's Walther
All I can say is
Try one, you'll buy one

From the feedback on the Canik users group, the SF is, so far, the much more reliable of the two. Elite users are reporting the usual semi auto problems with feeding and extraction in a % of guns. The SF runs no matter how you try to cause a malfunction. Only reduced power, reduced recoil loads have had any problems at all

Actually, this is what I assumed too, before I handled and disassembled one. Excellent machining, great fits

This is a quality pistol, at truck gun prices. I am pleasantly surprised. The trigger is actually better than my daughter's Walther
All I can say is
Try one, you'll buy one

I don't dispute that, I think what I was getting at is, the lemon rate is probably a lot higher than walther is... but at that price point, it's worth the risk- because if you get a good one, it'll probably be great. Down the road I'll probably buy one for the hell of it, but I already have two 9mms that I bought for the hell of it- a pair of P320s, LOL.

-Mike

Pete'sGun Shop
Adams,MA

Woohooo - would have posted an update sooner, but have been too busy shooting.
Picked my SA up yesterday. I am a sworn revolver carrier, so I've been trying to prove to myself that this pistol is reliable enough to depend on.
Two days later I have run 450 rounds of every type of cheap dirty ammo and 200 rounds of premium ammo through it, and it ran flawlessly. I tried limp writing, two finger hold, ridiculously rapid fire . . . darn near everything but soaking the gun in mud - and could not induce a malfunction

I don't dispute that, I think what I was getting at is, the lemon rate is probably a lot higher than walther is... but at that price point, it's worth the risk- because if you get a good one, it'll probably be great. Down the road I'll probably buy one for the hell of it, but I already have two 9mms that I bought for the hell of it- a pair of P320s, LOL.

-Mike
Yeah, I know what you're saying. If I could afford SPI 2011's I'd probably have a family of them, 10mm on down

I was just pointing out the quality and value. This pistol will probably be bought out by one of the big groups, like the ex-Croatian Springfield XD
I also just realized that this is the first time I have nearly disagreed with you since 2008. I usually just wait for you to answer a post better than I would

I have the TP9SF Elite. Got it on a whim a few weeks ago, just got back in country so shot it for the first time today.

Shooting 115 grain federal FMJ it had a weak and erratic ejection. Like all over the place. Back into my face, forward, straight up and bouncing off the slide and my hands, some normal to the right, weak to the right. Everything. Despite the ejection issues it functioned 100%. It shot great and thr fiber optic front and all black rear sight gave a great and quick acquiring sight picture.

I then shot 50 rounds of 124 grain Hornady HST hollow points. Not a single ejection issue. All ejected forcefully to the right as it should.

On the 27th round I did have a failure to go into battery. Tapping the back of the slide failed. Racking the slide resulted in the same failure to battery. I stripped the magazine, reinserted, and dropped the slide and it worked normally. I also shot 50 rounds of the same ammo through 3 different guns without issue. So ammo issue, firearm issue, or combination? Not sure. The rounds looked okay after the issue and when reloaded function without issue.

Just bought one. Will keep this thread updated on my initial impressions. So far I think its one of the best MA triggers I have felt. Won't be able to get some rounds through it until sometime next week.

My contact got one in a few weeks ago and I got the call but passed because of the issues people are having with them. Figured the CZ P10c will be a hit so ordered that instead

Forgot to mention, but the trigger on the Elite is fantastic. Directly compared to my Sar B6P in single action at 4.5 lbs, and my M&P 9c at 5.5 lbs, the TP9SF Elite at 4.5 lbs felt much smoother with a significantly better reset.

The slide seems, well, substantial, but didn't seem to recoil any worse than the B6P (CZ-75 clone, so internal rails) whose slide is significantly smaller.

Not thrilled about the weak ejection with cheap target ammo but overall I was impressed. For the price, quite so.

Forgot to mention, but the trigger on the Elite is fantastic. Directly compared to my Sar B6P in single action at 4.5 lbs, and my M&P 9c at 5.5 lbs, the TP9SF Elite at 4.5 lbs felt much smoother with a significantly better reset.

The slide seems, well, substantial, but didn't seem to recoil any worse than the B6P (CZ-75 clone, so internal rails) whose slide is significantly smaller.

Not thrilled about the weak ejection with cheap target ammo but overall I was impressed. For the price, quite so.

I found the same thing but I was blaming my reloads. Might have to bump them up a grain or 2 but I was getting such good accuracy i wasn't sure.

Put 50 rounds of 124 grain federal AE FMJ through the Elite today. Ejection was much better. Still not as forceful as most of my other pistols but wasn't erratic or hitting me in he hands or face. Even with the sun in my eyes the fiber optic front sight made shooting the notch on some steel easy and effective. I'm definitely liking this pistol.

Put another 200 or so rounds through my SF today. I have 800+ total through it without a single hiccup. It's the only pistol I've brought on my last 3 range trips
I have yet to clean it.
I've only used 115 and 124 gr FMJ ammo and it all ejects 3:30-4:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update-
Took Canik to range again today. Put another 200 rounds through it. Not a single issue. Total of 300 down range now. Various brands of ammo. When I tell other enthusiasts that I only paid $299 for the range kit, they can't believe it. But yes, only $299!!

Back
Top Bottom