• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Careful out there with caniks

Don’t spill it into honey,
I never owned anything made in Turkey and really don’t know anything about it and never thought of it in any way - like a quality product.
Do you own shotguns?

Because there's a 85% you own a Turkish banger most shottys are Turkish imports

The fit and finish on them are great

And i had one back when i lived in nh

Had 7k rounds through it... ran like a sewing machine

The turks make really good guns

Less expensive
It's not if you have anything more than a microscopic worldview of the gun and its system. If you look beyond that the costs aren't much different from its peers. Especially on back end resale. Canik effectively is still an off brand. That means that reduced frontal cost will bite hard if you ever had to sell it or trade it in. Caniks are good guns but if i owned them i wouldn't bother selling them because of the beating you'd take on the back end. (This isn't the worst thing but it's a reality you have to accept when going in that direction. )

Do you own shotguns?

Because there's a 85% you own a Turkish banger most shottys are Turkish imports

The fit and finish on them are great

And i had one back when i lived in nh

Had 7k rounds through it... ran like a sewing machine

The turks make really good guns
I wouldn't say most..... its more like bird/sporting guns than anything else. Once you get out of that zone the numbers drop. I have a CZ1012, that's a turkatron gun too, but at least its serviced by CZ if it breaks. A lot of turkey trans the Importer will just play games so that the manufacturer isn't liable for whatever junk is out there turkatrons can vary from being excellent like a Huglu or absolute garbage depending on the spec of the Importer etc.

FWIW that cz i beat the piss out of it and probably put several thousand shells through the thing and only give it minimum maintenance the only thing that ever broke on it was this little plastic bushing ferrule thing that is meaningless under the comb. Great shotgun for 600ish bucks.

It's not if you have anything more than a microscopic worldview of the gun and its system. If you look beyond that the costs aren't much different from its peers. Especially on back end resale. Canik effectively is still an off brand. That means that reduced frontal cost will bite hard if you ever had to sell it or trade it in. Caniks are good guns but if i owned them i wouldn't bother selling them because of the beating you'd take on the back end. (This isn't the worst thing but it's a reality you have to accept when going in that direction. )

I wouldn't say most..... its more like bird/sporting guns than anything else. Once you get out of that zone the numbers drop. I have a CZ1012, that's a turkatron gun too, but at least its serviced by CZ if it breaks. A lot of turkey trans the Importer will just play games so that the manufacturer isn't liable for whatever junk is out there turkatrons can vary from being excellent like a Huglu or absolute garbage depending on the spec of the Importer etc.

FWIW that cz i beat the piss out of it and probably put several thousand shells through the thing and only give it minimum maintenance the only thing that ever broke on it was this little plastic bushing ferrule thing that is meaningless under the comb. Great shotgun for 600ish bucks.
Charles daly

Tristar

Yildiz

Cz

Mossberg has some

Stoeger has some imports from turkey

Winchester has a few

Rock island

Its a lot

They are good shottys tho i have a yildiz which is a fun shooter

The same could be said for every other striker gun.

It's another striker gun to use, and for some people a Glock doesn't fit their hands, a canik is better for the easy button types.
Yeah, I’ve tried Glocks but they just don’t fit my hand like a CZ75, CZ83 or even my 1911. I have short fingers and when I grip a Glock, it‘s like gripping a 2x3.

Yeah, I’ve tried Glocks but they just don’t fit my hand like a CZ75, CZ83 or even my 1911. I have short fingers and when I grip a Glock, it‘s like gripping a 2x3.
Yes exactly... there are so many different ergonomics going on that I'm glad they make so many different kinds of handguns so that different people can shoot what they need to shoot. I don't have a ton of compatibility problems although the CZ 97 is one of them... the magazine well is too large front to back, to allow me to easily hit the mag release without flipping the gun and basically for me that gun is an ergonomic nightmare although it looks like a finely crafted handgun.

The 509 is great if you never shot another gun. The only trigger worse imo is the apx carry

The APX in addition to being fugly had a "weird hitch in the giddyup" of the trigger that was foul but I think the 509 is worse. Scratchy as f***, and you can tell just by dry firing the guns that its not just "going to smooth out on its own over time" its really THAT f***ing scratchy. makes Glock and even M&P factory triggers seem f***ing delightful comparatively speaking. Honestly even the much maligned Smith SD9 VE would be a better buy than a 509, at least those triggers can be cleaned up.

The APX in addition to being fugly had a "weird hitch in the giddyup" of the trigger that was foul but I think the 509 is worse. Scratchy as f***, and you can tell just by dry firing the guns that its not just "going to smooth out on its own over time" its really THAT f***ing scratchy. makes Glock and even M&P factory triggers seem f***ing delightful comparatively speaking. Honestly even the much maligned Smith SD9 VE would be a better buy than a 509, at least those triggers can be cleaned up.
And the original version had the striker block lift out of the frame and you could disable the gun by pushing it down

Less expensive

Sure? You can buy a new Canik for a lot less than a new Glock, even in a free state. The delta in used vs new for Caniks and Glocks is big in percentage, but not so much in actual dollars. e.g.: New Glock price minus used Glock price is not really that different from new Canik minus used Canik.

or put another way: you can lose $300 selling a glock, or $300 selling a Canik, but the Canik is cheaper to start out, so there's a lower overall cost (if opportunity cost has a value)

Sure? You can buy a new Canik for a lot less than a new Glock, even in a free state. The delta in used vs new for Caniks and Glocks is big in percentage, but not so much in actual dollars. e.g.: New Glock price minus used Glock price is not really that different from new Canik minus used Canik.

or put another way: you can lose $300 selling a glock, or $300 selling a Canik, but the Canik is cheaper to start out, so there's a lower overall cost (if opportunity cost has a value)
Meh, worrying about resale value is pointless. Buy what shoots good and is reliable or buy special edition guns and keep them as safe queens so one day you can make a profit.

Not really accurate

I bought a canik sfx rival for the same price drop a new glock goes down in price

The older models sure

But that is common for almost any other maker except glock when a new version comes out

My wife spends an ungodly amount of $$$ on dietary supplements so I have no problem spending a few (or a lot) of bucks on stuff, whether it's firearms, ammo, accessories, guitars, basses, etc. So many of my guitars and basses look alike to the untrained eye (my wife's) that she has no clue what is new or old...same with my guns. I don't hide my purchases from her per se' and I usually leave them in plain sight most of the time. If she notices, she doesn't say anything though once I bought a bass guitar that was different enough she did notice..."Is that a new bass?", she asked. Yep...what do you think? She just said, have fun. :)

We've been married 43 years today. If we haven't sorted all that stuff out by now, I guess we never will [kiss].

43 years!

My wife spends an ungodly amount of $$$ on dietary supplements so I have no problem spending a few (or a lot) of bucks on stuff, whether it's firearms, ammo, accessories, guitars, basses, etc. So many of my guitars and basses look alike to the untrained eye (my wife's) that she has no clue what is new or old...same with my guns. I don't hide my purchases from her per se' and I usually leave them in plain sight most of the time. If she notices, she doesn't say anything though once I bought a bass guitar that was different enough she did notice..."Is that a new bass?", she asked. Yep...what do you think? She just said, have fun. :)

We've been married 43 years today. If we haven't sorted all that stuff out by now, I guess we never will [kiss].

It is never too late to join MGTOW. Only your doll choice will be questioned.

The canik will take you 3 times as long to move (you did mention opportunity cost, lol) and you will lose more money. There is no way around this, it's the way the market is. Off brands don't have that kind of flex outside of new retail.

So if you don't care about the huge loss of stored value, then NBD. But IMHO when the totality of circumstances is taken into account, as I've mentioned before, this quibbling over a couple hundred bucks on a striker gun is just shitty math that doesn't pan out in the long run. We're talking about a price difference thats less than a case of 9mm.. [rofl]

"saving money" by buying a canik is a fools errand. Maybe you save money if you buy like, 10 of them or something. Sure. [rofl]

The canik will take you 3 times as long to move (you did mention opportunity cost, lol) and you will lose more money. There is no way around this, it's the way the market is. Off brands don't have that kind of flex outside of new retail.

So if you don't care about the huge loss of stored value, then NBD. But IMHO when the totality of circumstances is taken into account, as I've mentioned before, this quibbling over a couple hundred bucks on a striker gun is just shitty math that doesn't pan out in the long run. We're talking about a price difference thats less than a case of 9mm.. [rofl]

"saving money" by buying a canik is a fools errand. Maybe you save money if you buy like, 10 of them or something. Sure. [rofl]
This.....I traded mine. Got what I bought it for after 3K rounds because of the price I bought it before they became popular. If I put it here I would have had to dump it for 150 to the cheap ass tire kickers on this fxcking site. I got double that in trade.

When I buy the SFX down south its because its a cheap reliable gun, thats got a better trigger than a glock for target shooting, has way more features and stuff for the price, and carries 20 on board. Won't be selling it or buying it for resale value or worried about it.

The amount of Turkey made stuff that's come online in the gun world over the last 10 years is amazing. They are killing it honestly for quality vs. price for the average working guy.

Tisas 1911's great quality for price and run great
Impala Plus shotguns are fantastic guns at a cheap price point.
All sorts of 9mm clones that are great guns as well.
Entry level O/U's and S/S run good and basic for lower cost.

Speaking from experience as I've had or have all of them.

They aren't going to be the quality of Browning or Beretta or brand name guns or ever be worth shit for resale....but for buying and running at a price point its tough to argue the value.

Last edited:
I agree with this.

Buy a Canik because it fits your hand better, or has a better trigger or better sights ... not because it is like $100 cheaper.

That way of thinking never works out, you will regret the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom