CEO of Southcoast Hospitals Busted for Assault and Gun Charges

Officers confiscated Hovan’s license to carry during his arrest and later returned to his home to take possession of his firearms, which numbered more than 40, according to police reports. Officers were accompanied by a firearms expert from J&S Guns.

Anyone know if these guys are OK, or is he going to get f*cked for $5/day per gun, etc ??
I read that the shop in question sold him items in the past. So he is probably a regular customer
They might be helping him out

... and they did.... and then they did. For all we know, this was a pretty minor thing in the bigger scheme of things. A little too much booze and than he wanted to watch his favorite TV show. Well, who among us can say they haven't been there? [laugh] <JK>

But the minor daughter dialed 911. Game over for Mister Bigshot Hypocrite. 👎

The wife and daughter are upset he was arrested, they won’t cooperate and the charges will be dropped. He has the issue of the mags to deal with but the state won’t be able to pursue a case without a cooperative witness or victim

There are several levels of "proof" that can fail, depending on how the courts define "proof" -
  • LEO Only - can the prosecution prove the manufacturer never used this nomenclature prior to the ban?
  • New Features - can it be inferred that an ambi notched Glock mag did not exist years before Glock sole guns with reversible or ambi mag releases?
  • Street lore - like "There are no pre-ban Glock mags with caliber marking high up on the top rear of the tube"
  • Subtle design differences that were part of an evolutionary process (Glock follower design, for example)
  • Is the presence of a post-ban follower in a Glock mag proof it is post ban, or only proof that mag has a post-ban part?
  • What about mag with a post-ban tube and parts that are not provably post-ban. Is this proof of pre-ban or proof the mag is either post ban or re-ban refurbished (there is no law or regulation establishing that the tube is the mag like there is at the federal level for "frame is the gun")
  • And what of a mag of Theseus? At what point of parts replacement did it lose its pre ban status?
  • And what of a stash of mag tubes? Are they mags if not yet assembled? Does it depend if the parts to complete assembly are also possessed?
  • Does a mag cease to be pre-ban once disassembled if you are missing a part needed to make it complete?
And the there is the undefined requirement regarding mens rea or scienture - is it sufficient for conviction to possess such a ban, or is knowledge part of the retirement? I'm not talking about "ignorance of the law" but stuff like "not knowing that XYZ corp changed steel alloys in 2002 and the prosecution proved you have the new alloy mag by metallurgical analysis".

Carbon dating?
Not certain about accuracy

The wife and daughter are upset he was arrested, they won’t cooperate and the charges will be dropped. He has the issue of the mags to deal with but the state won’t be able to pursue a case without a cooperative witness or victim
Yeah, the wife and daughter don't want to see their luxurious multi-millionaire lifestyle go away over a TV show disagreement. But let me ask this: Can the cops charge him with domestic violence anyway based on their own observations and evidence even if the wife refuses to press charges?

Yeah, the wife and daughter don't want to see their luxurious multi-millionaire lifestyle go away over a TV show disagreement. But let me ask this: Can the cops charge him with domestic violence anyway based on their own observations and evidence even if the wife refuses to press charges?
The police can still move forward with charges, but without cooperative witnesses it’s much harder. Spouses also cannot be compelled to testify against each other, know as spousal privilege

In DV cases, it is the state pressing charges and some times they want to continue. But the reality is the case will be dismissed. They need direct evidence not statements from people who saw what happened. If it went to trial, I’d bet the wife would say the cops misunderstood what she said and there was no battery. No battery is ok but on scale of injuries, this was on the less severe side. If it were a very serious battery, with a weapon, the person had a long rap sheet, etc they’d be much more likely to push the case even without cooperation

The wife would get alimony etc she’d be fine financially. She probably feels it was a fight with minor incidental contact where they needed space, not an arrest.

My good wife also wants to know...

1) What was the TV show that they were in such disagreement about, and,
2) Doesn't this multi-millionaire family own more than one TV set??? [thinking]
Yahbut they probably only have one Media Room.
01a774_41a30b1274f144d6bf56a94e618190d6~mv2.png

She's not going to get nearly the alimony she would have gotten once he loses that cushy job... or worse, goes to prison because of the post-bans. :oops:

Go to prison for those injuries? Not a chance in heck. He has an LTC so obviously not a felon, has a good job, plenty of character witnesses, etc. it’s damn hard to get jail or prison time in MA without a murder, rape, death or very serious injury. Even if it went to trial and he were found guilty, he’d get a few years probation and anger management classes at the most. Go to district court and observe, as lenient as you think the courts are, they’ve more so.

Good update article including links to his entire inventory...

Ammo stash not nearly as impressive as first reported. [slap]

Firearms queens????? Did he really say that or did it get changed from safe queens?

Wow, just wow...... Didn't take the PD long to get them to a warehouse (keep that disposition authorization letter pre-written and in your safe). Now bonded warehouses not only steal the guns, but help with charges to make sure the guns do not get redeemed before storage fees exceed value.

The weapons and ammunition that were not considered evidence of crimes were confiscated, inventoried and stored by J & S Guns and Ammo, a bonded firearms warehouse facility run by John Lienard.

J & S also provided the final count of ammunition recovered but apologized after initially estimating the amount of ammunition to be between 75,000 and 80,000 rounds, according to Valente.

Lienard’s expertise was also employed by Rochester Police to confirm which of Hovan’s magazines were illegal to own.

Last edited:
Good update article including links to his entire inventory...

Ammo stash not nearly as impressive as first reported. [slap]
the shop owner used his "expertise" to determine which mags were illegal?
what kind of operation is j&s?

Lienard’s expertise was also employed by Rochester Police to confirm which of Hovan’s magazines were illegal to own.

J & S also provided the final count of ammunition recovered but apologized after initially estimating the amount of ammunition to be between 75,000 and 80,000 rounds, according to Valente.

So not only did this guy rat him out on the mags ,he 'misrepresented' the amount of ammo by 400%

So not only did this guy rat him out on the mags ,he 'misrepresented' the amount of ammo by 400%
I wonder if the warehouseman will be offering his services to the prosecution as an expert on post-ban magazine identification.

Weird. The guy had more .40 rounds over everything else

What is a "Sig Gas Launcher (mortar)"?

My good wife also wants to know...

1) What was the TV show that they were in such disagreement about, and,
2) Doesn't this multi-millionaire family own more than one TV set??? [thinking]
Once you get to a point not having a TV is a bragging point and if you have one they are normally hidden

Well, the odd part is... didn't I read that Hovan had bought most or at least some of his guns from J&S? [thinking]

So, are they are just going back to the shop or Bonded Warehouse from whence they came? 🤪 Did Hovan get to choose them?

I don't see J&S openly advertising Bonded Warehouse services... so I'll withhold judgement until we know more.
Well they helped the police enforce bullshit gun laws. Do you think they wouldn’t turn on the average gun owner if shit went down? I think that is just as reprehensible as being a bonded warehouse. It doesn’t sit well with me.

TV Shows that were on that night (Nov 6th) about the time of the incident:

10 PM:
48 Hours (CBS)
Arctic Vets (Nat Geo Wild)
The Dead Files (Travel Channel)
Family or Fiance (OWN)
G.O.A.T. (Disney XD, Series Premiere)
Montana Freemen Militia: Deadly Standoff (Reelz, One-Hour Special)
A Mrs. Miracle Christmas (Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, Original Movie Premiere)
NFL Icons: Steve Sabol (EPIX)
Pawn Stars (History Channel)

10:30 PM:

Eye Wonder (Disney XD, Series Premiere)
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers at Portland Trail Blazers (NBA TV)

++++++++++

I think I see where things went bad. [laugh]

Last edited:
Another update article...

Because of the volume of firearms and ammunition, police contacted J & S Guns and Ammo of Acushnet to assist in inventorying them and retrieval. J & S has a bonded warehouse facility and provides assistance to local police departments with storage.

Police suggested the firearms and ammo due to their high value be stored with J & S as long as they were legal and Hovan paid for it. Police said Hovan was cooperative.
So the Rochester police chose J&S. Hovan just agreed to it. So, I was wrong about Hovan choosing J&S. [slap]

Last edited:
the shop owner used his "expertise" to determine which mags were illegal?
what kind of operation is j&s?
I went there once on a gun shop crawl, small shop in the dudes garage/barn. They wouldn't sell me a box of 45 Colt ammo, they said it was for gun purchases only but I didn't see a 45 Colt chambered gun in the cabinet (I looked) so that kind irked me. They do a lot of videos on Faceplant, I don't know if I would call the guy and expert, but I don't know him.

Another shop doing the devils bidding?

Oh, I get what you're saying. But I thought I read that Hovan chose them. I'll try to find where I read that. [thinking]
I went there once on a gun shop crawl, small shop in the dudes garage/barn. They wouldn't sell me a box of 45 Colt ammo, they said it was for gun purchases only but I didn't see a 45 Colt chambered gun in the cabinet (I looked) so that kind irked me. They do a lot of videos on Faceplant, I don't know if I would call the guy and expert, but I don't know him.

Another shop doing the devils bidding?
Looks like another one to add to the Rat f***ing Bastard List.

Back
Top Bottom