CEO of Southcoast Hospitals Busted for Assault and Gun Charges

They may be calling every “hi-cap” illegal
I didn't think that was the case, but now I'm not so sure. 🤔

Here is the list of the 83 magazines they are calling post-bans:

Hovan Magazines.jpg

Most of these (other than the Glocks) I don't even recognize. And here I expected to see 83 Magpuls. [laugh]

Last edited:
I thought js was going to handle this as they are right down the road.

Someone started a.thread on here a few months back about there experience with JS warehouse.

If those Glock 33 rounders said “restricted” on them, why do they need the wife and daughter to testify?

I don’t want this guy to get convinced because it would set a precedent for us.

If the cops come to my house and find a marijuanna grow room - would I get in trouble if my wife does not testify against me?

Edit: If that Glock 40 22 rounder is made by Glock its also post ban. Glock came out with those after the ban. In fact after the ban ended so there were never restricted markings on those.

Good update article including links to his entire inventory...

Ammo stash not nearly as impressive as first reported. [slap]

Well, ASC Magazine Co. was started in 2011, so he's boned on those alone.

Well, ASC Magazine Co. was started in 2011, so he's boned on those alone.
There is an unanswered question - is this a per-se offense, or is it necessary for the person possessing the magazines to know they are post-ban? I'm not referring to an "ignorance of the law" defense but rather an "ignorance of the fact that I was committing a crime".

Consider, for example, someone who buys a used car it is found to have drugs hidden inside the door panels, but there is absolutely no evidence suggesting the buyer knew the drugs were there. The law is clear - possession of certain drugs is a crime. Is the cay buyer in this case hosed? If not, how does that differ from owning a mag that you bought convinced it was pre-ban?

The answer for this is neither simple to arrive at or obvious. Further complicated is that if the court were to rule "knowledge" was required, to what extent would the reasonable person be expected to research the providence? There is a judge difference between a mag with a clear date stamp and a beat up old 30 round AR mag with no labelling an unclear history.

The short and accurate answer is "it's complicated".

So one of his ARs was chambered in .458, and he owned 130 rounds of 458 ammo. I wonder if he had any ten rounders for that? They look just like 30rd 5.56 mags.

I’m always shocked at these guys who store illegal items right next to registered guns. If the cops come it’s just too easy for them to charge you.

Attachments

• 20B207AD-E6FF-4067-A300-849E7E295915.jpeg
    20B207AD-E6FF-4067-A300-849E7E295915.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 17
So one of his ARs was chambered in .458, and he owned 130 rounds of 458 ammo. I wonder if he had any ten rounders for that? They look just like 30rd 5.56 mags.

I’m always shocked at these guys who store illegal items right next to registered guns. If the cops come it’s just too easy for them to charge you.
Where do you store your illegal items?

Granted, I haven’t thought much about it because I have one safe and one house and nothing illegal, but in this case the rich guy doesn’t have a beach house in Rhode Island to keep the assaulty bits? Or a safe deposit box in Florida? Or a cop friend who could legally possess them? There’s options if you have the resources.

Even if the wife wanted to press charges which few do when things cool down (assuming there was even a battery in this case), you really think these charges are going to rack of $100k in legal fees? Not even close. In a murder case which runs 3 years of court appearances etc yes but not for something that stays in district court (even if it goes to trial)
$100k at $400/hr is 6 weeks of lawyer time.

2 weeks prep
1 week paperwork/meetings
1 week in court and prepping for court appearances
1 week prepping and paying expert witnesses and filing
1 week wrap up/appeal prep

Easy.

Really though, talk about the arrogance of the guy. “Yeah, go ahead and take my guns yourselves.” Was he thinking because of his socio-political-economic status that the cops wouldn’t care about the mags? You’d think he’d have his lawyer tell the cops that he would surrender the guns as soon as possible, as prescribed in MGL.

Along with the 12 20rd SCAR 17 mags.

My "expert Internet research" suggested that the SCAR 17 takes standard STANAG mags, so we don't know if they were 1970's M16 magazines that happened to be in the same range bag as the SCAR, or if they were manufactured (and labeled) by the gun manufacturer.

But I am really perplexed by the “ZEV +5 basepads”. Are they really adding those as separate magazines?

Of course they are. Especially if they turn a 10 round magazine into a 15 round one.

My "expert Internet research" suggested that the SCAR 17 takes standard STANAG mags, so we don't know if they were 1970's M16 magazines that happened to be in the same range bag as the SCAR, or if they were manufactured (and labeled) by the gun manufacturer.

SCAR 16 yeah, but I believe the 17 uses propriety mags or FAL (since it’s 7.62, not 5.56 like the 16).

SCAR 16 yeah, but I believe the 17 uses propriety mags or FAL (since it’s 7.62, not 5.56 like the 16).
The 17 does use proprietary mags. You can get aftermarket lower receivers that allow you to use SR-25 mags. And there are some of those as prebans. But not many people convert their lowers.

$100k at $400/hr is 6 weeks of lawyer time.

2 weeks prep
1 week paperwork/meetings
1 week in court and prepping for court appearances
1 week prepping and paying expert witnesses and filing
1 week wrap up/appeal prep

Easy.

You think he’ll have a $400/hr lawyer who will work 8 hrs a day, 6 weeks for this minor case? You have a weird sense of humor.

I had a $400/hr lawyer once... It added up quickly.

Along with my other lawyer.

And my wife's lawyer.

It does add up quickly but a lawyer isn’t racking up a lot of hours for these charges. The DV will probably be dropped if the wife won’t cooperate and the mag issues will probably be plead down to some minor misdemeanor or continued without a finding and fines.

Yeah you're probably right.
My situation was very different... My wife and I battling her ex, with kids involved. One lawyer each for me and her, one for guns.

It does add up quickly but a lawyer isn’t racking up a lot of hours for these charges. The DV will probably be dropped if the wife won’t cooperate and the mag issues will probably be plead down to some minor misdemeanor or continued without a finding and fines.
It adds up fast. Concurrent billing of clerks snd paralegals, hours and hours spent editing. $400/hr is actually just some low end smuck. If he’s smart and if he’s facing weapons and battery charges he’ll spend more than that on a top end lawyer.

It adds up fast. Concurrent billing of clerks snd paralegals, hours and hours spent editing. $400/hr is actually just some low end smuck. If he’s smart and if he’s facing weapons and battery charges he’ll spend more than that on a top end lawyer.

He’ll spend $10k or less and work out a plea deal. This isn’t a murder charge, it’s a nothing issue in a state with a very soft judicial system.

You are vastly misunderstanding the seriousness of these charges, they’re very minor charges in a district court. And your guess at the number of billable hours is way off. It’s not a complicated legal issue with the need for lots of research, etc.

He’ll spend $10k or less and work out a plea deal. This isn’t a murder charge, it’s a nothing issue in a state with a very soft judicial system.

You are vastly misunderstanding the seriousness of these charges, they’re very minor charges in a district court. And your guess at the number of billable hours is way off. It’s not a complicated legal issue with the need for lots of research, etc.
He has a good shot at a CWOF with no jail time if he agrees not to get his guns back (he might be allowed to have them sold). The one thing he might be able to salvage is not becoming a federally prohibited person due to a misdafelony conviction.

Back
Top Bottom