Confirmed instances of .pdf/paper FA-10 form rejection by MA FRB

I did my first EFA10 on saturday. Everything went smooth as silk. Needed my PIN number, and buyer/seller LTC inf, and weapon info. Printed out with no problem. Had the buyer and myself sign and date, scanned into a folder on my computer, and done. Whole thing took less than 10 min.

This was all done at my house, so I can understand this sucking during a parking lot transaction!

It's nice to see that it worked for someone. I wish I had a PIN so I could use it. Next year I'll get mine finally.

To those individuals trying to open the compiled PDF in a 'window' or browser and getting a password error.

This is normal, it also will not allow the content to be viewed in by a 3rd party service like google docs, or some browsers. It's protected.
This forces the user to save a local copy, which is then accessed and printed normally via the Adobe client.

Good luck, happy transfers.

To those individuals trying to open the compiled PDF in a 'window' or browser and getting a password error.

This is normal, it also will not allow the content to be viewed in by a 3rd party service like google docs, or some browsers. It's protected.
This forces the user to save a local copy, which is then accessed and printed normally via the Adobe client.

Good luck, happy transfers.

No. That's NOT normal. That's an absurd explanation for piss poor design and development.

There was nothing broken about the paper system (except for it's unconstitutionality). Effectively forcing us to use electronic submission with no alternative raises an economic and intellectual barrier to gun ownership that should not exist (and didn't until a few months ago). Never mind all the other documented issues with the system.

I can think of a couple of people right off the top of my head that are intelligent, skilled, perfectly capable of handling firearms and have friends or family print out their emails because they don't *understand* computers. They should be barred from owning guns because some tw*t in Boston wants to build his empire?

Obviously, we will soon be left with no choice and will HAVE to use the computer filing system. That doesn't make it right.

No. That's NOT normal. That's an absurd explanation for piss poor design and development.

It has nothing to do with the product, and everything to do with over reacting. Perhaps yelling at Adobe will help.

Sheesh.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the paper system. I was letting those know who posted earlier in this thread the content they generate is normal.
When emailed to the other party they can open it fine.

Enjoy.

Adobe is in the business of selling software, not correcting developers poor design and coding skills.

No. This is not what I am trying to convey to the people who posted about receiving a specific error.
I tried posting information to help others without dragging it into a technical discussion. I'm not sure why you are derailing my comments.

Adobe software products both historic and current are buggy as hell. Always have been.

It is a known Adobe issue with clients using new versions Reader (version 10.x and beyond). Some have found a remedy by removing the file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\plug_ins\EScript.api , allowing the viewing of items tagged "secure" when they really aren't. It's in their support forums. You can also revert back to version 9.4.x or earlier, they do not have this issue.

... but hey blame whoever you like. I'm done contributing. Thanks.

No. This is not what I am trying to convey to the people who posted about receiving a specific error.
I tried posting information to help others without dragging it into a technical discussion. I'm not sure why you are derailing my comments.

Adobe software products both historic and current are buggy as hell. Always have been. . . .

OK, they are in the business of selling buggy software.

I guess if you'd like to believe that the efa-10 system actually satisfies some public need and was architected in a thoughtful and coherent way and the "few" issues are acceptable then knock yourself out.

However, I'll point out before someone else does, we're both off topic for this particular thread.

Just wanted to share my experience for those who have smart phones, myself and the other NES member just completed a trade last night and I said to do it thru our phones. IT WORKED SMOOTHLY!

Yeabut... you still made it exceptionally easy for the state to record stuff that doesn't need to be recorded, into records that are flawed (at best) and made it *much* easier for them to simply stop printing paper FA10 forms using the reasoning, "everyone likes the online form."

When the paper form goes away, only people with mobile internet connections and portable printers will be able to sell or buy a gun anywhere besides their house, a library (doesn't that sound great?) or an internet cafe.

Private gun sales should *not* be limited to those with the money and technology to do it. What if you don't have a computer? Whoops! Can't sell a gun! (except at a store, costing $40 for the privilege) Don't want to let a stranger into your house, but don't have a smartphone? Whoops! Can't sell a gun!

Even if the whole FA10 record keeping wasn't a complete disaster, filled will bad/old/inaccurate data, and even if the idea of the state recording every private sale of guns wasn't poor civic hygiene, making the only way for private sales to take place only accessible to those with means is downright offensive.

If those weren't enough reasons to never use the E-FA10, there's this:

I was VERY suspicious of that too, but that is what Jason told me. Jason admitted that he's not a "computer person" and I've never even looked at the e-FA-10 system, so I couldn't dispute him with any facts. As I told Jason, my computer is so locked down, there is no way that I'd be able to use his system w/o knowing every pop-up URL that would come up so I could enable those. NO WAY I am disabling all my security just to do one of his forms!

The guy who thinks this is a good idea, Jason, doesn't even understand computers enough to know why it's insecure and a bad idea.

I got one kicked back in the mail today with a letter saying the electronic copy of the FA-10 that I submitted(PDF) is being returned to me it also states " DCJIS/FRB has provided the Commonwealth with two convenient options for complying with the requirements of GL140 128A

1 use the online form
2 Sequently numbered, standardized FA-10 forms(available at all local police departments)

I'll stop by the PD on friday and ask for some, at least now I can show them the letter stating that the state says they should have them lol

"2 Sequently numbered, standardized FA-10 forms(available at all local police departments)"

I highlighted this and sent it back to them with a note saying I can't get one.

"2 Sequently numbered, standardized FA-10 forms(available at all local police departments)"

I highlighted this and sent it back to them with a note saying I can't get one.

Does anyone know if the PD's get these for free? FFL dealers have to pay for them. My dealer friend told me a good story about what happened back in October during the snowstorm. He said the E-FA10 system went down. So he used the standard FA-10 forms and submitted them. He got his butt chewed out and was told not to do it again. He told them that if their system was running he wouldn't have to use paper forms. They said that they would let it slide this time. This happened during a gunshow. So how many sales would he have lost had he not used paper forms.

Sent my fa10 printed form on 3/3/2012 and just got the return letter back for resubmit through the new system. I did the online system and took about 5 minutes, pretty easy to do. Question I have is if you can just meet with someone, fill out the old FA10 printed form, go back home and insert the information in the E-FA10 system online, and then send the pdf copy to the buyer. This way you have a signature copy from the buyer and a pdf version to save.

Sent my fa10 printed form on 3/3/2012 and just got the return letter back for resubmit through the new system. I did the online system and took about 5 minutes, pretty easy to do. Question I have is if you can just meet with someone, fill out the old FA10 printed form, go back home and insert the information in the E-FA10 system online, and then send the pdf copy to the buyer. This way you have a signature copy from the buyer and a pdf version to save.

Buyer or seller, I want a paper copy of a FA10 for my own records signed by both parties. You should too.

I will not be giving my pin number to anyone to fill out anything online. Neither should you.

Buyer or seller, I want a paper copy of a FA10 for my own records signed by both parties. You should too.

I will not be giving my pin number to anyone to fill out anything online. Neither should you.

I thought only the seller needed their PIN?

This is SO ridiculous. Imagine if people had to jump through these hoops to get a driver's license, or buy and sell a car?

Thats what I mean, do the printed FA10 form when you meet at mutual location so both parties have copies of signatures then the seller fills the online form and sends an extra copy of the E-FA10 form to buyer. This way both seller/buyer have a electronic copy and hard copy. The seller only uses his pin number, all he uses from the buyer is (license number, date of birth, last name)

That will work fine as long as you don't have an older license like mine. For those of us with older licenses we do not have PIN numbers to use the E-FA10 online. We have no choice but to use the paper forms.

I found the process pretty painless.

If you have a mac you may run into the password protected issue. I strongly suggest you print 2 copies before closing your browser. If you can't print where the transaction is happening, just leave your browser open and print as soon as you get home.

If you have a mac, and run into the password protected issue, do this:

Download PDFKeyPro. It gives you one free trial unlock.

Open PDFKeyPro and drag and drop the file into the "unlock" icon.

Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
I found the process pretty painless.

If you have a mac you may run into the password protected issue. I strongly suggest you print 2 copies before closing your browser. If you can't print where the transaction is happening, just leave your browser open and print as soon as you get home.

If you have a mac, and run into the password protected issue, do this:

Download PDFKeyPro. It gives you one free trial unlock.

Open PDFKeyPro and drag and drop the file into the "unlock" icon.

Worked like a charm.

Yep, another data point they can use to justify getting rid of the paper forms entirely.

Well done!

If you install Adobe Reader on your Mac it will open in that. I think the PDFs are set so that you can't edit them, but th built in PDF viewer on Mac can't interpret that properly.

I am not advocating or recommending that anybody use this thing, but if you do and have a Mac that's the story. Make sure to save the PDF.

Anyone try it under Linux?

The application form for a C&R license doesn't fill properly, so I don't want to get into a bad situation with a transfer...

If dealers are required to order their own FA-10 forms directly from the printer - Can we get an order together to have a few thousand printed as a group buy arrangement?

Back
Top Bottom