• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering buying revolver for conceal carry alternative ?

. I normally carry my shield 40sw everywhere that is legal....including at work. I am interested in getting a revolver also..... just wondering if it makes sense to do so.....not that we need it to make sense[grin] ! Just wondering who out there does carry a revolver at times and any suggestions or experience that would help. I am considering a Ruger LCR orr possibly the SP101.

I carry a s&w 442 everyday, I always have it with me. I changed up the grips to hogue 3 finger and it shoots great. I never had the trigger done from the mass. compliant. It's my EDC carry gun and it conceals well and is not very heavy.

I looked at the LCR not a big fan of plastic revolver, Also looked at the sp 101 and the weight of it turned me off.

Just me feedback, good luck

Yes, It can be done. I am a revolver guy - I just shoot better with them. Im a bit unconventional - 4" 686, the six shot model in a FightnGear IWB (gotta get around to posting that review)

Serious question here, why carry a revolver when semi's have so much more capacity?

Reliability and conceal ability. I carried a 637 as a pocket gun for years, as well as a backup. I've carried an LC9 as well, the revolver's grip made it easier to draw from the pocket than the semi. Also a revolver can be fired from the pocket without malfunction if need be.

I wont answer for anyone but myself, but I go back and forth. I like revolvers, its a style thing, I guess - that and I like the balance, how they point and with a .38/357 or .44/44mag, you get 2 guns in one, more power options to suit whatever your needs are for that moment.

that said, I also like my 4506 and the third gen smith and Wesson 9mms (actually, I think all my guns are going SW) - but even that isn't necessarily "capacity" with 8+1 rounds. I've owned Glocks, Sigs, a Jericho, a 1911 and a few others, but I'm not an operator, I didn't graduate from the NutNFancy school of capacity is everything. I think having a gun, knowing how to use it is the best possible defense and a game changer regardless of capacity.

Serious question here, why carry a revolver when semi's have so much more capacity?

I'd love to find a Ruger LCR in .357 magnum; should have bought one at Pullman last winter when I had the chance. Haven't seen one since.

Because I study the stats......most self defense shooting is 2 rounds so 5 shots of 357 is plenty......because a 357 magnum has more spank.....because a revolver is foolproof......because if I get a failure to fire I just pull the trigger again but with a semi you have to clear it..because it is cool to know an assailant can see my gun is loaded from across the fu*** room....I could go on

Last edited:
I have an older S&W 337, Air Weight Ti. LOVE IT. Weighs next to nothing. I paid an extra $100 over the standard Air Weight, feels like a toy. Recoil sucks as a result.

I know I might get bashed, but part of me wishes police officers were issued .357 revolvers only. I think it would make them a might more disciplined with respect to shot placement and perhaps fewer "innocent bystanders" will have to receive compensation checks when the NYPD takes down an unarmed flasher in Times Square.

I have the Shield 40s+w as well and I have the LCR in 357. I think you'd like the LCR as a backup/alternative. The trigger on the LCR smooths out very nicely after some range time and dry firing. It conceals pretty well in a pocket and the weight isn't too bad with the polymer frame. You may want to be selective with the rounds you pick if you go the 357 route. Heavy loads can be a bitch to shoot.

Recently began carrying a s&w 629 3" in a sideguard iwb. A little heavy (not too bad as my other usual is a sig 229 .40) and I love it. Feels mint in my hand, points well, accurate, and it's a .44. Also carry 2 speedloaders. My point is, go with what you're most comfortable with.

This.

Hell, if its a .22, go with that, if it makes you comfortable. With the right clothes, belt and holster, anything can be made more comfortable. As for me, I find the weight and heft rather comforting and I like knowing that I have a gun on me when wearing a gun.

Recently began carrying a s&w 629 3" in a sideguard iwb. A little heavy (not too bad as my other usual is a sig 229 .40) and I love it. Feels mint in my hand, points well, accurate, and it's a .44. Also carry 2 speedloaders. My point is, go with what you're most comfortable with.

Fair question: a revolver represents over 100 years of technology (it is mature technology and if you say it is obsolete then you might as well say the 1911 is too). Reliability, ability to withstand a fair amount of abuse (dirt, lint etc) and keep on ticking. Second strike capability, gun doesn't fire, simply advance to the next chamber. Not finicky about bullet configuration as far as HP, RN etc. If the hammer can ignite the primer it will go boom. Extremely lightweight. Light enough, in fact that you could easily carry two airweight J frames. Only real liability is reloading.

Profile is not a thin as a semi-auto, but a J in a pocket holster will do the trick, and I've been known to carry an N frame under the right circumstances in lieu of a full size or commander sized service auto.

Simplicity of the manual of arms and very safe to operate.

Ruger LCR .38 Sp/.357 magnum

I am very happy with my Ruger LCR .38 Sp/.357 magnum. The trigger is very smooth and gives no surprises. It being a snub nose, it requires a lot of practice to shoot accurately, but that's the nature of any snubber.

Easy to conceal. No hammer or sharp edges that can be caught in any clothes.

It being chambered in .357 makes it very versatile. Feed it a .357 magnum Vital-Shok 180 grain cast core, and it has the potential to stop a black bear. Feed it .38 Special 90 grain Critical Defense Lite, and my 98 year old grandmother can comfortable use it for self defense.

In the not too distant future, when Massachusetts laws allows for only one gun per household, my LCR .357 magnum is the one I will keep.

large.jpg

Last edited:
My two main carry guns are a Glock 19 and an LCR depending on wardrobe & mood. Can't go wrong with a snubbie from S&W or Ruger.

Check out the 8-shot 357 from S&W. They have them in everything from 2" barrel on up.

ETA: Everyone else have already covered the reliability issue. You load them and they fire. Simple really.

I carry a 642 all of the time. I have never carried a LCR, but have shot them and find both to be suitable and dependable. The important thing is to be proficient with it, and have it when you need it: Practice often and carry always.

In reality tough, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you need more than 2 or 3 shots to resolve it or get out of it, just lean over and kiss your butt goodbye. Then your're way into it over your head already.

Perhaps not everyone believes what they see in the movies... You know, like 3 bullets to take down 3 badguys that are on the move[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom