• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering buying revolver for conceal carry alternative ?

Well, enlighten us with a reason why it's preferable. I'm being antagonistic because, well I roll that way, but because I literally have no other reason I can come up with to carry a wheel gun over anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

That's manure.
You must have never shot one or you'd realize even a snub nose is plenty accurate out to 21 feet and beyond.

Those 6 or 7 rounds vs. my 20+ in my Glock (with a preban mag, Marsha Hi!) ???

Maybe I'm just such a bad shot that I want more ammo at my disposal.

Edit: Help me understand here, folks. If a six shooter is preferable to carry, I want to know about it. It's my family and my life I'm protecting after all.

Last edited:
Considering that there's another thread with guys talking about carrying 15 rounds in 9mm with 2 spare mags, I didn't think it was a stupid question. But I hope to someday be a superior shot such as yourself, hopelly someday! Eye roll....

Most times when you need to shoot someone it will be a split second act. The first couple of shots will determine the results. You can carry all the rounds you want, it boils down to the first few shots. Now if you are being attacked by terrorist with unlimited rounds its time to rethink the situation.

Revolvers have been carry guns for longer than anyone here has been alive.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

Those 6 or 7 rounds vs. my 22+ in my Glock (with a preban mag, Marsha Hi!) ???

It's all preference my friend. I just got a chuckle out of the "only effective if pressed agents an assailants body" comment (you've heard). Just sounded so gun shop gossip talk.

It's all preference my friend. I just got a chuckle out of the "only effective if pressed agents an assailants body" comment (you've heard). Just sounded so gun shop gossip talk.

Ahhhh, come on now. Don't use anecdotal evidence here or some strawman about fudd gun shop commentary. Personal preference to me is living not dieing. Just my humble opinion, a wheel gun is not the gun to carry if you want to maximize your ability to survive.

Well, enlighten us with a reason why it's preferable. I'm being antagonistic because, well I roll that way, but because I literally have no other reason I can come up with to carry a wheel gun over anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Those 6 or 7 rounds vs. my 20+ in my Glock (with a preban mag, Marsha Hi!) ???

Maybe I'm just such a bad shot that I want more ammo at my disposal.

Edit: Help me understand here, folks. If a six shooter is preferable to carry, I want to know about it. It's my family and my life I'm protecting after all.

Carry what you are comfortable with and leave it at that. [thumbsup]

Ahhhh, come on now. Don't use anecdotal evidence here or some strawman about fudd gun shop commentary. Personal preference to me is living not dieing. Just my humble opinion, a wheel gun is not the gun to carry if you want to maximize your ability to survive.

No doubt about that. Like I said before, more often than not I'm willing to take the calculated risk of limiting myself to five rounds and snub barrel for the convenience of comfort and conceal ability. Now that the winter is practically upon us, the heavy cloths come out and so do the CRAZYS around the holidays. I typically switch it up to say G26 perhaps? Feel better?

No doubt about that. Like I said before, more often than not I'm willing to take the calculated risk of limiting myself to five rounds and snub barrel for the convenience of comfort and conceal ability. Now that the winter is practically upon us, the heavy cloths come out and so do the CRAZYS around the holidays. I typically switch it up to say G26 perhaps? Feel better?

lol yeah, I guess I'll surrender now. Just needed to hear some kind of rationale for it.

. I normally carry my shield 40sw everywhere that is legal....including at work. I am interested in getting a revolver also..... just wondering if it makes sense to do so.....not that we need it to make sense[grin] ! Just wondering who out there does carry a revolver at times and any suggestions or experience that would help. I am considering a Ruger LCR orr possibly the SP101.

I'm hear ya, got a shield 9.. but for some reason I'm itch in to get a LCR

Do most of you get the 357 model to have best of both worlds ?

Simple answer yes. However I didn't. I have a scandium version. .357 in a scandium or air weight is like a bomb going off in you're hand. A older steel model will handle the recoil fine.

Simple answer yes. However I didn't. I have a scandium version. .357 in a scandium or air weight is like a bomb going off in you're hand. A older steel model will handle the recoil fine.
Ya...that's what I have been thinking....probably never want to shoot 357 through something that light !!

Ya...that's what I have been thinking....probably never want to shoot 357 through something that light !!

340PD.....

.357 mag is NOT fun, but that's what is in mine when I carry it.

Hit the range and shoot .38 for practice...a few .357 mag for the fun of it before done for the day, but yes, OUCH!

'tis not a gun to plink with.

not a lot of fun or something you'd want to take to the range and shoot regularly. Definitely a "carry a lot shoot little" gun.

Last edited:
.357 mag out of a snubby loses a lot of velocity but is very loud with tons of flash. Not to mention recoil. But if you like it carry what you like. I like my LCR and can shoot it very accurately even at 50-75 feet. Have wowed a few folks at the range with it. Just takes focus. At self defense ranges it's definitely plenty accurate. Very lightweight.

.357 mag out of a snubby loses a lot of velocity but is very loud with tons of flash. Not to mention recoil. But if you like it carry what you like. I like my LCR and can shoot it very accurately even at 50-75 feet. Have wowed a few folks at the range with it. Just takes focus. At self defense ranges it's definitely plenty accurate. Very lightweight.
My guess is you'll never need it beyond about 10' away. So long as it's good from 10' and under, I'm in.

First to hit wins is the biggest load of turd out there. And all the talk about shot placement, shot placement...yea we see how well shot placement works with LEO in shootouts and let's be honest here....the most of us have as much range time as your standard jbt.

The story I just posted...the ccw holder was not the first to get off first...2 rounds went through him before he got a round off...the only reason why the perp stopped firing? 5 round wheel gun..he ran away when he realized he HF lost the gun fight...what if it was the other way around? Right.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

First to hit wins is the biggest load of turd out there. And all the talk about shot placement, shot placement...yea we see how well shot placement works with LEO in shootouts and let's be honest here....the most of us have as much range time as your standard jbt.

The story I just posted...the ccw holder was not the first to get off first...2 rounds went through him before he got a round off...the only reason why the perp stopped firing? 5 round wheel gun..he ran away when he realized he HF lost the gun fight...what if it was the other way around? Right.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

A 5 shot wheel gun? what bullets? A hollow point 357 in one nasty round.

Revolver....point, shoot, BANG....every time.

No brass, no FTF, no FTE.

Sure, 5 shots but they fly.

How's your hi-cap mag...JAM.

Have to admit....if this is true that is some nice shooting. I am new at this ..but I know at close quarters I am going to hit what I am shooting at. That wasn't one of the reasons I started this post....just trying to get some input on what people are carrying for revolvers and any info that will help me make my decision. I like revolvers and am going to get one....might even trade my M&P 40SW FULL SIZE for the right deal. I don't use the Full size....I carry the shield every day. Full size range kit with 50-100 rounds through it. Must say though lots of great input on this forum....that's what is so good about asking these questions.

Have to admit....if this is true that is some nice shooting. I am new at this ..but I know at close quarters I am going to hit what I am shooting at. That wasn't one of the reasons I started this post....just trying to get some input on what people are carrying for revolvers and any info that will help me make my decision. I like revolvers and am going to get one....might even trade my M&P 40SW FULL SIZE for the right deal. I don't use the Full size....I carry the shield every day. Full size range kit with 50-100 rounds through it. Must say though lots of great input on this forum....that's what is so good about asking these questions.

This begs the question, is this really going to be a carry gun or do you want a revolver that you may carry?

That's manure.
You must have never shot one or you'd realize even a snub nose is plenty accurate out to 21 feet and beyond.
I think who ever told him that is refering to the fact that a revolver won't go out of battery. If you press the barrel of a semi against someone it could and therefore it would not fire.
The gun I usually carry during the summer months is an S&W 442. I have no problem with the trigger and I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Last edited:
This begs the question, is this really going to be a carry gun or do you want a revolver that you may carry?
Will be a carry gun for sure....no reason why you can't have different options for carry . The obvious argument about more firepower or rounds from a semi auto don't really mean much to me. my feelings are this.....If I was a police officer etc. I would want the extra capacity. I am just a guy going through everyday life ....my handgun is like an insurance policy....hoping I never have to use it but if I do it is better to have it then not !! If I do need to use it and it requires me to need more than sayb 5 - 10 rounds...holy cow....that's a gunfight andf I am not trained for that situation anyway....so good luck to me! Do yo get my point

Will be a carry gun for sure....no reason why you can't have different options for carry . The obvious argument about more firepower or rounds from a semi auto don't really mean much to me. my feelings are this.....If I was a police officer etc. I would want the extra capacity. I am just a guy going through everyday life ....my handgun is like an insurance policy....hoping I never have to use it but if I do it is better to have it then not !! If I do need to use it and it requires me to need more than sayb 5 - 10 rounds...holy cow....that's a gunfight andf I am not trained for that situation anyway....so good luck to me! Do yo get my point

I meant are you really looking for a carry revolver or range one.

This statement made me ask.

I like revolvers and am going to get one....might even trade my M&P 40SW FULL SIZE for the right deal. I don't use the Full size..

For a range revolver a S&W 686 is tough to beat. Love mine. 4 inch barrel. Like shooting a .22 with .38 specials. Very manageable even with full house .357 loads. Noise and flash is really something. Gets attention at the range.

The LCR for carry is great. I like mine in .38 for carry but if you are recoil sensitive the .357 version has a steel vs. aluminum frame and the added weight dampens recoil. You don't have to run .357's through it.

The LCR is a generation ahead of the J frame, IMO. Better trigger, lighter (vs. steel or way cheaper vs. scandium), less recoil.

I meant are you really looking for a carry revolver or range one.

This statement made me ask.
Want a carry revolver....something that will get the job done if need be, and can be carried concealed and with comfort. I do carry everyday and want to have the option of a semi- auto as well as a revolver. This forum offers info from experienced individuals and that is great !

Back
Top Bottom