Gold and silver prices are down

Cool but $7 over spot for a silver bar seems crazy.
The less mainstream a round, bar or bullion coin is, the less marketable it is. Recovering the premium on such bars is like totaling up the money you put into a home-brew 1911, Glock or AR and expecting to get your money out of it. If you aim is investment, stick with the basics.

The less mainstream a round, bar or bullion coin is, the less marketable it is. Recovering the premium on such bars is like totaling up the money you put into a home-brew 1911, Glock or AR and expecting to get your money out of it. If you aim is investment, stick with the basics.

Yep. $7 over SPOT is Governmental Coin or if your partial, top tier refiners like Engelhard or Johnson Matthey... and that's pushing it unless a unique/odd specimen with collectability above melt value...

This advise is appreciated, thank you.

Goldman Sachs is keeping the faith on gold, raising its 12-month price forecast to $2,150/oz., up from its previous target of $2,000, and it also recommends buying December 2022 gold futures.

"Our economists forecast a material deceleration in U.S. growth, while the imminent prospect of a new hiking cycle is leading to a risk-off environment across long-duration asset classes," Goldman analysts say. "For investors looking for a way to hedge their portfolios from risks of a growth-slowdown and falling valuations, we believe a long gold position would be more effective in the current macro environment."

What ratio of gold:silver do you all try to maintain? I’ve read 60:40, 70:30 and others (based off value, not volume)?
I don't really think about it in those precise terms. I don't know what my silver to gold ratio is. I will say that I tend to be heavy gold because it doesn't take up so much space. If I ever needed to grab my family and go I could do that with 100K worth of gold. 100K worth of silver would be tough to travel with.

What ratio of gold:silver do you all try to maintain? I’ve read 60:40, 70:30 and others (based off value, not volume)?

For a PM owner I don't think this ratio matters unless you are swapping gold for silver and vice versa. If you're doing that then you could buy silver today and swap for gold later when the ratio is better. I'm not a fan of that, but some attempt it.

I did some work for a jewelry store long ago where I struck up a conversation with their gemologist. We talked about storage of wealth and portability if you needed to relocate. He was emphatic that gems were the way to go. I can understand that if you have Romanov level of wealth but in my opinion it wouldn't be as liquid as precious metals if you needed to buy food, hire a boat, or bribe a guard.

I did some work for a jewelry store long ago where I struck up a conversation with their gemologist. We talked about storage of wealth and portability if you needed to relocate. He was emphatic that gems were the way to go. I can understand that if you have Romanov level of wealth but in my opinion it wouldn't be as liquid as precious metals if you needed to buy food, hire a boat, or bribe a guard.

Hopefully he wasn't talking about diamonds, which are a common mineral that's only valuable cause DeBeers controls the supply.

Magic ratios are always being puffed by people who want to make money selling you their silver rather than holding to retain the very high appreciation they always seem to be predicting.

Last edited:
Hopefully he wasn't talking about diamonds, which are a common mineral that's only valuable cause DeBeers controls the supply.
Add the growing prevalence of lab-created diamonds, which can not be easily distinguished from natural, and I would not consider them for the lay person.

US and Canadian coins that can be easily tested, measured and weighed for me thanks.

Does the Queen’s Beast completer coin get anyone else’s juices flowing? Only one of the set I bought and only one I want.

Does the Queen’s Beast completer coin get anyone else’s juices flowing? Only one of the set I bought and only one I want.

I hadn’t heard of it but I love the series. For a while I was buying them cause they qualified for Ebay bucks and were a great price. But I only have a few of the styles. They seem to cost a fortune now.

oh look, gold is $1799. That's not something you see every day. More like every week.
Yeah...they stepped up their varmint troll game HARD this week when they let the price nudge over $1850 and then dropped it like newborn Puerto Rican baby into a dumpster back below $1795.

Jokes on them though, because I bought another 1/2oz today and will (eventually) use it any way possible to help collapse their scheme.

Yeah...they stepped up their varmint troll game HARD this week when they let the price nudge over $1850 and then dropped it like newborn Puerto Rican baby into a dumpster back below $1795.

Jokes on them though, because I bought another 1/2oz today and will (eventually) use it any way possible to help collapse their scheme.

Well, I can’t take all the credit. Just like a month ago, gold magically tanked below $1800 on the last day for $1800 gold options, so all those long gold options expired worthless. Suckers. Just buy physical, don’t do deals with the devil or you’ll get burned.

Well, I can’t take all the credit. Just like a month ago, gold magically tanked below $1800 on the last day for $1800 gold options, so all those long gold options expired worthless. Suckers. Just buy physical, don’t do deals with the devil or you’ll get burned.
I’m not knowledgeable enough to buy anything BUT physical. I’m not even sure I’m knowledgeable enough to buy physical because 90% all the gold I have I’ve bought at current prices. I bought 100 ASE’s when they were $14, but that was the only PM’s I had for the longest time until @tinhorn offered up some of his 1/2oz coins this past year.

I’m REALLY glad I have them in case things go tits up, but honestly it’s just an easy way for me to ‘save money’. I don’t really think about them as money, and just put them in the safe...maybe someday if I need them, they’ll be there. I hope I never need them.

Right now I’ve got a little over 10% worth of what I have in my 401k in PM’s and in my research that seems like a good start. I have equal to or greater than the value of my 401k in firearms though...and at current prices, probably half that amount in ammo and another half in reloading components.

My next purchase will be some more silver, but probably go with stackable bars this go around to save room in the safe while collecting such a bulky metal.

I over-paid for the coin i bought yesterday (2021 AGE 1/2oz Type 2) because I wanted one to accompany the 2021 type 1 that I bought previously. I’m not and never will be able to afford to be a collector of anything, but I figure if I buy one or two a year for as long as I can afford to, I’ll have a nice little nest egg saved up for if the SHTF. And like you said earlier, all I’ll ever need is pants with pockets if I have to leave wherever I am.

Last edited:
I hadn’t heard of it but I love the series. For a while I was buying them cause they qualified for Ebay bucks and were a great price. But I only have a few of the styles. They seem to cost a fortune now.

I hear ya. I was late to the game on that series and older releases are expensive. I have a few of the completer coin and love how it has all the beasts on one coin. I feel like that will be the money coin down the road of the set.

I have heard some concerns regarding the USD viability as the world reserve currency if Russia moves into Ukraine and China take Taiwan. That would make the US look like less than the world's only super power and by extension the dollar might not look so strong.

Back
Top Bottom