Gold and silver prices are down

People often overlook copper as a "nuisance" metal because it is so common and ubiquitous. When SHTF it will be a much needed and highly praised commodity.

And because it’s cheap, the mines have to be massive to be profitable, so it takes 10 years to make a copper mine. We could see a shortage if the EV revolution comes to pass.

And because it’s cheap, the mines have to be massive to be profitable, so it takes 10 years to make a copper mine. We could see a shortage if the EV revolution comes to pass.
I suspect gold yields less per ton ore than copper,, adding another variable to the equation.

True, but will most likely be bought and sold like corn or oil on commodities exchanges rather than taken possession of on an individual basis.
My thoughts, as always, is when NOTHING is business-as-usual. No mines, no international sales. nothing. Just small blacksmiths and forges who would find copper useful
for making say pots/pans/cookware when all the Teflon-coated aluminum pans have been burned up and poisoned the consumers of them...

Copper will be King of the everyday... Canndo will be our Emperor.

My thoughts, as always, is when NOTHING is business-as-usual. No mines, no international sales. nothing. Just small blacksmiths and forges who would find copper useful
for making say pots/pans/cookware when all the Teflon-coated aluminum pans have been burned up and poisoned the consumers of them...

Copper will be King of the everyday... Canndo will be our Emperor.
So you’re talking like EMP scenario?

Do I get to choose what color my loin cloth is? I don’t want it to clash with my spear handle.

So you’re talking like EMP scenario?

Do I get to choose what color my loin cloth is? I don’t want it to clash with my spear handle.
More of a breakdown of society/economy/supply. Everything else we can live with and struggle through.
The way we get there is less important than how we react once We Are There...
Think Long Term, not Short Term.

There is a reason Gold and Silver are called "Precious Metals." Copper, steel and Iron are "Necessary Metals".
Think pre-Industrial Revolution and you may survive...

Last edited:
You are FREAKIN me out, man!
More of a breakdown of society/economy/supply. Everything else we can live with and struggle through.
The way we get there is less important than how we react once We Are There...
Think Long Term, not Short Term.

There is a reason Gold and Silver are called "Precious Metals." Copper, steel and Iron are "Necessary Metals".
Think pre-Industrial Revolution and you may survive...

Freak now, Thrive later...

Remember: Buy Now and be Prepared, Buy Later? Who knows? Who freaking Knows...???
How much will it COST??? How much will be AVAILABLE???

Choice is YOURS...

Last edited:
I suspect gold yields less per ton ore than copper,, adding another variable to the equation.

No it’s not even close. A very good avg grade of copper mine would be 5% copper. That’s 110 lbs of copper per ton at $4/ton. Only two mines in the world have 5% copper grade. The avg global copper grade is 0.6% which is only $60/ton.

Compared that to a high grade gold mine like Fosterville that is 31g/ton and that’s $1800 per ton. There are many other factors of course that affect how profitable the ore is.

But this is why there are so few copper mines compared to gold.

Last edited:
Generally shortly after the time I admit defeat is when I'm right...

:)
Not on the roll I'm on LOL. The Market is down sure but it SHOULD have crashed by now. I missed badly on the bond market. Interest rates SHOULD be way up by now and their not. Now the FED tried to raise them on Trump to hurt Trump and have refused to raise them on Biden to protect Biden and that's something I could never predict. One thing with high inflation now is that there is NO shelter. Under Carter I took out CD's paying 12 to 14 % which helped buffer higher prices. Today with crap interest rates the people have no buffer and truly feel every bit of inflation with no place to turn.

Not on the roll I'm on LOL. The Market is down sure but it SHOULD have crashed by now. I missed badly on the bond market. Interest rates SHOULD be way up by now and their not. Now the FED tried to raise them on Trump to hurt Trump and have refused to raise them on Biden to protect Biden and that's something I could never predict. One thing with high inflation now is that there is NO shelter. Under Carter I took out CD's paying 12 to 14 % which helped buffer higher prices. Today with crap interest rates the people have no buffer and truly feel every bit of inflation with no place to turn.

When H Ross Perot sold Perot Systems way back when he took the proceeds and did the same with very high interest rate treasuries. He made a fortune for many years living off the interest.

Remember when savings account offered 5% interest by law here in MA? No risk savings accounts? Yeah they were eliminated too.

Here's the thing. Crap interest rates are a tax on savers. Primarily the elderly who have put aside a nest egg for retirement and don't want any risk.

You're right... things should be different. Common sense says so. But commons sense in the government is long gone. It's all about corruption, greed and getting re-elected.

And it sucks...

The marriage certificate has a “It’s always my fault” clause.

About 15 years ago a young guy in my office was getting married. He came into my office and asked what was the key to a long marriage (I'm over 40 years at this point).

I looked at him and said, "It's your fault". I don't think he fully understood at the time. But about a decade after his wedding he called me and said I gave him the best advice of all.

:)

Back
Top Bottom