Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick couple of lines that I copied from Patch. It may affect Instructors that issue the necessary certificate to apply for a LTC or FID. Seems like the State may change the rules. Anyway, two items from the Patch article states:

•Develops standardized curriculum for gun safety training;
•Establishes stricter certification process for firearms safety instructor

Just a quick couple of lines that I copied from Patch. It may affect Instructors that issue the necessary certificate to apply for a LTC or FID. Seems like the State may change the rules. Anyway, two items from the Patch article states:

Right now MFS and other schools/instructors are creaming in their pants along with the FFLs.

The Police Chief having discretion over LTC was always a clear 2A violation, and now that violation gets extended to FID cards....

The Jews were gassed because they were Jews, Women were burned at the stake because some said they were a Witch...and a Gun Applicant can be denied because...well,,,just because.

It's good to have Constitutional rights....as long as someone says you do.

I have said this for years, the Constitution isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's whoever hold the powers decides the rules.

Heller was 5-4....

Right now MFS and other schools/instructors are creaming in their pants along with the FFLs.

Let's not put words into peoples mouths. I'm an instructor and I'm certainly not creaming into anything. MFS are good guys, as are most of the FFLs.

Not really. People need to take some kind of BFS course regardless, if anything a lot of instructors/schools are likely going to be pissed and there will be lots of administrative overhead with any law changes in this arena... and at the end, they're not going to be making any more money. Not to mention if live fire is mandated, you need more staff to do that if you have a good number of students. The whole thing is a nightmare. Nobody is "getting happy" about any of this crap.

-Mike

Let's not put words into peoples mouths. I'm an instructor and I'm certainly not creaming into anything. MFS are good guys, as are most of the FFLs.

Yeah, I think we need to avoid the temptation to vilify people on our side. I'm an instructor, so I am curious (worried?) about these provisions too.

Will I have to jump through more hoops to get the MA-approved firearms instructor certification? Will this change improve the quality of safety training M*******s receive prior to getting their LTCs? I see a lot of complaints on NES about crappy instructors providing courses that don't meet the required minimum or instructors who provide incorrect/false information. And then there's the whole argument that requiring safety training is unconstitutional...

Anyway, the devil will be in the details.

from the Globe.
Under the bill, which DeLeo said he hoped could be enacted by the end of this legislative session in July, the discretion by police chiefs to issue handguns to applicants would be extended to rifles and shotguns, the state would join a national database to check the backgrounds of applicants, and all private sales of firearms would have to occur in the presence of a licensed firearms dealer.

The Police Chief having discretion over LTC was always a clear 2A violation, and now that violation gets extended to FID cards....

The Jews were gassed because they were Jews, Women were burned at the stake because some said they were a Witch...and a Gun Applicant can be denied because...well,,,just because.

It's good to have Constitutional rights....as long as someone says you do.

I have said this for years, the Constitution isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's whoever hold the powers decides the rules.

Heller was 5-4....

Well said. Pretty much nailed it on the head WRT gun applicants. Why should a CoP let a law abiding citizen own firearms? Because **** you that's why.

SECTION 32. [Consistency Among State Laws] Requires EOPSS to consult with AG’s office in publishing its
weapons roster and prohibits EOPSS from including on the roster, the make and model of any weapon,
the sale of which would constitute an unfair or deceptive trade act or practice pursuant to section 131K
of chapter 140 or section 2 of chapter 93A.

So, if Glocks are not allowed under 93A (AG regs), does that mean they need to be removed from the EOPSS roster, and thus will no longer be able to be sold to police departments in MA?

Not sure if FFLs are happy. Administrative overhead, costs associated with sales that are not theirs, potential liability if something gets messed up. No one likes when the regulators thrust things upon you.

"SECTION 49. Establishes a special commission to study and report on suitable and feasible options for the safekeeping of a distressed person’s firearms in a location away from the household."

Sir you disagree with us, so you must be distressed. We'll take all of those and keep them safe for you, we promise.

Item 1 is likely once they catch wind of NRA's planned changes in training curricula. But to date few are aware of what those changes will be from NRA, so this isn't a reaction to that.

Item 2 really should happen regardless. The idea that anyone can plunk down $50 and get certified even if they have no clue what they are doing as a trainer has irritated many including police chiefs, competent instructors and gun clubs (who suffer with the results of newbies pointing guns in every direction because they were never taught basic safety rules).

Yeah, I think we need to avoid the temptation to vilify people on our side. I'm an instructor, so I am curious (worried?) about these provisions too.

Will I have to jump through more hoops to get the MA-approved firearms instructor certification? Will this change improve the quality of safety training M*******s receive prior to getting their LTCs? I see a lot of complaints on NES about crappy instructors providing courses that don't meet the required minimum or instructors who provide incorrect/false information. And then there's the whole argument that requiring safety training is unconstitutional...

Anyway, the devil will be in the details.

Although I agree with you that REQUIRING safety training is a violation of the 2nd Amendment . . . if we have to do it, it should be done competently so that the student actually learns something about gun handling safety. Instructors should have a clue what they are talking about and also the ability to actually teach!

I don't see any proposed change being a gravy train for instructors. I expect it to be a huge PITA, more bureaucratic BS and higher cost to instructors but not to students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom