• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Well the 100yd is looking as expected sadly. I haven’t been able to set enough time aside until yesterday to even go shooting and man the range looks like shit. No one picks up targets at all any more? The person shooting with me said, the last time he was there and asked to go down range to pick up his targets the response was “you’re one of those guys huh” . Nice stewardship. The steel plate was hanging on the target frame one was leaned up on the ground. The conglomeration of broken chains hardware and broken steel were nice touches too. People want all the freedom and none of the responsibility.

Well the 100yd is looking as expected sadly. I haven’t been able to set enough time aside until yesterday to even go shooting and man the range looks like shit. No one picks up targets at all any more? The person shooting with me said, the last time he was there and asked to go down range to pick up his targets the response was “you’re one of those guys huh” . Nice stewardship. The steel plate was hanging on the target frame one was leaned up on the ground. The conglomeration of broken chains hardware and broken steel were nice touches too. People want all the freedom and none of the responsibility.
The bolts get broken fairly quickly, and I was replacing them with ones I had picked up from an estate sale many years ago, but I finally ran out. The bolts are the weak point and I was finding them (one of the 6 at least) broken just about weekly.

The ear broke on the large plate, which made it impossible to reattach, so that probably needs to be fully replaced. That led to people shooting more at the smaller plates, with predictable results.

I'm not sure how to get people to pick up the paper/targets. The recent emails indicate there are other bigger rules that people are ignoring.

i am sorry too, i was not there almost all fall long, kids schedule now got in the way big time for me to get out.
most people who shoot there are ok, but, unfortunately, it does not take too many pigs to turn all into a pigsty.

if you think of getting together to clean it up - let us know when.

The bolts get broken fairly quickly, and I was replacing them with ones I had picked up from an estate sale many years ago, but I finally ran out. The bolts are the weak point and I was finding them (one of the 6 at least) broken just about weekly.

The ear broke on the large plate, which made it impossible to reattach, so that probably needs to be fully replaced. That led to people shooting more at the smaller plates, with predictable results.

I'm not sure how to get people to pick up the paper/targets. The recent emails indicate there are other bigger rules that people are ignoring.
It’s ok I’m going to order some larger plates and the rack will be rebuilt in the spring with large telephone poles and a steel I-beam.
I had made a video but didn’t post it cuz I was swearing.

It’s ok I’m going to order some larger plates and the rack will be rebuilt in the spring with large telephone poles and a steel I-beam.
I had made a video but didn’t post it cuz I was swearing.
Sounds like we should sharpen our digging skills for next spring :)

Sounds like we should sharpen our digging skills for next spring :)
Does Harvard still have the Groundhog it bought 25 or so years ago? It originally came with too big an auger for the 4x4 wood used for temporary walls for match stages, that might fit the bill. There is also a smaller auger. I remember it well since it was delivered to me at work and I hauled it up to Harvard.

Does Harvard still have the Groundhog it bought 25 or so years ago? It originally came with too big an auger for the 4x4 wood used for temporary walls for match stages, that might fit the bill. There is also a smaller auger. I remember it well since it was delivered to me at work and I hauled it up to Harvard.
The joke is that during the spring cleanup msvasquez indicated he was going to get the auger and we just started digging the holes for the posts. Turns out that we can dig faster than he can get the auger. :)

@msvasquez might post pics of the new steel we put up this morning.

I attempted to break them with a 22lr but was unsuccessful. A squib round ended my attempts. Federal Automatch 22 apparently had no powder and got lodged 10 inches down the barrel. I realized it based on the sound and the ejected cartridge had no projectile in it. Took it home and pushed it out. First one i’ve ever had.

After one week the steel is still hanging but got hit pretty hard in the lower right. Couple big dents and bent the plate

617CACD5-718E-440E-BE87-1651F6CD6BEE.jpeg

I've been to Harvard a number of times in the past for things like Appleseed shoots, shooting with friends who were members, etc. Right now I'm looking for a new club - is Harvard open to new members, and if so is attending the Sunday breakfast still the way to get started? All the guys I knew who were members have moved away. I know the next breakfast is coming up on Jan 8th.

I have not heard that Harvard was NOT open to new members.
(kids, don't use double negatives in a sentence. Professional driver; closed course)

you need to be sponsored by an existing member so perhaps rubbing some elbows at a breakfast will introduce you to some people.

I've been to Harvard a number of times in the past for things like Appleseed shoots, shooting with friends who were members, etc. Right now I'm looking for a new club - is Harvard open to new members, and if so is attending the Sunday breakfast still the way to get started? All the guys I knew who were members have moved away. I know the next breakfast is coming up on Jan 8th.

Last I heard the breakfasts were moved to member only, not sure that has changed. I just looked at the November email and they make no mention of this exclusion. I’ll look when we get an email this week.

The previous page of this thread had some suggestions for someone else looking to join who did not know any current member.

Last edited:
Last I heard the breakfasts were moved to member only, not sure that has changed. I just looked at the November email and they make no mention of this exclusion. I’ll look when we get an email this week.

The previous page of this thread had some suggestions for someone else looking to join who did not know any current member.
Thanks, I'll read the suggestions on the previous page

Back
Top Bottom