How do you prefer to close the slide on your semi-auto?

How do you close the slide on your semi-auto?

• I use the slide lock.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I slingshot my slide.

Votes: 65 44.8%
  • What difference does it make?

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I don't respond to polls like this. somebody might be watching.3

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use the slide release to chamber a round, which I'm told is wrong as it applies a weaker force.

To close a slide with the magazine out, I use both the slide release and allow the slide to move into position slowly while being held. I think it causes less damage to the firearm.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Care to translate that for us?

I think he is referring to which side of the slide his thumb is on when he jacks the slide...
With the gun in close, he has his thumb 'twards himself, using the "overhand", pushing back on the slide grip.
If the pistol is extended out at arms-length, grabbing the slide and pulling straight back.

My interpretation anyways...

Slide release.

To close a slide with the magazine out, I use both the slide release and allow the slide to move into position slowly while being held. I think it causes less damage to the firearm.

Respectfully,

jkelly

That's my understanding also (at least it is with a 1911).

Depends on whether I am feeding a round into the chamber or not.

If the former; I use release the slide lock; if the latter, I ease the slide into battery.

What is your preferred method for closing the slide on your semi-auto? I used to slingshot, but now, for speed, I use the slide lock.

IIRC, the slingshot method was taught in my NRA Basic Pistol Instructors course at GOAL. Now if only I could remember who my intructors were....

I use the slide release to chamber a round, which I'm told is wrong as it applies a weaker force.

I'll bite - weaker than what?

Whether one "slingshots" the slide or uses the slide lock release, the force is the same: That contained in the compressed recoil spring.

Whether one "slingshots" the slide or uses the slide lock release, the force is the same: That contained in the compressed recoil spring.

Not to change the subject or hijack the thread, but when did this appear on your membership status?

Scrivener "Shits on Newbies"

[rofl]

Actually, the force is probably not exactly the same. Slingshotting the slide compresses the spring just a little bit more (and more closely mimics the semi-automatic's operation of firing a shot and the recoil forcing the slide to the rear limit of travel) and hence you would get a tiny bit more force. It would probably take an engineer to measure the additional force but it would be there.

I was taught to slingshot the slide, because in a high stress adrenaline pumping situation you will often lose fine motor skills.

I'd rather be habitualized to pulling back the slide, rather than struggling with the slide lock in a combat situation.

Mine doesn't run out of ammo. [smile]

But to show clear, I pull back on the slide racker with my index finger with my thumb on the beaver tail, slowly pull back, the round ejects on to my trigger finger along side the frame. Then I slowly release the slide

I was taught to slingshot the slide, because in a high stress adrenaline pumping situation you will often lose fine motor skills.

<rant>
That's the theory. But it presupposes that cycling the slide manually is somehow more of a gross motor skill than hitting the slide stop with your support thumb. Personally, I believe that to be bunk. It is quite easy when cycling the slide overhand to have your hand slip on the slide, particularly if your hands are sweaty (which they just might be due to stress). IMNSHO, it is at least as error prone to slingshot the slide as it is to hit the slide stop.

I've never seen a proponent of the slingshot method ever cite a study that proves their assertion. And the slide stop is about 1/2 second faster.

Now, if you are running a gun that has a slide stop that is too small (e.g., Glock, Sig), then I can understand why you might decide to slingshot the slide. But if you are running a gun with a good-sized slide stop that is positioned correctly (e.g., M1911, HK USP), then I see no point in adding 1/2 second to every one of my reloads.
</rant>

I'll bite - weaker than what?---Scrivener
The recoil spring applies a weaker force on the slide when released from the "slide lock" position then if it is pulled to the "rear" and released (assuming that the "rear" position is farther away from the springs resting position then the slide lock position (Hooke's Law F=-kx)).

Respectfully,

jkelly

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/Applets/animator4/demo_hook.html

Last edited:
I think he is referring to which side of the slide his thumb is on when he jacks the slide...
With the gun in close, he has his thumb 'twards himself, using the "overhand", pushing back on the slide grip.
If the pistol is extended out at arms-length, grabbing the slide and pulling straight back.

My interpretation anyways...

Steve, you are correct.

I took Cross-X's question in the context of chambering a cartridge.

Slingshot, but for a different reason. My thumb is too short to reach the slide lock on my 1911 without shifting my grip.

Don't use your right thumb on the slide stop -- use your left thumb, just as you acquire a good, two-handed thumbs-forward grip:
HGcombatg_100206D.jpg

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/index3.html

Slide lock. But with my M&P just forcefully inserting a magazine will release the slide lock. I have not decided if I want to send it back to S&W to get it fixed, I kind of like it.

Slide lock. But with my M&P just forcefully inserting a magazine will release the slide lock. I have not decided if I want to send it back to S&W to get it fixed, I kind of like it.
I like that "feature" on my M&P. My S&W 4043 does the same as long as it's fairly clean.

Back
Top Bottom