• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How often do you clean your guns?

How frequently do you clean your gun?

• More frequently than I shoot it.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Every time I shoot regardless of how many rounds.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • Every 200 rounds or so.

Votes: 44 24.0%
  • Every 500 rounds or so.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • I put more than 500 rounds through it between cleanings.

Votes: 26 14.2%

• Total voters
Just treat it like your wife. You should clean it after every use...at least I prefer it that way![laugh] As for guns, I have found that it is much easier and quicker to give them a quick once over after a trip to the range, than to wait until a couple or more. Plus, I find it kind of relaxing to disassemble and clean/detail them, but that's just me...[wink]

Like my wife? No, i'd never ignore my guns for football.

I usually clean my guns after a trip to the range regardless of round count but I'm not a stickler. Sometimes I don't get to clean it before the next visit to the range but it doesn't make me cry. Carry gun I'm pretty strict about though.

If it's a carry gun I clean it pretty regularly. Otherwise, I tend not to care as much and do it about once every 3-5 trips to the range, unless its a .22 rimfire semiautomatic handgun, where I don't bother taking it to the range if I don't clean it. .22 LR semis tend to malfunction if you look at them the wrong way, and all the .22 LR bulk ammo on the market consists of "Pure 110% dirt with a primer behind it". The same also applies to 1911s, which (at present) I only use for killing bowling pins, and I get a max of 2 "events" out of those before they need at least some maintenance. Going a third time tends to result in being punished by the gun (eg, jams, feed failures, etc. )

-Mike

What he said. ^

I voted "everytime I shoot regardless of how many rounds", but sometimes if I'm bored on a rainy Sunday I'll pull half a dozen out and clean them just for the hell and fun of it.

Where's the option for, "When they stop working"?...

This is what I was looking for, but they didn't have that box to check off. I think, " when they need it" best suits the response for me. Also when I have free time on my hands I'll take one or two apart on rotation and give em a good cleaning.

With the exception of the .22's, I clean everything after wards.
If I don't get to it that night, I'll do it with in the next week.

The .22's I'll clean every few trips, which is usually 1000 rounds min unless I have time when I get home that night/day.

I will typically shoot in strings with the same firearms - then clean them & put 'em up for storage. I'll take my .22 and a 9mm to the range for a week or two...then clean them and select another firearm to "exercise" for a few weeks.

I used to clean them after each visit...but that In My Humbler Experience was overkill.

My carry guns are blown out (dust) regularly and cleaned when they look to be in need.

I tend to buy things that will run dirty. I may bring my guns to the range one week but not get around to cleaning them till a few weeks later and in between may bring them out for another range trip.I just feel like taking them down everytime to clean them wears them out faster so I tend to put off cleaning till I know they really need it. Often times I just hit the rails and bolts with a little oil and they are good to go.

Finally detail stripped my g22 for the first time last night (and cleaned it too). I realize that my Glock didn't need it, but figure it will give me a chance to inspect everything and make sure the timer, detonator, and connections are still functional.[wink]

Depends. My carry piece, I clean every time I shoot it. My other guns, I'll clean after a couple range trips or generous use, so around 200 rounds or so. My AK... ha!

Depends. My carry piece, I clean every time I shoot it. My other guns, I'll clean after a couple range trips or generous use, so around 200 rounds or so. My AK... ha!

I think my AK gets done once a year. Actually at this rate its been like a year and a half since any cleaning products have touched it.

-Mike

I think my AK gets done once a year. Actually at this rate its been like a year and a half since any cleaning products have touched it.

-Mike

Yeah, to be honest, I will probably clean it after a case or so of ammo. I've cleaned it twice in the year+ that I've had it, and one time was only because I shot ammo with corrosive primers. I do rub a small amount of oil on the outside of it after every range trip just to keep it looking nice.

I look at it like anything else...

I don't wash the car on Sat morning, drive to the store and come home and wash it again.

They get cleaned when they look like they need to be cleaned. If it's dirty ammo, then sooner than later. But for the most part, when it looks like it needs to be cleaned, I clean.

I do rub a small amount of oil on the outside of it after every range trip just to keep it looking nice.

I think ive cleaned mine twice in the last 4 years. It hasn't been out to play much the past year and a half though. A little oil on the outside after shooting and back in the safe. Its an AK, I think its happier when its dirty[wink]

Carry guns, every time no exception. corrosive - every time, most everything else every trip unless I don't have time, I try to do it when I get home. The .22's - break them down when I feel like it, normally try and wipe them down with something as best I can when they're still assembled and call it a day.

Last edited:
I didn't know such a thing was even possible. Share with me your secrets.

How is this "oil" exactly "rubbed?" [smile]

This is what popped into my head when I read that:

buffalo_bill_sotl.jpg

[rofl]

To be serious, nothing fancy, I just spray some Rem Oil on a cleaning patch and wipe down the metal surfaces. My barrel is really discolored (probably from a mixture of shitty bluing and mag dumps), so I make sure to at least do that, otherwise it has a copper tone.

Back
Top Bottom