• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interest in an informal 'Top Shot' competition?

Jar,
I'd be interested too..depending on date..
I assume there'd only be one firearm used per event?
Or would one be able to use their own equipment?

I'm still in the kicking around ideas stage. My initial thought was get a few guys together and share equipment where needed. Dan's suggestions pushed me toward thinking more along the lines of an organized match.

I can see the reasons for both provided guns or run what you brung. At this point I'm leaning toward a format like post #12, where you can shoot your own guns but lending to people who don't have a gun for one of the stages would be encouraged. The time limit accuracy events could all be shot on a line together, then break up in to squads for the steel and shotgun depending on number of people.

At this point, think of this thread as a throw things at the wall and see what sticks. I haven't figured out yet how much work/organization I can put in to this. I plan to at least throw out a date and say everyone who's interested and is a HSC member meet me there with guns for x,y, and z. This could range up to gathering a staff and reserving ranges and making it a real match, open to the public.

Why reinvent the wheel. Was this not the purpose of the John Kelly Memorial Match last year? The format was similar and to continue the match in the same form, with the same name, using the same recipients of the donations, would honor John's memory.

John has been dead one year as of Febuary 01. An annual match would be a great thing.

Rest well John. You are missed.

Gary

Why reinvent the wheel. Was this not the purpose of the John Kelly Memorial Match last year? The format was similar and to continue the match in the same form, with the same name, using the same recipients of the donations, would honor John's memory.

John has been dead one year as of Febuary 01. An annual match would be a great thing.

Rest well John. You are missed.

Gary

There's another John Kelly match on the calendar for July 31, 2011. That was a great match and a great tribute to our friend John. I'm not suggesting we mess with the success of that match. I'll definitely be there to shoot it again this year, and happy to help setup and SO/RO.

The idea for this potential match is to broaden to disciplines beyond action pistol. If I decide to take it on, I'll definitely be borrowing heavily from the JKelly match as far as organization and scoring.

How about an aggregated champion.

EIC Rifle
EIC Pistol
USPSA or IDPA Pistol state or regional - still not sure what you guys call them
Trap or Skeet - Must be some kind of state champ.

B

I'd be interested, if only to fill in the bottom of the list (new to all this).

....as long as it does not fall in the summer months (on the boat as much as possible).

that would be pretty cool, I'd love to do it.

I think that we should consider using the same firearms, perhaps a donor for the event. That eliminates the problem of not everyone having something required or asking people around to borrow.

I think that we should consider using the same firearms, perhaps a donor for the event. That eliminates the problem of not everyone having something required or asking people around to borrow.

Though I think this would create a more balanced handicap. I only shoot trap with my BT-99 that's set up for me. I only shoot bullseye with my 41 that's set up for me. Catch my drift.

Requiring donor guns would also require the donor to provide the ammunition. Example, my 41 shoots CCI Standard Velocity. Sure you can try something else, but you're clearing the jam.[wink]

Though I think this would create a more balanced handicap. I only shoot trap with my BT-99 that's set up for me. I only shoot bullseye with my 41 that's set up for me. Catch my drift.

Requiring donor guns would also require the donor to provide the ammunition. Example, my 41 shoots CCI Standard Velocity. Sure you can try something else, but you're clearing the jam.[wink]

I see your point and it also depends on the competition spirit. What's the point of this event? Is it to crown the most awesome guy at shooting? That's great, but you probably get more participation with people who never shot a particular weapon and there is an element of chance too. I'm more for having a safe, clean fun, shooting some rounds and socialize.

I think a good choice for guns would be mostly milsurp, unmodified arms, with no individual adjustments or mods. I like milsurp though, so that's just my preference.

As Jar noted - I am throwing things at the wall ..

I agree with this:
...depends on the competition spirit. What's the point of this event? ...

If it's to be a "Top Shot" event similiar to that on the History Channel where each competitior shoots the same weapon - The donor weapon idea is best (cost of ammo for ea firearm could be provided via match fee).

If it's a "Top Shot" event similiar to say the style of the John Kelly Memorial Match - then I agree competitiors should bring their own sighted in weapons and ammo.
Either way sounds fun.
Have toys...will travel.

How about scoring?

Since some of the stages won't be for time I think the fairest way to score the different disciplines is to score by standing in each stage.

If there are 20 shooters for a stage 1st place gets 20pts, 2nd place gets 19pts, 3rd place gets 18pts and so forth. Do that for each stage and the person with the highest point total for all the stages combined wins the competition. I think doing it that way will also keep the pack closer together scoring wise as well.

Thoughts?

How about scoring?

Since some of the stages won't be for time I think the fairest way to score the different disciplines is to score by standing in each stage.

If there are 20 shooters for a stage 1st place gets 20pts, 2nd place gets 19pts, 3rd place gets 18pts and so forth. Do that for each stage and the person with the highest point total for all the stages combined wins the competition. I think doing it that way will also keep the pack closer together scoring wise as well.

Thoughts?
That's probably the simplest way.

Another way to do it would be IPSC like -- the top shooter in a stage gets 100% and everyone else's score is scaled to that. Add up all the stage percentages and highest wins.

How about scoring?

Thoughts?

I like the KISS approach but, I think we would need everyone to commit to every stage if we do it this way. Otherwise we could be looking at 23 points for first place in rifle and only 16 points in trap.

I like the KISS approach but, I think we would need everyone to commit to every stage if we do it this way. Otherwise we could be looking at 23 points for first place in rifle and only 16 points in trap.

Yes everyone would have to shoot every stage which is kind of the point of the competition.

This sounds like it has the making to be a great event. Is this going to be done over multiple days? Is there going to be a membership limit?

This sounds like it has the making to be a great event. Is this going to be done over multiple days? Is there going to be a membership limit?

Two days might be hard to pull off, unless they are separate weekends. This could be a fun annual thing, NES Top Shot, I'll have to come up with a trophy too.

That's probably the simplest way.

Another way to do it would be IPSC like -- the top shooter in a stage gets 100% and everyone else's score is scaled to that. Add up all the stage percentages and highest wins.

That's how the Kelly match was scored, and I think it's the way to go here as well. Doing it with only order of finish points takes away advantage from a dominant performance. If the top two guys in the bullseye event are A with 285 and B 284, and in the rifle event B scores 375 and A scores 325, B should be ahead in the overall.

How about scoring?

Thoughts?

MAShooter has done this in a couple venues and I believe he has a way to score this type of match worked out. Hopefully he will let us know but I believe he is getting some work done on an ankle and may not be on line.

That's how the Kelly match was scored, and I think it's the way to go here as well. Doing it with only order of finish points takes away advantage from a dominant performance. If the top two guys in the bullseye event are A with 285 and B 284, and in the rifle event B scores 375 and A scores 325, B should be ahead in the overall.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom