• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interest in an informal 'Top Shot' competition?

Um... Top shot doesn't have traditional matches.
Wow, that's news to all of us. [rolleyes]

Wouldn't it be more interesting to take the traditional out of the match and make it something more unique that people aren't ordinarily prepared for?
No, actually. It's Top Shot. Not Top Knife Thrower. Or Top Archer. Or Top Hatchet Thrower While Standing on Narrow Boards Over a Mud Puddle.

And it should use firearms/bows/knifes that are provided so the playing field is level - everyone using the same stuff, and it's not their stuff? Just sayin'...
Sure thing. How about you provide duplicate equipment for, say, 50 shooters for 5 disciplines? No? Didn't think so.

If you read the comment that inspired the thread it was about how a variety of traditional competitions would be a better way of determining the true best shooter. Also, we don't have the luxury of having a 30 day match.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Relax people. I have supplied my firearms for many of matches that 100's of people have used for matches I've run in the past over the years (and have had to repair them afterwards). Having a full plate of matches that I'm already involved in (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc), I can't take on another. And who said it needs to take 30 days. A 4 or 5 stage competition of different things could be done in a day. Just one person's opinion. But since I'm not running this one, my opinion is just that, MHO.

Count me in and here's an idea that may or may not work. I'd be willing to leave my guns, for that certain area, in the hands of the RO who's heading that area. He takes a license as collateral (and to keep track of who borrowed it) and can loan it out to someone who needs it. I would also note any ammo reqirements for use of said gun. Just throwing it out there to see if "it sticks".

Donor guns would require that one contestant shoots at a time. If we had 4 stages, then we would all have to use the same exact 4 guns so that some people don't have mechanical advantage. If one donor gun was better than another, then you might as well bring your own stuff. This will add to the length of time the match will take.

I really like the run what you brung idea. One thing I know about NES'rs is that they are always willing to let others shoot their toys. I'm sure we could have a "borrowing" thread at some point before the match to get guns into the hands of those who need them.

Let everyone bring their own guns, but make them SHOOT someone elses... Best of both worlds.

Um... Top shot doesn't have traditional matches. Wouldn't it be more interesting to take the traditional out of the match and make it something more unique that people aren't ordinarily prepared for? And it should use firearms/bows/knifes that are provided so the playing field is level - everyone using the same stuff, and it's not their stuff? Just sayin'...

Careful... you're liable to get accused of being a LARPer. [rolleyes]

Maybe we should have two - one with the "traditional" matches and then one that tries to recreate some of the stages on the TV show. Perhaps we should start a separate thread for that one?

Relax people. I have supplied my firearms for many of matches that 100's of people have used for matches I've run in the past over the years (and have had to repair them afterwards). Having a full plate of matches that I'm already involved in (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc), I can't take on another. And who said it needs to take 30 days. A 4 or 5 stage competition of different things could be done in a day. Just one person's opinion. But since I'm not running this one, my opinion is just that, MHO.

Supplying guns for the action stages is easier because each shooter takes about 3 minutes and they have to shoot consecutively anyway. The accuracy stages are the hard part. Each relay of a gallery match takes about 20 minutes, so you have to shoot in parallel.

Count me in and here's an idea that may or may not work. I'd be willing to leave my guns, for that certain area, in the hands of the RO who's heading that area. He takes a license as collateral (and to keep track of who borrowed it) and can loan it out to someone who needs it. I would also note any ammo reqirements for use of said gun. Just throwing it out there to see if "it sticks".

Let everyone bring their own guns, but make them SHOOT someone elses... Best of both worlds.

I like both those ideas and would be down with loaning equipment. After all......my stuff is for shooting, not sitting in the safe.

FTR....count me in.

Another idea that would keep things moving.....make them drills. like a 100yd 9-hole barricade on steel timed stage.

Yeah. Donor guns is workable if it's a couple guys screwing around at the range. If it's a real match, I don't think it is.

That said, the requirements for the stages I outlined based on Dan's suggestion can be met by most shooters. 22 handgun, 22 rifle, centerfire handgun, centerfire rifle, shotgun. Anyone who's been a shooter any length of time probably has those covered.

This sounds good, too bad I sold my only .22 handgun though.

I am covered on the rest and am more than happy to let others use my guns if they need. They're not the best, but they get the job done.....

Harvard does not require certification prior to using full-auto on the ranges. That being said, there will have to be close supervision by experienced shooters before they would let a bunch of novice competitors shoot full auto. Also I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than a 9mm subgun for both safety and ease of use. There is a dedicated steel subgun range that could be used for this stage and again it would not conflict with the other events.

This sounds like it could be fun. I see this thread is old and just got some new interest. If the date works for me and location isn't to far away I would love to try it. Having archery in the mix would be fun but doesn't have to be in there.

I'd like to see a stage that involves some cardio before shooting. [smile]

Idea for consideration. I have the GOAL "Shoot B Q" tentatively scheduled for September 25th at HSC. My idea going into this years event was to use the action pits and set up each pit differently and have an informal "fun competition" Maybe we can combine the too events and come up with a GOAL "Top Shot" and still include the BBQ aspect? Best of both worlds!

Thoughts?

Idea for consideration. I have the GOAL "Shoot B Q" tentatively scheduled for September 25th at HSC. My idea going into this years event was to use the action pits and set up each pit differently and have an informal "fun competition" Maybe we can combine the too events and come up with a GOAL "Top Shot" and still include the BBQ aspect? Best of both worlds!

Thoughts?

You had me at "BBQ".

There are lots of regular scheduled matches on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays of the month. You might want to check for/avoid other scheduled events so as to not reduce the possible draw for such a fun time. Saturdays tend to have less regular scheduled matches - or look for a 5th Sunday.

Thoughts?

yes! some P-90x, some cross fit.

-then shoot when your dirty and sweaty [smile]

rule no. 1: cardio

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom