• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

I carry a 640 proseries. I want to get its airweight brother to lighten my pocket.

If you get a 340 you will shoot it once and itll rot in the safe after that. I think at one time they had an in-between gun that didn't blow up as much but was more like 14 or 15 oz of some s*** instead of 12.

Yeah something like a 442 or 642 is actually pretty reasonable they are still kind of annoying to shoot with plus p but at least the guns won't fall apart.
I had one before, once you get use to the recoil it’s not bad. A range session with the 442 consisted of 50 rounds. I’m buying the 642 next, had rust issues with the blued version.

I had one before, once you get use to the recoil it’s not bad. A range session with the 442 consisted of 50 rounds. I’m buying the 642 next, had rust issues with the blued version.
The 642 will also corrode but not in any real way to stop it from being viable for the job. A friend of mine who pocket carried his all the time it started to get a little like flaky or something on the surface of the finish but it didn't affect the shootability of the gun at all. Probably just something sweat does to the gun. It would be interesting to see how that gun was doing today it's too bad that the police basically stole it from him and destroyed it. (The story is too long for NES).

The 642 will also corrode but not in any real way to stop it from being viable for the job. A friend of mine who pocket carried his all the time it started to get a little like flaky or something on the surface of the finish but it didn't affect the shootability of the gun at all. Probably just something sweat does to the gun. It would be interesting to see how that gun was doing today it's too bad that the police basically stole it from him and destroyed it. (The story is too long for NES).
I had corrosion issues inside the cylinder chambers. I tried all sorts of things and could never remedy the issue.. The 640 proseries I currently have is a very shootable snubby with Novak style night sights. It is a bit heavy for pocket carry, especially for a non permissive environment.

I love my S&W 7 shot 686+ w/3” barrel but I just can’t comfortably carry a 2-1/2 lb. chunk of iron on my hip. A pound and a half or so is about all this old man can handle these days as a carry piece.
Try a Smith and Wesson 360pd 11oz I don't even know it's there. Very sealthy in my belly band holster.

The main problem with shooting 357 from the snubbies is that some/most of the powder does not burn before the projectile exits the muzzle. This leads to many inconsistent results like erratic velocity and weak expansion of the bullet.
Remingtons Golden Sabre is designed to be used in the 2"-3" revolvers. It's the one I carry, when I can get it.

=
The main problem with shooting 357 from the snubbies is that some/most of the powder does not burn before the projectile exits the muzzle. This leads to many inconsistent results like erratic velocity and weak expansion of the bullet.
Remingtons Golden Sabre is designed to be used in the 2"-3" revolvers. It's the one I carry, when I can get it.
You forgot that the powder spray sometimes alights after exiting the barrel resulting in a flamethrower/sparkler effect which may be beneficial or catastrophic depending on the situation.

The difference between .357 and .38 special from a snub nose revolver is still pretty significant. The .357 magnum has an increase of between 150 FPS to 350 FPS depending on the ammo.

Speer Short Barrel 357 Magnum is excellent, too. It's only a c-hair slower than full house 357 out of a snub, drastically reduces muzzle blast etc. When I ran that stuff in my 640 it was stupidly accurate too.

I should have said I want an airweight 38 special lol
Well, I have 7 different Smith snubbies now that I bought the 360, PD, Air Lite, .357. Dont think I'll ever shoot .357's out of it, but I have to say that I'm really liking this lightweight snubby for summer carry, or for the quick, late night run to the store for milk. For carry around the house its great too. It'll get me to the Glock 21 if there's a home invasion, which will probably never happen.

Last edited:
Well, I have 7 different Smith snubbies now that I bought the 360, PD, Air Lite, .357. Dont think I'll ever shoot .357's out of it, but I have to say that I'm really liking this lightweight snubbies for summer carry, or for the quick, late night run to the store for milk. For carry around the house its great too. It'll get me to the Glock 21 if there's a home invasion, which will probably never happen.
That's a whole lotta snubbies.

i always take one of my smith model 10's out when i go to shoot. my pet is the dao i picked up a long time ago with factory bobbed hammer and round butt. i've showed it here a few times, it left the factory with a 4" bbl. the owner sent it back and had a 3" put on. sold it before he even fired a shot. sweet revolver, it was a cataloged item at the time but you just don't see many of them. it has a long trigger pull but it was worked on in the custom shop when it went to be rebarreled so it's manageable. no burrs, very smooth.

Like most folks I wanted a python for years and years...then I got a 6" S&W 586 and realized it was basically the same gun, just better put together and half the price.

Back
Top Bottom