It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

I wish to hell S&W would put these sights on all of their snubbies, not only to have a halfway decent sight picture, but to actually match POA to POI for whatever load you are carrying.
If they made this gun in a scandium frame with a steel cylinder, I would buy three.
Hickok45 can ring the gong at 100 yards all day long with a 642. "Just gotta figure out where to hold"

I wish to hell S&W would put these sights on all of their snubbies, not only to have a halfway decent sight picture, but to actually match POA to POI for whatever load you are carrying.
If they made this gun in a scandium frame with a steel cylinder, I would buy three.

IMHO making a 357 mag any lighter than a 640 usually starts to get pain (and broken) fast, though.

IMHO making a 357 mag any lighter than a 640 usually starts to get pain (and broken) fast, though.
I don't really believe in small frame .357 snubbies, and the extra weight of a stainless gun starts canceling out the benefit of a tiny pocketable pistol.
IMHO J-frames are 38 special guns, or if you are going to get all hipster .327 Fed or 22 Mag.

Why carry a gun in MA that only holds 5-6 and you gotta fumble with a cylinder speedloader when you can carry the Democrat party decided maximum of 10+1 without reloading? Yeah yeah, you can carry 'pre-bans' but I'd rather not waste time educating a cop about why 'square notch low number marking is OK so I get to have 17+1 just like muh thin blue line'

Why carry a gun in MA that only holds 5-6 and you gotta fumble with a cylinder speedloader when you can carry the Democrat party decided maximum of 10+1 without reloading? Yeah yeah, you can carry 'pre-bans' but I'd rather not waste time educating a cop about why 'square notch low number marking is OK so I get to have 17+1 just like muh thin blue line'
I'd rather carry 5 in a gun designed to hold 5 than carry 10 in a gun designed to hold 17 because I'm afraid of doing something that's perfectly legal. :rolleyes:

I'd rather carry 5 in a gun designed to hold 5 than carry 10 in a gun designed to hold 17 because I'm afraid of doing something that's perfectly legal. :rolleyes:
Why not carry a gun designed to hold 10 that's the size of the same one as something that holds 5? I carry a P30SK cause I'm fat and the Glock 17 presses against my rolls too much lol. The potential dumb cop and 'high cap' mag drama is secondary.

Why not carry a gun designed to hold 10 that's the size of the same one as something that holds 5? I carry a P30SK cause I'm fat and the Glock 17 presses against my rolls too much lol. The potential dumb cop and 'high cap' mag drama is secondary.
P30SK is bigger and much heavier than my LCR. Also I had a P2000SK and that thing sucked.

I dunno. Maybe because you're not classy?;)

Revolvers are comforting, to a lot of us. We're confident with them, and we don't feel undergunned. If you don't feel the same way, that's fine, but capacity is only one of several criteria some of us use when deciding on a carry piece.

You'll notice, too, that a number of posters here either rotate several different kinds of firearms (not all of which are necessarily 5-shot revolvers) as appropriate for the venue or the wardrobe, OR they carry snubby revolvers as a backup to something you might approve of more.

Five rounds of .357 magnum is plenty. You can probably take out at least 7 or 8 bad guys if you get them to line up just right, and guaranteed everyone else will be going home with a free high pitch tinnitus souvenir.

Malfunctions could be an issue as well. Tap-rack-bang and still no bang means drop the mag and get a new one in.
This is the only reason I carry a spare mag when carrying a semi-auto. Given where I go and what I do, the chances of me getting into a defensive shooting situation is practically nil (but not zero, which is why I carry) and the odds of me needing more than six rounds if I do is even lower. However, the most common malfunction in a semi is a magazine problem and, as @headednorth said, being able to drop the mag and insert a new one is invaluable since you’ll often experience a mag problem right after you fire the first round that’s already in the chamber. I may not think I’ll need more than six, but I’m pretty sure I’ll need more than one.

The only time I think I might need more rounds is at home as a result of a home invasion. In that case I have my Tavor X95 with 30 round pre-bans.

I dunno. Maybe because you're not classy?;)

Revolvers are comforting, to a lot of us. We're confident with them, and we don't feel undergunned. If you don't feel the same way, that's fine, but capacity is only one of several criteria some of us use when deciding on a carry piece.

You'll notice, too, that a number of posters here either rotate several different kinds of firearms (not all of which are necessarily 5-shot revolvers) as appropriate for the venue or the wardrobe, OR they carry snubby revolvers as a backup to something you might approve of more.
No need to get triggered or go straight to the ad hominem route on my supposed 'class' lol. I own revolvers too, they're beautiful and enjoy sleeping for all eternity in my safe. I never claimed my philosophy of carry was the absolute correct one. I'm not a particularly good shot, probably less accurate under stress as the lot of you guys here so I need twice the help. Then again, most DGUs end in 3 shots fired or less, right?

No need to get triggered or go straight to the ad hominem route on my supposed 'class' lol. I own revolvers too, they're beautiful and enjoy sleeping for all eternity in my safe. I never claimed my philosophy of carry was the absolute correct one. I'm not a particularly good shot, probably less accurate under stress as the lot of you guys here so I need twice the help. Then again, most DGUs end in 3 shots fired or less, right?

Lol. The winky emoji means it's gentle teasing.

Again, diff'rent strokes. It's like when bass players debate whether it's best to use fingers or a pick; the correct answer is "whatever the song needs." I look at carry pieces the same way: you evaluate the outfit, the surroundings, the worst-case threat, and you choose whatever is best for the situation.

Capacity is one consideration among several.

None of my revolvers have the Hillary Hole. I bought a used 351C a few years ago from someone I knew. A couple of years after I bought it, shell casings started sticking in the cylinders after firing them. I sent it back to S&W for repair and they determined that it was unrepairable so they told me that they were sending a replacement. I asked for a no hole version to replace the one with the hole and they said okay, but that I'd have to wait a few weeks until they made another batch.

I did, they did, and now I have the no hole version. Apparently, you have to ask, but if you do, they'll send it to you.

On the Deep Cover, how deep does that Hillary Hole go?

View attachment 561134

None of my revolvers have the Hillary Hole. I bought a used 351C a few years ago from someone I knew. A couple of years after I bought it, shell casings started sticking in the cylinders after firing them. I sent it back to S&W for repair and they determined that it was unrepairable so they told me that they were sending a replacement. I asked for a no hole version to replace the one with the hole and they said okay, but that I'd have to wait a few weeks until they made another batch.

I did, they did, and now I have the no hole version. Apparently, you have to ask, but if you do, they'll send it to you.

There are also people that make plugs for the shit lock revolvers. Apparently you can just take the lock out and put a plug in place. If I bought a newer S&W with a lock in it id fire it a few boxes to make sure no infant mortality problems, then id get a plug put in the thing. [rofl] I don;t really know why smith keeps that thing. Probably because of CA compliance bullshit but theres no reason they can't eradicate it for the most part. Ironically they actually did in 640 Pro and 642 and 442s, at least some of them.

There is at least one guy over at the Smith & Wesson forum that makes a kit to delete the lock and plug the hole. It's not a hard install from what I've seen, but it's easier to get a gun without it in the first place.

There are also people that make plugs for the shit lock revolvers. Apparently you can just take the lock out and put a plug in place. If I bought a newer S&W with a lock in it id fire it a few boxes to make sure no infant mortality problems, then id get a plug put in the thing. [rofl] I don;t really know why smith keeps that thing. Probably because of CA compliance bullshit but theres no reason they can't eradicate it for the most part. Ironically they actually did in 640 Pro and 642 and 442s, at least some of them.

Back
Top Bottom