Kalashnikov Buy

It's worth spending the few extra $$ and getting the arsenal. You won't regret it.

Or go nuts and go krebbs.

Either one of these and you've got a serious winner.

so here's something for all of you "AK Hunters" to chew on:

My friends who live in free states give me calls when they run into a AK in a gun shop. Yesterday my brother called about 2 chinese and 1 egyptian. He was intrigued by their "3rd pin" reinforcement dimples- a sign that they are the real deal receivers made in Egypt or China. So he got excited about them possibly being pre-922r, or 1989.

All three ended up being "post AWB" rifles- imported rifles with thumbhole stocks, bayonet lugs ground down, and threads missing on their barrels.

Those are rifles that were sold during the AWB. You know, the one that we all still live under.

All were priced at $450.

LOL at the edit. :)

The Arsenals I see on gunbroker are like 7-800 bucks, more than I would probably be willing to pay for an AK. If I somehow had a way to buy a legit Soviet AK that came out of a stockpile in the Ukrane or something, that would be a different story. Besides that, though, I think the prices you see Saigas or WASRs for in MA are what I'm looking to spend on a rifle like this. More than that and there are better options.

In other states you'll get the WASR's even cheaper. I can't even believe what my buddy in MI paid.

and what I'm getting at here is this:

if you want a good AK that is AWB compliant, stop searching in massachusetts. I've seen mac90's go for $850 at four seasons. I've seen people walk out the GD door after dropping that on a neutered AK.

STOP IT.

You guys are only limited by your laziness. You are not a slave to this state. Stop chucking your money at gun shops that get these things and mark them up 2X. No one else in the country wants these AWB import neutered rifles: AK enthusiasts scoff at their wrecked appearance, rednecks and Fudds think they are chinese/commie garbage, and new AK owners want something new.

Get off your ass and suck up a $30 transfer fee. It'll save you a few hundred off the bat. And you'll get your "good AK."

so here's something for all of you "AK Hunters" to chew on:

iswydt.jpg

The Arsenals I see on gunbroker are like 7-800 bucks, more than I would probably be willing to pay for an AK. If I somehow had a way to buy a legit Soviet AK that came out of a stockpile in the Ukrane or something, that would be a different story.

That will never happen. 922(r) and the russian voluntary arms agreement won't let you do that right now. The best you can do is build a clone out of a parts kit.

Besides that, though, I think the prices you see Saigas or WASRs for in MA are what I'm looking to spend on a rifle like this. More than that and there are better options.
In other states you'll get the WASR's even cheaper. I can't even believe what my buddy in MI paid.
you, too, can pay beans for them. You just have to do the leg work. I won't tell you who to call, but I'll tell you that you can get rifles taken to shops in NH and MA that will neuter them. Call around. Get quotes. Search for AWB compliant rifles out there in the free world. Etc. etc.

and yeah, you guys caught me on the edit. I must be PMSing or I'm growing tired of the internet lately.

if you want a good AK that is AWB compliant, stop searching in massachusetts. I've seen mac90's go for $850 at four seasons. I've seen people walk out the GD door after dropping that on a neutered AK.

STOP IT.

You guys are only limited by your laziness. You are not a slave to this state. Stop chucking your money at gun shops that get these things and mark them up 2X.

FWIW it's not always the shops, it's usually consignment sellers.

Prices are still "sticky" from the obama scare. When the POS WASRs were going for $500 suddenly everyone figured out that some knuckleheads would suck for a $700 or $800 MAK-90 and they were right. [laugh]

Pre Obama scare, you could pick up a MAK-90 in MA for $500 or less. Hell, there was one listed on here not long ago that was in that price range.

-Mike

Another reason why prices are fuxorented in MA..... there aren't that many new "ban config" rifles in MA unless you roll your own from a saiga or something, or get a free state rifle and neuter it before taking it into MA. It's pretty much the WASR and thats it. On the other hand you go into free america and there are like 4 different makers/importers/brands of "new" AK type rifles.

-Mike

The Arsenals I see on gunbroker are like 7-800 bucks, more than I would probably be willing to pay for an AK. If I somehow had a way to buy a legit Soviet AK that came out of a stockpile in the Ukrane or something, that would be a different story. Besides that, though, I think the prices you see Saigas or WASRs for in MA are what I'm looking to spend on a rifle like this. More than that and there are better options.

For what you'll get a wasr for, honestly the extra few hundred is going to save you a bit of headache. You're going to go from minute of mattress to minute of man. The arsenals are ACCURATE. No, not target grade, but battle rifle grade. Out of an AK platform, you can't ask for more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the wasr, I have them, they are beaters and they won't die, but the arsenal offers that and practical accuracy. Something to think about, save a few more bucks and get a serious piece of hardware.

Or go krebbs, the holy grail of AK's....ahhh krebs....justifying a 1900 dollar AK is tough....but jesus they are nice looking.

Krebs Custom $2200
SpeedLoad.jpg

Transfer $30

Having a krebs custom Effin priceless

Last edited:

STOP IT.

You guys are only limited by your laziness. You are not a slave to this state. Stop chucking your money at gun shops that get these things and mark them up 2X. No one else in the country wants these AWB import neutered rifles: AK enthusiasts scoff at their wrecked appearance, rednecks and Fudds think they are chinese/commie garbage, and new AK owners want something new.

Get off your ass and suck up a $30 transfer fee. It'll save you a few hundred off the bat. And you'll get your "good AK."

Ya, I don't know about everyone else here but I am a research guy. I'm rarely afraid to ask the dumb questions if I can't find it by searching, but I usually try not to buy anything until I've figured it out. I've already been talking to some people I know off the board about prices on Saigas and etc. I won't pay 850 for a MAK90, people are retarded. I look at the free state prices and then take into consideration the costs of neutering and bringing it into MA, and importing one is definitely an option.

For what you'll get a wasr for, honestly the extra few hundred is going to save you a bit of headache. You're going to go from minute of mattress to minute of man. The arsenals are ACCURATE. No, not target grade, but battle rifle grade. Out of an AK platform, you can't ask for more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the wasr, I have them, they are beaters and they won't die, but the arsenal offers that and practical accuracy. Something to think about, save a few more bucks and get a serious piece of hardware.

Or go krebbs, the holy grail of AK's....ahhh krebs....justifying a 1900 dollar AK is tough....but jesus they are nice looking.

Krebs Custom $2200
SpeedLoad.jpg

Transfer $30

Having a krebs custom Effin priceless

Thing is sexy but I just couldn't pay that much for an AK. It's anathema to the whole spirit of the AK47! lol

No but seriously i think there are better rifles that I'd want more for that kind of money...more accurate rifles just right off the bat. I like the AK, but not enough to drop a ton of cash on one. I think there's a middle ground between the WASR and the Krebs.

Some of the WASRs are actually fairly accurate, for an AK. They just feel like pieces of s**t. The actions often feel like dragging a non-wheeled dumpster over a bed of gravel, especially when the gun is "new".

-Mike

I think the wasr are really good guns. They are what they are supposed to be. Cheap, reliable and accurate enough. The only complaint that I have heard about them is that out of the box, there are a lot of canted or misaligned front site posts.
Easily fixed.

SpeedLoad.jpg

I don't see the appeal on this. For almost 2k, do you get a sub moa AK and a bolt hold open?

you get a moa rifle with a hold open, and the most robust design in history....and you get to say you own a krebs which makes you > than all that don't have a krebs. Krebs is to AK's as platinum is to precious metals.

you get a moa rifle with a hold open, and the most robust design in history....and you get to say you own a krebs which makes you > than all that don't have a krebs. Krebs is to AK's as platinum is to precious metals.

Still not seeing it.. The tighter and more accurate you make any gun the less reliable it becomes under all conditions.

Looking at that, aside for being able to use AK mags, what do you gain by just not buying a 7.62*39 AR platform? And with the AR, you have the added benefit of not having to remove your rear sites if you need to open up the gun to pull filth or a shell case out of the receiver.

and you get to say you own a krebs which makes you > than all that don't have a krebs. Krebs is to AK's as platinum is to precious metals.

no, Kreb's is not a precious metal to AK's. It's a good gas gun, but it is not how a AK should be judged, IMO. AKs were not designed to be sniper rifles.

This is more along the lines of what is good in my humble opinion. Russian Izzy AKM clone with fake 3rd pin (only thing I don't agree with... lame). Replica receiver. PLO parts kit. Russian issue flash hider with night optic. Izzy ribbed mag.

NSP_3_2b.jpg

now, if you want an accurate AK, I think you'd be better off running a Yugo AK with a non-chromed barrel. That will do far more for you accuracy wise than what Kreb's Customs can do for a chrome lined barrel AK.

Last edited:
Still not seeing it.. The tighter and more accurate you make any gun the less reliable it becomes under all conditions. .

Agree.

I'm not sure why one would want a tight tolerance high dollar AK. Build some tasty custom rifle that's aimed at accuracy from the jump if thats what you want. AK's about ruggedness and economy.

Agree.

I'm not sure why one would want a tight tolerance high dollar AK. Build some tasty custom rifle that's aimed at accuracy from the jump if thats what you want. AK's about ruggedness and economy.

There is no such thing as a tight tolerance AK. The nature of the beast doesn't allow for it. It's engineered to float a little bit. The best you can get is one that operates smoother and
has marginally better accuracy.

That said, I own an expensive AK and I can't see the point in dumping 2K into one, either. My arsenal cost like $650 at the time and it was worth every penny... but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $1500 for the same thing.

-Mike

now, if you want an accurate AK, I think you'd be better off running a Yugo AK with a non-chromed barrel. That will do far more for you accuracy wise than what Kreb's Customs can do for a chrome lined barrel AK.

or even better.. An Galil or a Valmet.. I have it from a reliable source the Finns and Izzys LAUGH At $2000 krebs..

I'll still take an SLR-107 over most. That gun is dead nuts reliable and fairly accurate.

The krebs is a showpiece. Nothing more. "I have a krebs" is basically what you can say.

If it came down to it, I'd trust the arsenal more.

Now what was written above with the galil....yes. Galil is a beast.

Crooked front sight, poor build quality and all, in an emergency I would grab the the $400 Romanian AK before almost anything else I own, and all day long and twice on Sunday before my AR!

Maybe I'll just buy a WASR.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but Yugo M70's are good rifles. Was my first AK variant and I couldn't kill the thing. Not much more $ then a wasr and its built on a better receiver. Plus you get the cool grenade sight [smile]

ETA: Don't forget about a VZ-58. Not an "AK" but its a Hell of a rifle.

sa58vmaly.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom