Kittery Trading Post

I was at Kittery yesterday (the GF wanted to look for shoes... I wanted to look for gun stuff [smile]).

Normally I'll go there at least once or twice a year, and each time I go the experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I only wanted to pick-up some reloading supplies and other assorted gun gear and I try to have as little interaction with the sales staff as possible.

There was one gentleman at the far corner of the store (where they keep all the high end shotguns), and he was inquiring the salesman about purchasing a very expensive shotgun.

I didn't linger long enough to catch the entire conversation, but I was there long enough to realize that the salesman was being a bit rude and annoyed... like he didn't want to be bothered (for the record... the customer didn't appear to be a 'tire kicker' type).

I'm pretty much finished with the place and will most likely avoid it in any future road trips to Kittery.

Last edited:
I was at Kittery yesterday (the GF wanted to look for shoes... I wanted to look for gun stuff [smile]).

Normally I'll go there at least once or twice a year, and each time I go the experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I only wanted to pick-up some reloading supplies and other assorted gun gear and I try to have as little interaction with the sales staff as possible.

There was one gentleman at the far corner of the store (where they keep all the high end shotguns), and he was inquiring the salesman about purchasing a very expensive shotgun.

I didn't linger long enough to catch the entire conversation, but I was there long enough to realize that the salesman was being a bit rude and annoyed... like he didn't want to be bothered (for the record... the customer didn't appear to be a 'tire kicker' type).

I'm pretty much finished with the place and will most likely avoid it in any future road trips to Kittery.

Damn straight.

You know I have worked retail long enough, that if you guys don't complain about the lousy service, etc, nothing will get done about it, because THEY DON'T KNOW!
If you want to make a difference than do something about other than complaining about it.[wink]

You know I have worked retail long enough, that if you guys don't complain about the lousy service, etc, nothing will get done about it, because THEY DON'T KNOW!
If you want to make a difference than do something about other than complaining about it.[wink]

You misunderstand my rant completely.

I AM making a difference by spreading the word about the poor experiences I've had at KTP. I do NOT want to fix the problem, as it is irrepairable. Attempting to inform "management" for the purposes of correcting behavior there would be tantamount to bailing out the Pacific Ocean with a dixie cup; filling in the Grand Canyon with a child's sand shovel.

If it was a place where good service was the norm, and I had a singular issue with one or two employees, I most certainly would have mentioned it to upper level management (as I have done many times before). This is clearly not the case here.

Oh, and believe me, they know exactly how they treat their customers.

If it was a place where good service was the norm, and I had a singular issue with one or two employees, I most certainly would have mentioned it to upper level management (as I have done many times before). This is clearly not the case here.

Oh, and believe me, they know exactly how they treat their customers.

Well, I've been a customer there for 15+ years and can only recall one instance of poor service. I'm usually there at least once a month. Just never experinced all this negative service. Having worked retail for many years prior to my current job, I can say that the manner in which the customer acts is often reciprocated back to them. While I hate to say it, there is a certain animosity towards MA folks up here - many times with good reason. Many I had to deal with (summer tourists) seemed to expect priority service above and beyond anyone else's treatment. Treat ppl as you wish to be treated and not as a servant.

While I hate to say it, there is a certain animosity towards MA folks up here - many times with good reason.

There is NEVER a "good" reason for a store clerk/salesperson to harbor animosity towards a customer simply because he or she is from out of state. That coupled with the fact that they are dead wrong about a number of suppositions they make regarding Mass. laws makes this place a washout for me. I buy a fair amount of expensive firearms on a regular basis, and in general am a high(er) end client in most of the things that I enjoy.

I will not be disrespected by anyone, let alone some yahoo that thinks he can talk down to me simply because I live in Mass.

So what you are looking to do is have one of the largest dealers in the area close down? Or get out of the gun business. Looks that way as you have no interest in having the problem corrected. Once the larger dealers shut down, how difficult will it be to put the small ones out of business? A few frivilious law suits and they are gone..............

each time I go the experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

but after consistent bad customer service and combative attitudes...But each time I stop in, I realize more and more that this place is the living embodiment of that old addage: "Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink", and that the pricing on new guns was quite a bit higher than a comparable Mass shop (on available models).

I say this due to the wealth of misinformation and uninformed staff that populate this place.

Just how many times does it take to stop going someplace you feel this way about. If it's really that bad for you, stop going! How many times does it take to not go back to a place that you don't like the service? Once, twice, forty-six times?

I'll be stopping in again this weekend and I'm sure I'll recieve the same very good servcie I've always gotten. Why? Maybe because I treat the clerks with respect and courtesy. Or maybe it's just...me. ;)

Though I haven't purchased any firearms at the KTP, I have had some good experiences there. A couple months ago my brother and I hovered at the high end shotgun counter for awhile when the guy behind the counter asked us if we wanted to see something really nice.

He pulled out a $35k Purdey side by side and encouraged us to handle it to get the feel for a proper English bird gun. As I handled the gun I told him that if I were ever in the position to afford a Purdey, I don't think I could take it out into the woods.

He said "We drive 20 and 30 thousand dollar vehicles all the time without even thinking about. This gun is meant to be hunted with."

We laughed about it and continued to drool over this amazing shotgun. He told us to handle it as long as we wanted to.

Needless to say, I was impressed with his knowledge, openness and friendliness. I learned quite a bit from this guy who was clearly an old hand at New England "pa'tridge' hunting.

We looked at several nice rifles as well with nary a hitch.

All and all, a great experience. I'm still trying to get over the $75 dollar 20 ga. single shot Pardner that I saw on one of the many used racks. What a sweet little bird gun! Complete with a transfer bar safety and color case reciever. I might just have to go back when I get my LTC and bring that one home!

It sure was busy when we went, and there was some extremely poor muzzle control in general. That did make me nervous, and I carefully checked the action of every gun I handled. Not sure what could be done about that, but it was disconcerting.

Most every time I am in there, it is packed to the gills with tourists who have absolutely no intention of buying a firearm. They have the whole family with them (kids running around screaming) and just want to see all the cool things they can't buy back home.
If a salesperson emits an audible sigh when an obvious outa-stater wants to handle the new Sig pistol, I can sypathise with them.

That being said, I am sure there are many, many long guns sold out of there to people from other states. The problem for the sales staff is probably seperating out the tire-kickers who want to coon-finger everything from the legitimate firearms buyers.

I've never bought a firearm there, but when finally getting a saleperson to help me, they have always been polite.

KTP Customer Service

After several purchases over the years at KTP, This time I had a problem with a Winchester 20 ga. The price tag had a piece of broken plastic in it and during the purchase process, I was assured that it was not from this gun. Well, it turned out it was from this gun. The piece is hard to find and the install is complicated. Contacting the manager of the KTP Gun Dept, I was urged to drive up there and get it squared away. (I'm on Cape Cod) The guy turned out to be awesome and not only refunded the Winchester, but gave me a major killer deal on a mint Remington 1170. This was to be my 11 year old son's first shotgun.

Both my son and I will be lifetime customers. We also like Four Seasons and M&M. KTP does have a lot of tire kickers, but their selection is probably the best in the Northeast and they stand behind what they sell.

Curtis

Last edited:
I'm one of the out of staters though I only bought one gun there and usually do a trip a year.

Several yeas ago I took my wife for a weekend there to get her a new Ruger shotgun for trap. Several salesmen helped us in the racks. Talk shifted to some used ones they had too and one guy talked to her and sampled, shouldered three used models at the counter. She narrowed it down on gun at a time and we bought a used Beretta for as much or more than I would have paid for the new Ruger. No complaints on our part.

But we go every year usally on the day after a Loudon Nascar race and just buy supplies. We tire-kick on guns and also buy some fishing supplies.

She likes the service and being able to look at and touch hundreds of guns with or without a salesman helping directly.

Dana

KTP

KTP has a liberal return policy even if the firearm functions perfectly but you decide you don't like it. That's is a big draw for their used gun sales.

But we go every year usally on the day after a Loudon Nascar race and just buy supplies. We tire-kick on guns and also buy some fishing supplies.
You weren't by chance sitting in secition u over in the exit of turn four wearing the KTP shirt were you? Just wondering...I was just across the steps and a row or two up.

You weren't by chance sitting in secition u over in the exit of turn four wearing the KTP shirt were you? Just wondering...I was just across the steps and a row or two up.

link.derailed.jpg

[wink]

Well after my less than favourable evaluation a month ago I need to add this update. We stopped in while on vacation, 15 September. I was interested in a particular handgun as well as rifle. The store in general was quite busy at the time and although it was dificult to find a employee to assist our party we eventually were able to. From this point the service was excellent and we all were well taken care of. A very successful gun buying experience.

Was there this yesterday. I was at the display cases for 2 -3 minutes before being asked if I needed assistance. Within 5 or 6 minutes, I was paying for my new revolver and on my way. Was my fastest transaction there yet. The same clerk also was more than happy to show me two other models in the display case. I'll keep going there.

I stopped by a week ago and picked up an RCBS case trimer and some H335 powder. The employees that cover the reloading/ammo section are always very helpful... but sometimes in scarce supply.

Another trip to KTP to get a few more goodies for my Dillon. Ended up picking up a scope and mount for my AR also - just a plinker scope nothing special. Again very pleased with the whole experience.

I ended up there today because my wife wanted to go to the outlet malls. It was pretty crowded and I wandered around looking at various new and used long guns and other stuff. I also tried to eavesdrop on the help as they talked to potential customers. One guy was patiently, and correctly from what I heard, explaining the MA AG's list to a couple looking at revolvers. Other guys were engaged in various transactions with customers. Nary a harsh word, rolled eye, or annoyed expression to be seen or heard.

I ended up not buying anything because there was nothing I was that interested in and I plan to go to W. Springfield next weekend anyway. The only thing I saw of any interest was a fairly beat up looking SMLE No 1 MkIII and it was tagged at $275.0.

Ammunition was also fairly high.

Still a nice place to stop in and visit while the wife shops.

Gary

Their loaded ammo prices are pretty high, but their component prices are very fair and you always want to check the odd-lot ammo/magazine/holster sections. I've gotten some real steals from those sections (speedloaders for $1, ammo for ~10c a round, holsters for $2-3.) Also got some 8 round 1911 mags, good ones, one was an original colt, for $10 apiece, brand new.

I picked up a Finn M91 for $275 (new condition, just minor handling marks) and a very nicely refinished to like new condition No.4 Mk I/II for $175.

Blkhawk 73, sorry, I just read the Sep reply where you asked about seating location at Loudon.

We had seats in K South at the end of the grandstands. No KTP shirt, usually have some NRA-related stuff on.

Dana

I've been a customer of KTP for a couple of years, and have received generally good service. Often, the counter help just wants to talk guns, and I've been able to handle as many as I like, for as long as I like, which is nice. Then again, I tend to go in there on weeknights when it's not very crowded.

Weekends, I mostly don't bother as it's so packed you'd wait forever for counter help. Gun prices are not great, but not outrageous, and you can find some deals on the used stuff.

I bet they're sweating the Cabelas that's opening up in Scarborough though. (40 minutes away) Wonder if their prices will drop in competition.

I bet they're sweating the Cabelas that's opening up in Scarborough though. (40 minutes away) Wonder if their prices will drop in competition.

I don't see them hurting KTP that much. Initially ppl will go to Cabela's as it's new. I don't see ppl driving that extra 40 minutes (especially with gas prices rising) and doubt the prices will be that differnt to warrant the 40 minutes. Especially with their firearms, Cabelas isusually quite high on thier used guns and those I've looked at , their new firearms aren't priced to great either. I'm sure they'll have an initial sale to showcase their wares but when it settles down, they'll be the same. One for southern ME and NH folks and the other for us up a bit farther.

If Cabelas prices are the same as they are at their other stores neither Rileys nor KTP have a care in the world. They are very high on used inventory with neither ryme nor reason as to how the price is established. Go to their web site and check the gun library section to get an idea of what to expect.

Kittery

I have been there many times and they have a lot of stuff esp guns.They also have a web sight and you can always call ahead to ask about particular items.You can spend hours looking at all the stuff.lol

A few months back they had a 2nd gen G20 with a grip reduction for short money. I thought about have it shipped to my FFL but decided against it. Their selection of new hand guns is insane top notch. Too bad we can't bring them back into Mass. Last week I handled the new Ruger SR9. It felt pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom