• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery Trading Post

joey, time to give up a little of your story, where you from, what your intentions are. KTP is not what it used to be. IF you know what your after and are looking for you can score @ kittery. There selection of "project" guns was not that great last trip up in 2005, yes 2005. I got a great deal on a trade(partly because I think the guy really wanted it) then a great price on a used shotgun with a great case.

As with anything you really have to have a idea of what you want and are looking for. Parts to fix up some guns can cost more than a working gun in some cases. Most local shops have a fixer upper section. looking for practice guns for refinshing there are many if you look and ask.

There is a gun show in marlboro this weekend.......good place to sort out your ideas.

There no story. Im 17 years old and me and my dad a looking for a gunkey wall hanger gun for a winter project. I love anything to do with guns and hunting. Im going up there in a few weeks. I was just wondering if they have alot of guns up there right now. If any nice rifles from the 200 to 400 dollar range. I just like going to a gun shop with more then 5 guns on display. I like to see alot of guns in stock.

joey maybe you should consider going to the 10 or so closet gunshops with your dad. Ask the shop what they have for junkers to practice your refinishing skills on. If you cant find something local like that. Most likely you will not find it @ kittery.
Save you money for your firearms course and your license when you turn 18

HAVE YOUR DAD BRING YOU TO THE GUN SHOW IN MARLBORO

Another consideration is a black powder KIT. You and your dad can assembly and finish the wood to your likes. You will have a functionable fire arm in the end. Your dad can give to you as a gift on your 18th birthday!

I have a older 22 cal smoothbore bolt action that would be good for a refinish. Have your dad PM me if interested. looking for 130.00 for it. Im on the southshore and really cant travel far but if your local I may be able to swing it.

again kittery is a big store but you really need to know what you want and what your looking for.
My Dad calls KTP the dumping ground. Home to all the dont work right, cant hold a grouping and just plain old junk. With the right plan you can score @ KTP. know your prices and your price range.

Last edited:
Thansk for the advise.IM looking for a old crappy miltery gun. Like a crack stock and the barrel is so dirty you cant put a cleaning rode down two inches. I just wont to clean it up and hang up peace. do you think kittery has any.

last time I went to kittery the selection of non working beaters was slim. You do know that even if they dont work you still need fid/ltc.
Again joey where are you located ? MARLBORO GUN SHOW they will have something im sure.
also some of the "old crappy military guns" are called parade guns and can still be costly.

also the hanging of rifles and such in plain sight is not a good idea. Also there is the consideration of the trigger lock ? I really think you maybe better of with some replica's but really its a waste of money.

I think you need to narrow down your search to 3 or 4 types of firearms you are looking for.

If a old crappy military rifle is in your cross hairs why not just purchase a mosin nagant for 125.00ish will work, WILL need cleaning its about what some of the clunkers will cost you any way.

What happened to the SKS?

Last edited:
I cant make it to the gun show this weekend. I live in middleboro. I know about ted at antique armory. Me and my dad bought a ruger m77 from him and a bolt action shotgun. I went to strickland on tuesday and nothing in my price range. Also i just went to antique armory and he had a mauser t38 for 150 with the cosmoline in it is this a good gun and deal. It said it was maid in 1946. Also of topic.My dad wants to transfer 7 guns to me next year when im 18 can he do that. thanks for answer my question.

your dad can tranfer 4 per year or go see a FFL dealer in mass and have them transfered. I would just do the 4 per year until done transfering.
your really not going to find a milsurp for much less than 125.00 150.00 in working condition or not....except a MOSIN NAGANT.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserturkish/index.asp check here, use google alot , check gunbroker.com. Price seems to be in line with gunshop prices. If you like milsurps your DAD has to get his C&R license. google Curious and collectors licence..

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp If your dad gets one NOW he will be able to get the best prices on milsurps. When you become of age and license he can transfer to you and when you get to be 21 get YOUR C&R license

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...2.326062,-72.312012&spn=1.953374,4.663696&z=8

alot of work already done for us THANKS TO weedwhacker. Now Joe start calling and get your dad out to some shops.

put 10 gun names you like in a hat, have some one draw one for you. Then go find it.

Last edited:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserturkish/index.asp check here, use google alot , check gunbroker.com. Price seems to be in line with gunshop prices. If you like milsurps your DAD has to get his C&R license. google Curious and collectors licence..

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp If your dad gets one NOW he will be able to get the best prices on milsurps. When you become of age and license he can transfer to you and when you get to be 21 get YOUR C&R license

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...2.326062,-72.312012&spn=1.953374,4.663696&z=8

alot of work already done for us THANKS TO weedwhacker. Now Joe start calling and get your dad out to some shops.

put 10 gun names you like in a hat, have some one draw one for you. Then go find it.

does my dad have to get his c&r license to buy these kind of guns. I thought you just need and ltc or fid to collect these guns.

How are the used guns at KTP? Im looking to get a winchester model 12 and ktp has about 8 online for reasonable prices. All but 2 of them lack pictures so I dont want to get there and see that they arent that good. Ive heard of barrels being "shot out" etc... I dont have any guns right now and dont know of too many local shops or even if they have any model 12's. I live in central mass but have been wanting to take a trip to KTP for awhile anyways I just wanted to know if anyone has had good luck buying used guns from them.

How are the used guns at KTP? Im looking to get a winchester model 12 and ktp has about 8 online for reasonable prices. All but 2 of them lack pictures so I dont want to get there and see that they arent that good. Ive heard of barrels being "shot out" etc... I dont have any guns right now and dont know of too many local shops or even if they have any model 12's. I live in central mass but have been wanting to take a trip to KTP for awhile anyways I just wanted to know if anyone has had good luck buying used guns from them.

I've bought 2 used guns from them, one of them just yesterday. There are pros and cons to this place. You may wait for an insane amount of time just to get your turn at the gun counters when they are busy which is most of the time. and good luck on the weekends. You may have to wait an equally insane amount of time for the transfers driver to come back from his last trip to NH.

When you do get your turn though most of these guys are great. They will take their time with you (pissing off the rest of the waiting people). There are a couple of guys that are selling guns purely for the love of it.

They have a huge selection and I can say for a fact that not all their guns are listed on the website. There are also duplicates so look at the serial numbers to make sure.

They also sell as many new guns but they are not listed on the website.

My advice is to call the gun department there and ask your question. If you call when its not too busy and you get the right guy I'm sure it will save you a trip.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on going next weekend but I guess I should wait until a weekday that I get out of work early. I know they have what Im looking for there so if I find a nice Model 12 then Ill buy it. I just wanted to make sure that they sell descent guns and not just a bucket of bolts.

my only suggestion
If you have a GPS plot every gun shop on the way. Make a good long day trip out of it. KTP is hit or miss. ALSO if you really like something they have put a hold on it online so it will be there when you get there.

I happen to see a Win Mod. 12 on First Defense web site today for $400.00. It said it is on consingment.
Thought this might be of interest for you. They are in Uxbridge.

Apparently you've been to their website , click on the firearm you are interested in and you can fill out their request section for pictures of that firearm. It's very easy . I've requested pictures and purchased from them many times in the past .

I've bought literally dozens of used guns from them the past couple years. For a bit it was at least one a month. No issues with what they claimed and what I found when I got there. They list a gun on their site 7 days or so after they get it in so there is more than what's on the site. Call, have the gun code # and they'll hold it for you.

FYI, they have many pallet loads of clean 50 cal cans for $10 and clean 40mm dummy round cans (much larger/heavier than 50 cal cans) for $15. They are both in the tent and inside just in front of the gun dept registers.

KTP is a great place. I found a nice used Glock a while back thanks to their used gun website. I gave them a call, got the price lowered and drove there later that day and picked up my pistol which was exactly as they described. I didn't have to wait and getting over to that office they have over the border was quick. All around a very pleasant buying experience.

I got 250 in gift certificates but I am planning on waiting till the spring to use them.
I love KTP.

I am in the same boat as you...Is spring time a good time for deals there?

Honestly you just have to see what they got when you go, christmas is one of the best times because they do some awesome discounts 25% off etc. The reason I am waiting till spring is I know there will be some project or rifle that I have to get and I will just kick myself for yet another impulse purchase because I am bored during the winter.

LOVE KTP! No other shop any place in New England like it. Have a couple Rugers on lay-a-way there now I'm heading down next week to bring home.

its an ok place....again being from Mass cannot buy much ...but find a few nice to have widgets...ammo is pricy...but fun place to wonder around.

Almost anything but handguns . What's not to like about it . Pricey on ammo , most places are . I've bought a crap load from them over the years .

Back
Top Bottom