Kittery Trading Post

WEnt last wekend and it was busy as I'd expected. (riney/windy hunting saturday) Was going to attempt to look through the used long guns but waaay too many yahoos working actions as fast as they could, pulling triggers and waving them around so I just headed for my corner where the used single actions are and where my rifle was being held for me. within 5 minutes I had the gun in my hands and another few mi utes I was putting it on lay-a-way. Aother positive experince with the employees and another show of the idiots that will show on a rianly hunting day.

Hate to say it here, but a fair amount of the vehicles that would fit those upsatirs in the firearms dept qere all wearing MA and CT plates. Heard a lot of "can't bring that back". :) Ain't those Commonweath places great.

I bet they're sweating the Cabelas that's opening up in Scarborough though. (40 minutes away) Wonder if their prices will drop in competition.

Cabellas and KTP are quite different in that KTP is a fine source of new/used guns while Cabellas used guns are way too high.

In the clothing field, KTP is a real dump -- very disappointing, especially recently. Cabellas scores in that regard.

So, you see, they are not direct competitors. If anything, KTP will improve their clothing lines, or just stick to hardware.

I have always found the staff at KTP to be very nice, friendly and accomodating. They always ask me if I would like them to take something out of the case to handle. No matter how many guns you look at they still are ready to take the next one for you. They have always given me a more than fair price on anything I have brought in for a trade.

If you want to just sell something with buyng something else, they still seem to give a fair price and they can give you a store 'bond', basically a plastic gift card with the amount on it. Last year when selling a gun to them, had them break up the amount into three cards and gave them to the wife and kids as Holiday gifts.

The inventory they have is pretty large. All in all, think it is one of the best places around.

Stosh, upstairs in the gun department, the store is First Class. I was complaining about how far downhill their clothing has fallen. It's like night and day.

Regarding the gun store section, Sundays are not the best time to visit.

I was there this morning about 10:30 or so. Business was brisk, but not crowded. I've seen it a lot worse. While my wife shopped for clothes across the street I idly walked around the gun/ammo department. I looked at a bunch of used lever action rifles and since getting one is on my list of weapons to buy AND I have some money set aside I looked carefully.

Peter in the gun department helped me choose between a 100 year old Winchester 1894 and a much newer Marlin 336C. The paperwork was done quickly, and everyone there was very friendly.

A real pleasure to buy there.

KTP is an awesome store, but grossly overpriced. For example, for a new sig p229 they want almost 900. rip off.

I have only ever bought one new firearm from KTP, a Marlin 1894 (1895, I forget the exact model number) .357mag lever rifle. They charged $40 more than Wal-Mart, but they had one in stock, and Wally would have needed to order it.

I recently tried to buy a black powder rifle from KTP. I found that they are ignorant of MA law and refused to ship it to me. Screw them. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

They charged $40 more than Wal-Mart, but they had one in stock, and Wally would have needed to order it.

I'd glady spend the extra $40 at any shop rather than at Walmart. At least the shop cares about you and you're not simply a number. Everyone gets all upset about Walmart dropping guns and such but they'll go there just to save a few bucks rather than help support heir local shop.

I went down again this weekend and got their 20 minutes before they opened (thought it was 9 not 10) and they were busy when the dorrs opened. a LOT were MA plates or other non-resident plates. Seems if the prices are oh so bad, that many ppl wouldn't spend the gas money and time to travel there.
I will say they're either priced very fairly or a bit high on new guns and used is the same way. I have seen some verrrry good deals on used ones. Just gotta be there at the right time before someone else catches thier error in pricing. I've recently missed by minutes a $1200 pkg they had priced at $650. It's all timing at KTP for the great deals.

I'd glady spend the extra $40 at any shop rather than at Walmart. At least the shop cares about you and you're not simply a number. Everyone gets all upset about Walmart dropping guns and such but they'll go there just to save a few bucks rather than help support heir local shop.

A BIG #1

I thought I was in for a loong crowed KTP being the saturday before Christmas. It was busy but I got attended to pretty quickly. Would've been 15 sooner had some suited yuppie talking $$$$ shotguns not kept gabbing. Picked up my newest #1 looked around and found some "used" dies that had zero marks on them for a less than 1/2 of they cost new. All around, another very good in and out purchase/browse at KTP.

Hav been to KTP the past 2 weekends to pick up a gun. One went as qucik as ever as it was a nearly empty place early in the morning. last weekend, it was busy. Also can't figure out why ppl will just jump into a transaction while the clerk is talking and helping one customer to ask "Hey, can I look at that one there?" Bud, if the clerk is busy with someone, wait your turn! Seems more and more it's the customers that are a PITA down there.

Went down there last Friday morning to pick up some powder and primers I had ordered on the phone. Of course, it took a lot longer than I expected. But one of the salesmen said to me, as I was leaving "Glad you came in". I think he had witnessed the undue delay in getting my stuff -- the place was empty. I walked down the stairs a happier customer. No cause to complain. I'm glad they are there. Just wish they were a bit closer.

Went down there last Friday morning to pick up some powder and primers I had ordered on the phone. Of course, it took a lot longer than I expected

The powder and primers are stored in the warehouse at the other end of the place. Someone has to bring up the ordered items so it does take some time. They just leave it at the front cashier area and you can wander around and pick it up whenever you wish.

Returned there for thesecond time in two weekends for the second gun in as much time - another Ruger single action. I'd seen the gun last time and put it on lay-a-way. Turns out it was as I suspected and was a limited run model of about 1000 units. they'd mis-marked the tag and likewise priced it for what they thought it was. the clerk noticed it this time and when I mentioned it's uniqueness to him he metioned it to anther kid i've seen there a bunch. Between them they really wanted to find it in thier Blue Book. They coudn't. I tld them about it and yeah i was smug, told them it's actual value - about 200+ than it was tagged at. Seemed to bother the kid a bit so investigating he went on the computer. They tried and tried to find it. the kid a bit arrogant seemed to be getting upset he couldn't find. Again I told them and again the kid wanted to maybe disprove me or something but I could tell at this point the was a bit upset about the whole thing. The other clerk didn't really care - he was cool. My paperwork came bcack fast and the initial clerk said I was all set. Figured I'd pay and not upset the kid further. Funny this is not the first time I've seen this kid try and be know-it-all and have a pissy attitude. Good bet his attitude will cause further incidents too. I get the feeling it was his screw up. LOL

Well, been a while but another really good deal at KTP. Maybe another miss-pricing by Brandon. ;) Glad there's at least a few decent and a couple good clerks down there.

I wanted to order a new AK47 and transfer it through KTP because they are close by. When I called to find out their procedures, the gentleman explained that company policy refuses to sell any AK47 even though they sell AR15s and other types of "assault weapons." I was stunned and extremely disappointed. I will not purchase a firearm from a company that will not support the 2nd Amendment 100%. Yes, they can choose what they sell or transfer, but I can also choose where I spend my money. This is sad.

KTP is a funny place. My Dad always called it the dumping ground where used,abused and hardly functioning guns where traded in. I personally have got a few great deals @ KTP. The thing is you need to know what you are looking for and the price point you want to pay. I got a Browning Ultra XT trap with a nice americase for 1500.00 neating out anyone locally to me by hundreds with no case. I have also scored some nice hardly used 870s with botched cammo paint jobs or ugly attempts to refinish. My friend scored a great little kimber rifle that someone decided to gun coat a crappy stainless look and did a digital cammo job on the stock. 200.00 in 308 the same rifle he was looking at in another store was 750.00 ??? Their used gun racks are great to look through. Although the last few times I went up it seemed to be the same guns that have not sold in the last 20 years. KTP was a much better place before the big build up of that area.

I bought a winchester 20ga for my 12 year old son at KTP. It looked great until we got back to the Cape and found a problem with a plastic internal part that was hard to find and hard to replace. Got the manager of the gun dept on the phone and he got us into a Nice Remmington LT20 for nearly even up, because he knew how long the drive was.

That's the kind of place I like to do business with.

Went up to KTP this morning, had not been there in a few years, almost forgot how awesome that store is.
Spent a few hours walking around and checking everything out. Pleasant and knowledgeable staff in the firearms area.
I came home with a new Marlin lever action in 357, they even had a williams peep sight in stock for it.
See this months new toys thread for pics.

Attempted KTP this morning but evidently 1/2 of Mass did too. A LOT of people oogling over stuff they probably couldn't bring back anyways. More than happy to push their way past everyone though. It was bad enough I didn't even pick up the lay-a-way I had there. Maybe mid-week stormy nights are the only time worth going there now.

Did see a few interesting models. I left them behind but am doing some price checking on them.

KTP is a cool store. its almost like an old school cabelas or bass pro. i remember going in there years ago as a kid from the suburbs of boston only ever having handled an air rifle just browsing the endless racks of rifles and shotguns and i just grabbed a garand off the shelf thinkin "holy crap i think this is heaven!". i'm surprised theyre still allowed to have all the guns out in the open like that.... but its a good thing. im going to go up there before i go off to PA Gunsmith School in june and see what i can get that barely works, looks like crap and is cheap! After all for the course i need 12 barely functional, crapped out guns to work on. How is their selection of ammo these days? im guessing .308, 9mm and .223 are the real scarce rounds right now....

does kittery have any real cheap guns for sale. to clean up and fix up over the winter. Do they have any rifles in the 150 to 300 dollar range. thanks. Imjust looking for a winter project.

does kittery have any real cheap guns for sale. to clean up and fix up over the winter. Do they have any rifles in the 150 to 300 dollar range. thanks. Imjust looking for a winter project.
You know they have a website right? ktpguns.com - you can't search by price but you can by caliber, action and manufacturer

Back
Top Bottom