Liberty Safe Confirms They Gave Feds Access Code to Gun Safe During Raid on January 6 Protester

What do you think?
Ok, object, object, object.

They'll just pry open the safe.

At least if I don't comply - that would be better for me, right???

Interesting that if you object, they can only search that they are looking for.

If you cooperate - they'll get to look through everything!

In that case, if I don't even open the door - will they break it down?

If they destroy my door, would I not be in worse shape because I'd have to get it fixed?

You are making an assumption without supporting it.

There are several possibilities for safes with electronic locks:

1) The manufacturer sets a default code for a range of serial numbers and maintains that mapping in their files.

2) The manufacturer sets a unique code for each safe and maintains that info on their files.

3) the manufacturer sets a default code but also has an undisclosed master code that works on either all safes or a range of serial numbers.

People keep claiming that 3) is true, but without providing any evidence.

For safes with mechanical locks, manufacturers set a unique combination for each safe and they provide that in written form to the owner. I assume that they keep that in their records.
There is no assumption made call most of the safe manufacturers and give them your serial number and you're getting a code that will open the safe...... although in some cases you may be required to fill out paperwork.

I never made the claim that three was the default

Even in the case where there is a master code it's either something changeable or it's randomized across the units via some kind of hash

This is issue is not rocket science it's no different than getting Dell to give you a master password to unlock a BIOS with a forgotten password the unlock password is unique for each machine.

So, if they have a warrant to search your safe...

They say they'll bust it open if you don't open it for them.

You object to the search.

If they are going to break it open anyway - can you just open it for them to avoid damages to your safe?

Or, is opening it for them implying consent?
Dude, if the gov shows up with a warrant, the safe is going to be the least of your costs. You have much bigger things to worry about.

So let them break it. Instead of thinking about the stupid safe, you should be dialing a lawyer before they lock you up and make it a pain for you to call someone.

Or, is opening it for them implying consent?

That’s a question for the attorneys (it’s a good question).
At least if I don't comply - that would be better for me, right???

Depends on if non-compliance becomes resisting. In general, you want to give them nothing.

Interesting that if you object, they can only search that they are looking for.

If you cooperate - they'll get to look through everything!

There’s a difference between cooperation and consent. If you consent you give up a whole lot of constitutional protections & probable cause goes out the window.

In that case, if I don't even open the door - will they break it down?

If they destroy my door, would I not be in worse shape because I'd have to get it fixed?

Again, good questions. “Can we come in?” “No”. “We have a search warrant” “I’d like my lawyer to be present”.

I wouldn’t physically prevent them if they have a warrant but I wouldn’t consent either. I would not open my safe without a lawyer present. If they force your safe open you’re likely to have far more problems than replacing a safe.

Side question:

If they want to search your car, and have a warrant (or exigent circumstances or whatever) and they're going to do it, are you giving implicit consent if you unlock it rather than let them smash it?

How about if it's your house? Are you implicitly giving consent if you open the door and let them in rather than making them smash the door down?

How are these situations different than a safe?

They raided his house for a misdemeanor offense?
"Hughes is charged with misdemeanor offenses of entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, and impeding passage through the Capitol grounds or buildings."

Comments -

Enjoy bankruptcy, traitors
— Jack Poso
🇺🇸
(@JackPosobiec) September 6, 2023

Maybe change your name to “Tyranny Safes”
It fits you better.
— Brick Suit (@Brick_Suit) September 6, 2023

You have failed. There should be no back door to a safe. Welcome to bud light.
— AlphaFo𝕏 (@Alphafox78) September 6, 2023

Bankruptcy coming – enjoy.
— Catturd ™ (@catturd2) September 6, 2023

Thanks, I have three large Liberty Safes in the market fir a 4th. Now I know to replace them immediately because you guys suck.
Sincerely
A former customer
— 9mmSMG (@9mm_smg) September 6, 2023

I just ordered a $7000 liberty safe on Saturday. A Lincoln 50 with all the fixings. I am making a call tomorrow to cancel.
— TheQuartering (@TheQuartering) September 6, 2023

You put the “lib” in liberty
— E (@ElijahSchaffer) September 6, 2023

Well screw you guys too!
— Luke Rudkowski (@Lukewearechange) September 6, 2023

And you call yourself “Liberty”?? Bout to get the Bud Light treatment
— Hodgetwins (@hodgetwins) September 6, 2023

You guys are about to become really familiar with Bud Light pic.twitter.com/jCayJuk32t
— Chaya Raichik (@ChayaRaichik10) September 6, 2023

Liberty Safe's new ad campaign
😂
pic.twitter.com/hK2YC8zzcH
— ✪ Evil Texan ✪ (@vileTexan) September 6, 2023

They were like $5 each at a gun show and I thought what the heck.....
Some missing stuff:

- This safe and contents are the property of ..... and no other person has authorization to grant permission to enter
- Any power of attorney held by another party does not authorize entry or granting permission to enter safe
- Opening the container at the command of a police officer or LE agent shall not be considered consensual, or the basis for a consent search
- Dated with your name and signature

This makes your intent MUCH clearer than a gun show signature, and provides a degree of protection against "it was a consent search since you spouse opened the safe voluntarily when we asked...."

You cannot stop them from entering your safe. You can stop them from being able to successfully claim it was a consent search. Do so properly, and politely, and they probably won't even try to allege consent.

That's technically correct although apple can get into locked phones using other methods. Locked phones aren't locked when you can patch software to change the OS's behavior regarding how locked stuff is supposed to work.

The old "patch it out of existence" trick.
It is if proper encryption technique is used to store the data and neither the phone or any service provider the phone is connected to has a copy of the password.

A few safes I've seen had the combo written in the paperwork, you can change the combo, but the original code will still always work
Huh?

Not true for mechanical safes.

True for electronic licks in two circumstaces:
- The lock supports multiple combinations and you don't change/clear them all
- The lock has a non-changeable master code (which will NOT be the combo they give you to open the lock)

I read conflicting things.
Can anyone confirm it was a warrant or just a request?
EDIT: Nevermind, their speech says it was a warrant
[banghead]

Why do people keep f***ing this up.

The warrant was for an individual.

Liberty is an uninterested third party. Could be Bob the homeless guy on the corner with a rolodex of codes for all that it matters.

Opening the safe is between the individual and the people executing the warrant. If the owner says f*** it, than LE is going to drill out the locks or cut the safe open. Oh well.

With the publicly available information thus far, there was absolutely nothing compelling Liberty to hand out their back door.

Again, with the publicly available information, Liberty(or Bob the homeless guy) handed out the code with no legally compelling reason.

Now, if due process happened and Liberty was subpoenaed for the code, this whole conversation would be moot.

Bad move by the company. The optics are just horrible. And they alienated their entire customer base. Complying with the government's request, whether legal or not, when the bulk of your customers admire the constitution and distrust the government is just bad business. I wouldn't care if they had a subpoena. I would have told them to pound sand. Even better if they would arrest me for not complying. I would have recorded the whole incident and used it as my promotion for Liberty Safes on every platform available if I owned that company. Sales would have quadrupled. Instead, they will lose over half of their revenues. Morons

Huh?

Not true for mechanical safes.

True for electronic licks in two circumstaces:
- The lock supports multiple combinations and you don't change/clear them all
- The lock has a non-changeable master code (which will NOT be the combo they give you to open the lock)
It's electronic, the code they give you cannot be cleared, however you can add your own combination, but the original code is still valid, so 2 codes will now open the same lock.
No bullshit, it's fact, and it's a good quality safe

Everyone will buy them to save $50. Most gun owners skinflint hard.

Their excuse will be "it is cheap", "I will keep the guns I don't care about in that safe", "I will only store ammo in that one" ... or some other lame excuse.
Fudds wont even be paying attention to this.

Although I can tell you right now the mega chineseium safe vendors are basically rubbing one out over this....

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/pN16SxrQdso?si=Nd-4RIAd88E1X292

Everyone will buy them to save $50. Most gun owners skinflint hard.

Their excuse will be "it is cheap", "I will keep the guns I don't care about in that safe", "I will only store ammo in that one" ... or some other lame excuse.
Has it been answered if the locks are replaceable with better locks?

I'm sensing $250 off. Gun guys will tattoo liberty on their body for that

Back
Top Bottom