Liberty Safe Confirms They Gave Feds Access Code to Gun Safe During Raid on January 6 Protester

Well that’s very IPhone and Microsoft of them. Now they are part of companies who provide security data to any govt branch that asks.

A few safes I've seen had the combo written in the paperwork, you can change the combo, but the original code will still always work

Wow that's awesome. So that means Liberty Safe has the combination for every safe they've ever made in a database somewhere. So if a hacker would a compromise their database, using an attack like SQL injection against their web apps, they could dump the entire database and have every combination everywhere in the world for every safe they ever made. That's super comforting. Way to go Liberty.

You cannot have stolen from you what you do not have to be stolen. Keeping the combinations for the safes that you manufacture is just f****** dumb.

Wow that's awesome. So that means Liberty Safe has the combination for every safe they've ever made in a database somewhere. So if a hacker would a compromise their database, using an attack like SQL injection against their web apps, they could dump the entire database and have every combination everywhere in the world for every safe they ever made. That's super comforting. Way to go Liberty.

You cannot have stolen from you what you do not have to be stolen. Keeping the combinations for the safes that you manufacture is just f****** dumb.
That is why I mentioned earlier that keeping this type of information costs money, you have to protect it. Which is why it is easier to not keep it, and a bonus is you get to avoid these interactions with gov.

The new marketing thing with safe manufacturers will become "we don't store your information".

Did they? It has not been established that it what they provided. If they did, that would allow the FBI to potentially open any/all of the Liberty Safes that use the same back door combo. I find it somewhat difficult to believe they are going to have a different back door combo for every safe.

This would be the only reasonable way to do it. Secrets... don't stay secret. If there was a single combination that worked on all their safes you can bet the farm it would get leaked, and then their business would be destroyed within months.

Plus, it's not like having an extra six digits of information per customer is going to break anyone's database bank.

Why not? It's not hard to do.

I agree, not technically hard to do. PIA to keep a DB of the codes but once again very doable. However this is all conjecture because we don't know what Liberty provided and we don't know if it was a master back door or a specific back door or the actual combination itself.

I agree, not technically hard to do. PIA to keep a DB of the codes but once again very doable. However this is all conjecture because we don't know what Liberty provided and we don't know if it was a master back door or a specific back door or the actual combination itself.
It's always specific. It's probably hashed against the serial number.

Way to commit professional suicide! They musta been like hey AB, hold by bud light and watch this!!

I'm going to address this generically.

- Safe dealer probably has a list of sales with the combos on file. Perhaps Liberty does too.
- Most safe dealers don't/won't give the key to change the combo to the purchaser. [Yes, I know that you can buy anything on eBay.]0
- Most purchasers are unaware of how to change the combo. I believe that you have to remove the inner panel to get to the lock mechanism.
- I doubt that the cheesy Liberty locks I've seen use the same changing key as an S&G lock.
I believe this was an electronic keypad. There is no physical key required to change the combination on an electronic keypad — at least, there isn’t on my Sergeant & Greenleaf electronic keypads.

That’s not obvious at all.
Lol every safe vendor does this BS because of the # of nippleheads who either lose the combo or lock themselves out. I think some vendors will let you overwrite the "master" code though.

Lol every safe vendor does this BS because of the # of nippleheads who either lose the combo or lock themselves out. I think some vendors will let you overwrite the "master" code though.
You are making an assumption without supporting it.

There are several possibilities for safes with electronic locks:

1) The manufacturer sets a default code for a range of serial numbers and maintains that mapping in their files.

2) The manufacturer sets a unique code for each safe and maintains that info on their files.

3) the manufacturer sets a default code but also has an undisclosed master code that works on either all safes or a range of serial numbers.

People keep claiming that 3) is true, but without providing any evidence.

For safes with mechanical locks, manufacturers set a unique combination for each safe and they provide that in written form to the owner. I assume that they keep that in their records.

Yup. But why make it easy for them? Clearly the owner didn’t want to make it easy for them because he didn’t provide the FBI with the code. Or the FBI never asked him, which is bloody stupid if they didn’t. But then again, they came out kinetic to arrest him…. for being at a protest against the government.

How far the U.S. has fallen. I thought that type of stuff was limited to places like Turkey and Russia.
So what should Tony have done said to them say hello to my little friend?

View: https://youtu.be/sSUCDnFuKeE?si=D4MPAGlHelhTltef

Let the homeowner decide that.

I agree, since I wholeheartedly support stupidity taxes. Once the Feds show up with a warrant, assuming you don't want to go full Randy Weaver, about all you can do is read the warrant, determine what it gives them the power to search for, tell them you don't consent to anything beyond the scope of the warrant, call your lawyer, and shut up.

If you don't want to give them the combination to your safe, they will get it open within perhaps an hour, and ensure it's only value afterwards is as scrap. Odds are they'll also do extra damage elsewhere in the name of "vigilance" and "reasonable damage" as well. Choose your battles, folks.

Unless you get a subpoena, you do not provide anything to the government. Them having a warrant is immaterial, the warrant is to search the accuseds home it doesn't compel Liberty Safe to give the government any information.

For those of you saying you should just give them the info so they don't damage your safe: You never ever voluntarily consent to a search even if presented with a warrant. You always register your objection to the search (that doesn't mean you impede them from searching). Once you have given permission for a search, anything they find is fair game even if it wasn't covered by the warrant.

Unless you get a subpoena, you do not provide anything to the government. Them having a warrant is immaterial, the warrant is to search the accuseds home it doesn't compel Liberty Safe to give the government any information.

For those of you saying you should just give them the info so they don't damage your safe: You never ever voluntarily consent to a search even if presented with a warrant. You always register your objection to the search (that doesn't mean you impede them from searching). Once you have given permission for a search, anything they find is fair game even if it wasn't covered by the warrant.
This.

Why on Earth you would give these people more rope to string you up with is beyond me.

So, if they have a warrant to search your safe...

They say they'll bust it open if you don't open it for them.

You object to the search.

If they are going to break it open anyway - can you just open it for them to avoid damages to your safe?

Or, is opening it for them implying consent?

So, if they have a warrant to search your safe...

They say they'll bust it open if you don't open it for them.

You object to the search.

If they are going to break it open anyway - can you just open it for them to avoid damages to your safe?

Or, is opening it for them implying consent?
What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom