Liberty Safe Confirms They Gave Feds Access Code to Gun Safe During Raid on January 6 Protester

Don't screw around with investigating your digital lock.

Just get one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B01MQMM72AView: https://www.amazon.com/Sargent-Greenleaf-6730-100-Safe-Lock/dp/B01MQMM72A/

I got the 6730-102, which has a different shape dial but is otherwise the same. The installation is this much -->][<-- harder than the beep-beep-beep locks because you have to be a bit more careful about inside/outside alignment. But it's not hard.

The beep-beep-beep types can fail without warning in a way that requires drilling to gain access.
I have a Liberty Safe. I also picked up the key to change the combo (mechanical lock). I have not done it because of free time constraints. Is there a back door combo to mechanical locks? What about this S&G model?

The safe was a good model for price/performance. I am aware of its limitations. The goal was modest fire protection and against a casual intruder that managed to get past the alarm, dogs, or me and the mrs.

I know enough to rekey all my door type locks. I am not concerned about changing out the safe lock. I just don’t want to waste my time if they all have a back door combo. The safe is not worth the $1800 high security locks mentioned in this thread.

What say ye NES? Re-combo or replace the mechanical dial lock?

Last edited:
S&G mechanical locks do not have a back door, though an auto-dialer can eventually hit the combo (not practical if you have a 4 wheel S&G lock or a Group I or Ir mechanical).

In addition to the mechanics of changing the combo, you need to know about the forbidden zone (usually 0-20, range cannot be used for last number or condo) and it's generally considered good practice to go lo-hi-lo or hi-lo-i rather than monotonically ascending or descending, and do not re-use a number.

Last edited:
I was just about to post this.

Apparently Liberty Safe has been Liberal Safe for a couple years now.
Yes, you can see the Monomoy Capital contributions on the opensecrets link below. The only republican they ever donated to was joe Walsh of Illinois in 2012. He tried to run as a gop candidate in 2020, dropped out, and then endorsed Joe Biden in 2020.

Nope - the vacuum will draw the door closed against the seals and block off air flow

Fish tank air pump into a small hole would work as it would very slightly pressurize the container pushing the door off its seals
You can stick a screwdriver in the door jam if you are worried about that. Lots of safes are loose and sloppy. Many also have a hole the bottom for electric cords which will provide an intake.

Of course educating your kids not to go into a safe is good advice.

Same with refrigerators at the side of the road.

Liberty Safe Changes Policy to Require Subpoena for Release of Access Codes to Law Enforcement, Following Backlash Over Providing FBI Access to January 6er’s Gun Safe (VIDEO)​

Too little too late.

They have already shown their true colors. Maybe I missed it but is there a reason they came out and publicly talked about this?
I think the Guy who got arrested said they did it and they came out and said, “yep, we sure did.” And then they realized they just bud lited themselves and said they will no longer do it without a subpoena. Better off finding a way to remove that ability from any product like that you purchase instead of trusting a company who turns on a dime. If they’re too stupid to initially know why they shouldn’t have been giving out that data without a subpoena, then they’re part of the problem of civilians accepting eroding rights of the citizens as the feds ramp up their barnstorming over the Constitution.

You can stick a screwdriver in the door jam if you are worried about that. Lots of safes are loose and sloppy. Many also have a hole the bottom for electric cords which will provide an intake.

Of course educating your kids not to go into a safe is good advice.

Same with refrigerators at the side of the road.

Liberty Safe Changes Policy to Require Subpoena for Release of Access Codes to Law Enforcement, Following Backlash Over Providing FBI Access to January 6er’s Gun Safe (VIDEO)​

A very smart move on their part. I'd bet their corporate lawyer didn't have a clue.

S&G mechanical locks do not have a back door, though an auto-dialer can eventually hit the combo (not practical if you have a 4 wheel S&G lock or a Group I or Ir mechanical).

In addition to the mechanics of changing the combo, you need to know about the forbidden zone (usually 0-20, range cannot be used for last number or condo) and it's generally considered good practice to go lo-hi-lo or hi-lo-i rather than monotonically ascending or descending, and do not re-use a number.

And you can lock yourself out if you're not careful.

The safe manufacturer also announced a feature allowing customers to opt out of the company’s database, thereby ensuring that only the safe owner knows the access cod

Ok, so Liberty allows customers to have data deleted. Even assuming that is true, can a subpoena compel liberty to restore a copy of their database from a backup if they still have one dating before the code was removed?

I'm not surprised at all to see that corporations bow to the badges, what is a surprise is how stupid Liberty was in confirming they did it like they think all their Boomer customers are still bootlicking cop cucks like they were years ago; that's just a company being out of touch with its customers.

This situation reminds me of the Benchmade controversy where they were helping local pigs destroy confiscated firearms. Again, tone deaf response, boycott ensued, it's probably been forgotten about now and the stumblebum 2A community has probably gone back to buying Benchmade to show off their $150 flipper and fap over the US made quality because having premium trinkets means more than not supporting a company who I still believe is aiding local LE in destroying firearms they bring to them.

IDK what the solution is to this corporate cuckery to the Fed. The corps are all going to fukk us, that's obvious, but we don't know which ones are going to do it next. Sure, we can jump on Cancel Culture with Liberty and not buy their products anymore, but the damage is done to current owners who have given money to a company that could care less about their 4th Amendment rights.

I'm of the opinion to just start boycotting all US based corporations and their products because the .Gov has too much power over them and it seems they all donate to Donks anyway.

Last edited:
In post #48, I sarcastically asked if Liberty was next on the NES boycott list. Well, here it is: [laugh]

Popular gun safe company Liberty Safe is facing intense backlash after providing the Federal Bureau of Investigation with the password to a customer's safe at the law enforcement agency's request, and conservative influencers are now calling for boycotting the brand.

I received this response from Sun Welding Safes today if anyone is interest in buying one so you know what your getting for a commitment.

"C&H Welding Inc., dba Sun Welding is aware of the situation involving the FBI and another safe manufacture.

The FBI requested the combination code to the safe of an individual for whom they had a warrant to search their property. The other safe manufacture was not required to provide this master electronic combination, nor were they required to store the master electronic combination.

It is C&H Welding Inc., dba Sun Welding’s belief that the protection of personal property and 2nd Amendment rights of American citizens are first and foremost. Our safes and vaults are not built with an override system, giving our customers full control of their combination.

C&H Welding Inc., dba Sun Welding will continue to produce the highest quality products to exceed the expectations and trust of our customers.

1. Do we store combos?
-Yes, the original factory combination for mechanical locks are stored in a secure database. In order to gain access to the original factory code the original owner of the safe must produce documents; copy of invoice or have registered the safe, notary of documents, and serial number to the safe.
-Electronic locks are sent to the customer on a generic master code. Upon receiving the safe the customer changes the master code to their desired combination and that is now the new master code. Sun Welding does not know or store the new customer generated combination and the customer now has total control of the new combination.
-Customers at time of order can request that no combination be stored by Sun Welding for the mechanical locks which Sun Welding is happy to oblige.
-If this request is made after the safe has shipped we require a copy of the invoice to match the name on order, serial number to the safe, and notary and then Sun Welding will erase all records of the original combination.

2. Will we give your combination out to a government agency requesting your combination?
-No.

3. We give the customer the option to preset their mechanical combination at time of order or choose a random combination to be set. If the customer would like to change their combination on a mechanical lock they can do so with a combination change tool. We recommend that a certified SAVTA or ALOA locksmith change the combination. However the customer is provided instructions with the combination change tool. The combination can be changed at any time by the owner of the safe with the combination change tool. *this is a mechanical action that needs to occur in the physical location of the safe.
If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know. We value our customers feedback and we are continually working to exceed our customers expectations and trust. "

So did I spend some money on one? I did. Was it worth it maybe maybe not. Can you break into it ? I am sure you can but the FBI isn't without a grinder. They key is you have to get by my friend and when he is gone he will be replaced with another just like him. Protection on several levels is the key to safety!

Thinking about this earlier today. Had a thought. What if a person removes the serial number from the safe. I think it's usually a sticker or small plate. Manufacturer would have no way of knowing anything about accessing it unless it was purchased direct.

Thinking about this earlier today. Had a thought. What if a person removes the serial number from the safe. I think it's usually a sticker or small plate. Manufacturer would have no way of knowing anything about accessing it unless it was purchased direct.
Depends on how the safe was ordered - if it was from ordered or drop shipped from the factory, that would be enough.

Last edited:
What you need to worry about is that Liberty Safe also kept their customer list. So did they provide that to the FBI as well? Are you nervous yet??

Even if you have 30-50k in guns going with a 16k safe is not a very efficient use of cash unless you have a unique item that can't be replaced or your insurance requires a higher level of security.

Every safe can be opened by a highly determined and skilled attacker.
However the chance that you are targeted by a skilled attacker is almost indistinguishable from zero for the vast majority of us.

Something that stops the local crackhead looking for a fast grab is perfectly fine for 99%.

That said - I'd rather lose the money on a drilled safe and be able to clearly argue a 4A violation than give up the combo then pay a lawyer a few thousand more to argue that I gave it up under duress.
Highly determined and skilled?
If we are talking 99% of the gun 'safes' out there - Liberty included - any jamoke with an angle grinder can open them up lickety split.

Back
Top Bottom