Long Range Rifle

ive already budgeted it out
just for the gun itself its looking to be about 1k, that includes action, stock, base and rings (not including bedding)
and then theres the scope, that gonna run 500-1k depending on how you want to go, ive been lurking the hell out of SH and for glass they seem to like vortex for the price and also for lower money the weaver tactical. but also there the route of getting an NF, S&B, Leup, Zeiss, and all those other 1k+ scopes. This is where my problem has occured I know im going to sell my .06 and pick up a .308 howa and then i have no idea what to grab for a scope.

Then theres other things to do DBM, cut and recrown barrel, havin the gun colored like jose did. then again these things are not that important and can wait and might not even be done.

Im planning on having this done by summer. hopefully!

If i win the lottery, screw it im getting a GAP

I don't even know how to use a scope, so I am not going to spend that much on one. I have a SWFA 10x SS scope that will do me well to learn with, and once I decide it is holding me back, I will shop for something a little better.

I don't even know how to use a scope, so I am not going to spend that much on one. I have a SWFA 10x SS scope that will do me well to learn with, and once I decide it is holding me back, I will shop for something a little better.

Hey! I just ordered one of those. For the exact same reason.

I'm putting on a Savage Model 10, my build will be just under $1k total package, it's my learning stick.

Hey! I just ordered one of those. For the exact same reason.

I'm putting on a Savage Model 10, my build will be just under $1k total package, it's my learning stick.

I have used it, mounted on my M14, it works well and is very clear. For the money I figure I can learn with it, then hand it down to a future project, rather then spend a grand on a scope that I don't know for sure I will like, and then take a hit trying to sell it to fund a scope that will actually fit what I need.

I can read the internet until my eyeballs dry out, but until I sit behind the rifle and do it, I will be as useless as I am now.

Thats a great point. I was just looking around at them, and thinking... wait what the hell does this thing do? Anything will be an improvement from the rimfire scope i have on my ruger. Learn first, upgrade later.

I wasn't attacking or anything, it's just not my learning style when it comes to practical applications.

I didnt get any sense of an attack, i understand getting somthing like the SS and learning from it then moving on.

Im still in college and would rather buy somthing that i use to begin with and still be able to use once i get more proficent.

Im still not sold on 10x though. I also leaning towards the new weaver tacticals they have out now. i think midway had them on sale for like 299$. Ive always had scopes on my rifles, execpt for .22s so im fairly used to them.

Scopes were new to me last year.

Sure I shot a deer or two with a scoped hunting rifle when I lived in KS. But aside from that all my rifle shooting from about 2000 to last year was done with aperture sights, either what's on an AR15 A2 or the more sophisticated apertures of pure target rifles.

It also took some time to refigure the prone position to shoot from a bipod. It feels quite different from what I was used to, which is wearing a shooting coat and a tight sling.

How is 10x at say 600yd - 800 yds, the USMC used to have the 10x scopes and they were making LR shots

For shooting the typical-size steel plate, just fine. For real precision work like long range benchrest or NRA F class, not so much. You can shoot F class with a 10X, but the real competitive guys are shooting 20X min and most are going 30 - 35X.

Still, DO NOT let that deter you. Get an affordable (but not junk) 10 to 12 X and get in the game.

Affordable but good: Bushnell 3200, Weaver Grad Slam, other mid priced scopes made in Japan.

Junk: Barska, Counter Sniper, Millet, anything made in China.

For shooting the typical-size steel plate, just fine. For real precision work like long range benchrest or NRA F class, not so much. You can shoot F class with a 10X, but the real competitive guys are shooting 20X min and most are going 30 - 35X.

Still, DO NOT let that deter you. Get an affordable (but not junk) 10 to 12 X and get in the game.

Affordable but good: Bushnell 3200, Weaver Grad Slam, other mid priced scopes made in Japan.

Junk: Barska, Counter Sniper, Millet, anything made in China.

The "Super Sniper" brand from SWFA seems to be a great scope for the cash (around $300). I've heard mixed reviews about Millet.. is that a definite avoid, or a "they had issues in the past" sort of thing?

Personally I wouldn't buy a scope made in China. IIRC that's where most low-priced Millets are made.

Also, a Bushnell Elite is far superior to the Bushnell "optics" you see in plastic bubble packs at your local Walmart sporting goods dept.

Damn, went and tried to go to the gun stores around here and sell one of my guns.......No go, i didnt think it would this be bad trying to get rid of a .30-06. Im thinkin I might be better off trading it towards somthing more expensive. Maybe a Remington, or a higher end savage.

MOA size target or MAN size target at 1000yds?

Color me skeptical too.

I've shot on the NRA MR-1 (600 yd) target with a 10X scope and the X ring (1 MOA) is mighty hard to see unless you have some fine cross hairs.

There is a reason why serious F class shooters (whose 10 ring is 1 MOA and x ring is 1/2) have all gone to 25 - 35 X scopes.

Color me skeptical too.

I've shot on the NRA MR-1 (600 yd) target with a 10X scope and the X ring (1 MOA) is mighty hard to see unless you have some fine cross hairs.

There is a reason why serious F class shooters (whose 10 ring is 1 MOA and x ring is 1/2) have all gone to 25 - 35 X scopes.

Gen 2 XR in .04 mil. Works pretty well to quater 30 cal holes at 100 yards.

It's very possible to shoot a MOA-size group at 1000 yds, but with a 10X scope, what you are aiming at needs to be a little larger than 10-1/2".
As Jose said, your crosshairs would cover most, if not all of that. Try putting a 1" black dot on white paper at 100yds and see for yourself.

Now quick question for alot of these long range matches are they shooting for small groups or just to hit a certain size target at KD.

Those thunder valley shoots people are just shooting at steel targets, under conditions like that a 10x scope would be fine? but what about other matches are they going for just tight groupings?

It's very possible to shoot a MOA-size group at 1000 yds, but with a 10X scope, what you are aiming at needs to be a little larger than 10-1/2".
As Jose said, your crosshairs would cover most, if not all of that. Try putting a 1" black dot on white paper at 100yds and see for yourself.
All I am going to speak to here is that you have no clue what was posted. Why don't you try converting .04 mil to inches at 1000 yards. Then tell him why he can't see the target. NES is so full of this. Call the dude out on his shooting if you want, but if you are going to call him out on facts you better know what your talking about. You clearly don't here.

Back
Top Bottom