• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Range Rifle

I made it all the way through but it took me like ten tries to get through level 14. 7 seconds to engage two pop ups at 350 meters is freaking hard.

Scored a 69 and some change at 600 m.

Alright now that ive sold my old rifle, its time for me to start looking for new gun.

I can get a Rem 700 from buds if need be for 584$ and thats the tactical sps with the 20in heavy barrel

Im really leaning this way.

That would be a good platform to build upon.

Shoot it as is for a while with the best glass you can afford. Then upgrade the trigger and stock.

Right now theres a NIB rem 700SA reciever for sale in the classifieds for 350$, just thought i might throw that out there if anyones looking to do a custom build.

And yes depending on what i have for cash at the moment it might either be a SWFA SS in 10x or if i really have the money a Vortex PST.

Completed the course this weekend. It was awesome. The first day we had a few hours of classroom instruction to go over safety rules and talk about rifles, scopes, and precision shooting. It was excellent for me since I an completely new to scoped rifles.

The class then went out to 100 yards and tested the rifles and scopes. We zeroed the rifles and did a number of drills to test the scopes. My best group was one ragged hole just over an inch. We shot from the bench and the prone positions.

Day two we moved to 200 yards and did more drills. We shot paper and steel. The downside was that we did not move past 200 until all students were on paper and could have at least a 4 inch group. Some were having issues with scopes and rifles. 200 was no problem for me.

Day three we moved out to 300 yards and since it was pouring out we shot steel. I partnered up with fellow NES'er who had an Accuracy International rifle and we took turns making groups on the silhouettes. We then saw a 6 inch round steel and started shooting that.

We then moved out to 500 yards. They have a weird rule that you can only shoot suppressed rifles at 500 on Sunday since you have to move out close to the road to get that distance. We shot a suppressed SSG and a TAC 2. It was pretty awesome.

One of the instructors brought in a thermal imager and we were able to play with that...a $24,000 piece of equipment. Also shot some .338 Lapua out of a TAC 2. I want one.

Instruction was good and the course was a blast. Sucks to go into the Pro Shop and see all the guns you can't own in MASS.

Any recommendations for a course for someone who has never shot a rifle before? Am I better off asking around my club (HSC) for someone willing to give me a basic 101?

Thoughts/input on the Remington 700 5R milspec? I think it's the "limited annual production, off catalog" mystique that's drawn me in, but I am interested none the less.

I've read a few positive reviews, and one at snipercentral where they seemed a little underwhelmed; but it's my first bolt action so I'm sure it's more than capable to get started with, and build off of.

Last edited:
Method, give Mel at Sniper Central a try, the Rem 700 based rifle that he made me shoots 1/3 or less MOA, and cost under $1500 with glass. I have since added the Wyatt's bottom metal with the magazine
View attachment 18606

View attachment 18607

Hmmm, thanks for the link, I saw that and the Howa a while back but forgot about them. That's certainly a good option, and they have payment plans so I could pay it off while they're building it. Which scope did you go with?

Millett 4-16x50 TRS-1 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Mil-Dot
TRS-1.jpg

Matte
Illuminated Mil-Dot
30mm
1/4 MOA Click Target Knobs
Side Focus
The scope is excellent, it has not lost zero in over 300 rounds and tracks perfectly, down the road I'd like to spend on something with more bells and whistles but for now I'll stick with it.

If you go with Mel, pay the extra for the Cerakote.

Attachments

• TRS-1.jpg
    TRS-1.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
Reading through this thread has really peaked my interest, much more than any kind of pistol or shotgun shooting. I don't have nearly the budget to get into it right now though, and I still have a few guns on my "to get" list. I'm also still pretty new to shooting, so I figure I should probably get good with my .22 before I go dropping over a grand on a new gun, scope, rings, and ammo that are far and away above my skill level.

That being said, can anyone give any recommendations for a decent scope for a .22 that won't break the bank but is good enough to practice and get better with?

I'm going to continue following this thread, and if this holds my interest I can see myself starting to put together a long range setup by this time next year.

Reading through this thread has really peaked my interest, much more than any kind of pistol or shotgun shooting. I don't have nearly the budget to get into it right now though, and I still have a few guns on my "to get" list. I'm also still pretty new to shooting, so I figure I should probably get good with my .22 before I go dropping over a grand on a new gun, scope, rings, and ammo that are far and away above my skill level.

That being said, can anyone give any recommendations for a decent scope for a .22 that won't break the bank but is good enough to practice and get better with?

I'm going to continue following this thread, and if this holds my interest I can see myself starting to put together a long range setup by this time next year.

Sightron with adjustable parallax:
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x36-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9154.aspx

Redfield:
http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx

Leupold:
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-Patrol-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P49445.aspx

Thanks guys, I am going to decide between the Mueller or the Redfield. I forgot to mention that I am on a college budget, so a Leupold is a bit much for the moment, lol.

Very basic, noob question:

I know with iron sights, I focus on the front sight and let the target go fuzzy, but don't have a whole lot of experience with scopes, so...

When looking through the scope, at a target; should I be focusing on the reticle and let the target go fuzzy, or focus on the target?

I set my scopes so that the reticle is as crisp and clear as i can get it, you can do this by adjusting the paralax or adjusting the housing on the rear of the scope. When I shoot everything is pretty much the same. Adjust the scope accordingly and place the reticle on the target.

The further you go out the less clear the target becomes, its not that big of a deal on high end scopes but on cheaper ones with fixed power you can tell.

Back
Top Bottom