Long Range Rifle

I think it's a good deal

The 5R barrel refers to the shape and geometry of the rifling lands and grooves. It doesn't hurt and sometimes it improves accuracy by stressing the bullet jacket less. Some say it also reduces fouling, though I have no first hand experience with it.

The threaded muzzle is nice. One less thing to do if you want to attach a suppressor.

I wouldn't worry about it not being in Savage's catalog. It's probably a special run made for a big distributor or retailer much like the off-catalog guns S&W makes for Talo or Lew Horton.

That makes sense, thanks for breaking that down for me. I am gonna pay the bills and see where my finances land, I may buy this week.

Honestly, if I was going to spend big money to travel to a rifle class, I'd go to Rifles Only in Texas or Storm Mountain in WV.

Storm Mountain is about a 5 hr drive from here so that makes it an easy choice.

Finished my build

My build happened by accident. As some of you know, I work at MFL part time. I saw this rifle come in and it was just looking at me with those big puppy dog eyes, and I couldn't let it go to a bad home. So a bought it.

Savage Model 10 FP-SR $509.95, and no, that's the retail price that I paid, not the employee price. I didn't even ask for an employee price on it, mostly because I couldn't find Jim when I decided to buy it.

Topped it off with an SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope which had recieved several good reviews from people I know that have used it. When I went to checkout they asked me if I wanted the Butler Creek flip up cover kit and the 2.5" sunshade to go with it, and I figured if I don't like them, I don't have to use them. I also ordered the Millett Tactical 30mm low (1/4") rings for no particular reason other than I wanted the scope as low to the bore as possible considering where my line of sight ended up when I shouldered the un-scoped rifle. Total cost for that package including shipping was $388.xx and arrived in about a week.

I added a Harris 6-9" Bipod ~$90 IIRC, and a sling ~$30, and a decent hard case ~$100.

Total cost is just under $1120, which is less than I paid for my AR with no optics or upgrades.

I have yet to shoot it. This is my entry level learning rifle. I've built it up slowly, and it's entire purpose is for me to learn how to shoot past 300 yds consistently and effectively, and to learn what I like and don't like about this equipment. Right now I forsee either a change in the ring height, or the stock, but I'm not gonna rush any changes till after I put some real time into shooting the damn thing.

Gonzo that's a good solid plan.

I bet the rifle performs beyond your expectations. Let the boss try it out just to see what it is capable of.

Nice setup, Gonzo. I have it's almost identical twin, except for the rings and the rifle being a 10-FLP because I'm one of those weirdos.

I need a lot more work than the rifle does. I get noticeably worse results when shooting off the bipod instead of a bench - haven't quite figured that one out yet. [thinking]

I need a lot more work than the rifle does. I get noticeably worse results when shooting off the bipod instead of a bench - haven't quite figured that one out yet. [thinking]

The training section on the snipershide.com forums has a series of excellent training video lectures and they cover your position behind the rifle and how to tame the rifle's recoil when shooting prone off a bipod. You gotta pay to get the videos but from what I've seen they are worth it.

Thanks guys. I'll give a range report on both the rifle and myself when I get the chance. I don't have much time off these days, so it may be a little while.

That's why I can't work in a gun shop, haha.

It's an exercise in self-restraint that doesn't always work. [laugh]

BTW, Jose points you to good site for sim practice on targets at UNKNOWN distances.
Notice that the scopes used in the sim examples have "mil-dot" markings.

It's a good tip to get familiar with the various ways that mil-dots can assist you with shooting long distance.

You're not going to do well, long distance, with $39 Tasco scope. I'm not suggesting that you need to buy a $4000 scope either. But, suffice it to say that a good long distance scope has various features that make them preferred.
1) Large Objective lens
2) Appropriate cross hair configuration.
3) Appropriate magnification
4) Quality glass - enough so the edges of the vision are clear and not distorted.
5) Sufficient exit pupil size - factors into eye relief and the clearer ability to see the target.
6) Scope properly aligned to the barrel. Just placing the scope on mounts and tightening isn't necessarily going to guarantee proper alignment.
7) Rock solid and appropriate scope mounts, properly torqued

Changing subject..... An often overlooked detail to tuning a rifle relates to the connection between the receiver and the stock. Most receivers have one or two screws which hold the rifle receiver to the stock. Two screws is obviously better than one. But, the TORQUE of those screws is critical. Check with your gun manufcturer for the proper torque for your gun. It's typically in the range of 35 pound/inches (NOT foot pounds, which would easily strip the threads). It requires a sequence of tightening to get the torque right.

Last edited:
The training section on the snipershide.com forums has a series of excellent training video lectures and they cover your position behind the rifle and how to tame the rifle's recoil when shooting prone off a bipod. You gotta pay to get the videos but from what I've seen they are worth it.

Thanks, Jose. I'll have to check those out.

Guys, I wanted to share a couple of companies that either I, or friends of mine have done business with. Both are excellent.

GA Precision makes some of the finest rifles on the planet, bar none, but they are a bit pricey.

Sniper Central built my custom Remington, it came with glass for under $1500 and shoots sub 1/2 minute groups at 300 yards with no effort. Mel is great to work with and I have heard great things about his shooting class in Montana, hoping to go out this summer. Check out his rifle packages here

Don't get too hung up on the gun initially. Until you've been at it a while a 1MOA gun is more than enough because all the other (your) errors are so great (at 1,000y misreading the wind by 1mph = 1MOA drift). Past 500y it's all about knowing your dope and reading the wind. Past 800y give thought to temperature and baro pressure.

I used to compete with a sporterized 1917 Enfield 30-06 in a "practical" match that started at 200y and ended at 1,000. With hand-loads the gun would barely hold 1MOA. Its wood stock and skinny barrel looked very out of place, but I generally finished in the middle of the pack once I learned something about the wind. I'm a minimalist, so I had fun beating a few guys with high-end rigs.

Last edited:
I signed up for the SIG Precision Rifle course. Three day course in May. I am stoked for this.

That Sig Precision Rifle class is great! I took it last fall, only three of us in the class. I got to borrow their Blaser Tac 2 rifle for the class. What an awesome rifle! I'd like to go back when I put a decent rifle and scope together. You'll have fun!

That Sig Precision Rifle class is great! I took it last fall, only three of us in the class. I got to borrow their Blaser Tac 2 rifle for the class. What an awesome rifle! I'd like to go back when I put a decent rifle and scope together. You'll have fun!

Still assembling my rifle but I am pumped for this class.

Putting the pieces together. SAKO TRG22 .308 Nightforce 3.5-15x50

DSC_0294.jpg
[/IMG]

Amazing. It comes down to learning the fundamentals and building those skills. The rifle can't do it for you.

Thanks. There is a slot in the front of the fore grip just under the barrel. The SAKO bipod has a tab that slides into that slot. It does not touch the barrel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom