• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New acquisitions for February 2008

Met a fellow NES member at ZHA today and sold a rifle. Never made it out of the store with the cash. Spent it and more.

Keltec P11 9mm

P11003.jpg

Let me know what you think about that P11, Steve. I'm curious how the Kel-Tec durability holds up with a hotter cartridge than .380ACP...

Hello everyone! I picked up two firearms this month, first was a factory refurb Glock 23, .40 S&W with 3 15 round magazines, we all know what they look like, and I don't have any pics on the laptop, so you can imagine one HERE.

I also got a Yugo SKS M59/66 yesterday from my favorite shop in Plymouth, cleaned off the last of the cosmo and took it to the range today. Shot very well and the recoil from the 7.62x39 was more tame than I expected. I picked up case of 1000 rounds and burned through 200 of them today with a friend of mine and my father, they liked the rifle as well! Only down side was when a hot shell was ejected and bounced off the ceiling and landed on the base of my neck, then rolled down my jacket and sweatshirt...

More detailed pictures to follow, but here's one my buddy took of yours truly putting my eyes to work on those iron sights:
SKS02-23-08004.jpg

Nice! Golden Tiger and a 59/66. From M&M's I'm guessing right?
Thats a fun range trip IMO.

102_0047.jpg

Just picked up the PPK/S w/CTG's and The M&P .40 I picked up a couple of months ago, but I had to wait for new digital camera to post. The M&P has had a trigger job, Grip stippling, Fiber optic fronhttp://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/redsoxfan1_photos/?action=view&current=102_0047.jpgt sight and high polish barrel

Last edited:
finally...here are the pics...unfortunately they dont do the rifle justice!

02_24_0-1.jpg

02_24_1-1.jpg

another huge thanx goes out to the guys at ZHA...Marc especially for the numerous pms back and forth to secure this rifle!

Yes sir! Any Milsurp tips for me?

The SKS is my favorite rifle. I've been collecting them for over 5 years now and the only tips I can offer is to keep it in original configuration and if you really enjoy the function and overall rifle as much as I do... be careful! They tend to multiply in a collection quickly because they're cheap and affordable.[smile]

A bit of Mil surp love this month.
I got the Yugo SKS a while ago and took my time cleaning and refinishing so I wouldn't loose any of the marks on the wood.
I picked up the Russian SKS a couple of weeks ago and haven't yet torn it down for a good cleaning and inspection. Still not too sure if I want to strip this stock like I did on the Yugo and refinish it. I kinda like the look of it the way it is. And I need to figure out what the hell all those stamped marks represent.
The Mosin came to me in late Jan. and blew me away at the range. man that thing packs a punch.
Thanks a ton for all of you Milsurp guys posting all of the "to-do's" with these beauties. And damn you all the same! I want more more more!
SKSandtable021.jpg

SKSandtable022.jpg

SKSandtable018.jpg

SKSandtable014.jpg

Del-Ton A3 Upper

IMG_0227.jpg

My Del-Ton A3 upper came in today and was mounted up to my RRA lower...

Upper looks nice. Can't wait to try it out!! (and figure out the sites [thinking])

This is my favorite AR. (oh yeah, it's my first and only!)

Last edited:

Upper looks nice. Can't wait to try it out!! (and figure out the sites [thinking])

Oooo. Looks evil [smile]

Way to go Matt! Welcome to the EVIL Club [devil]

A bit of Mil surp love this month.
I got the Yugo SKS a while ago and took my time cleaning and refinishing so I wouldn't loose any of the marks on the wood.
I picked up the Russian SKS a couple of weeks ago and haven't yet torn it down for a good cleaning and inspection. Still not too sure if I want to strip this stock like I did on the Yugo and refinish it. I kinda like the look of it the way it is. And I need to figure out what the hell all those stamped marks represent.

Thats a really nice Russian stock. You will lose a lot of that beautiful red color if you strip it down for refinishing. Try some polish on the stock and see if it brings the shine back where it looks dull. Russian and some Chinese stocks often dull out after a while because the shellac loses its gloss over the years.
At the most I'd clean it with denatured alcohol and try to re-flow some of the shellac. The alcohol can actually remove shellac so be careful when using it. If you still aren't happy with the way it looks you can give it a thin coat of clear shellac thinned with denatured alcohol. That will bring out a great shine to the stock and keep the color and finish you have intact. It will also prevent any flaking and fill in scratches.

My Para P12 Limited picked up from member southshoresig a couple of weeks ago. also picked up 3 preban 12 round mags.

IMG_3329.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3331.jpg
[/IMG]

And picked up last week from member RHJJ, is a S&W 340PD with Crimson Trace laser grips. I love this gun. shoots great, the trigger pull seems a lot harder than the one I dry fired at Four Seasons. This one, while used, was never fired. I have been carrying this since I got it. The recoil with Magnums wasn't as bad as I expected after reading the online reviews.

IMG_3322.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3317.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3323.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
And picked up last week from member RHJJ, is a S&W 340PD with Crimson Trace laser grips.
I love this gun. shoots great, the trigger pull seems a lot harder than the one I dry fired at Four Seasons.
This one, while used, was never fired. I have been carrying this since I got it. The recoil with Magnums
wasn't as bad as I expected after reading the online reviews.

Nice pickup. The triggers suck on these J-Frames. I have a 432PD and if there is a worse
trigger made I haven't seen it. I was thinking when I get a few bucks together to get a
trigger job on it if possible.

Thank you. I am going to have to go back to Four Seasons and dry fire the one there again. I swear it had a lot easier trigger pull. Still shot pretty well with it when I "set" the trigger.

What's the difference with the 432PD?

432PD is a six shot .32 H&R Magnum. It's out of production a couple of years ago.
Getting the 'trigger feeling' is something I have to do every time I shoot. It's not
very intuitive when you are shooting something else and then shoot this. 'Setting'
the trigger by picking up the slack is good for range shooting but I also like to
practice what I refer to a practical, or intuitive, firing which is nothing more than
attempting to get a disciplined rapid fire feel for the firearm. This piece is a
little tougher than most due to the trigger action. Otherwise these are great guns.

ETA: These guns tend to get powder residue in the ejector mechanism which will
make the trigger pull even more screwed up. Try some break free or similar in the
cylinder/ejector shaft channel and that might help. When I got mine (used) the
trigger was a bear and after cleaning it up got to where I think most owners are
wrt the trigger action (still sucks [smile]).

Picture of mine with CT lasergrips. You are right, these are great carry pieces,
especially pocket carry. I bought a Mika pocket holster for it and love it.
Mika link: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

07_25_2007008a.jpg

Stock S&W Picture
163666_large.jpg

Last edited:
My 332 (predecessor of the 442) with titanium cylinder, is my main pocket carry. The .32mag round has about the same characteristics as a 38+p and is very viable as a self defense weapon.

About a million dry fires and the triggers on the jframes smooth out and get easier to work. I agree they are pretty tough at first.

332lg.jpg

My 332 (predecessor of the 442) with titanium cylinder, is my main pocket carry. The .32mag round has about the same characteristics as a 38+p and is very viable as a self defense weapon.

About a million dry fires and the triggers on the jframes smooth out and get easier to work. I agree they are pretty tough at first.

Nice!...like the wood..[grin]

432PD is a six shot .32 H&R Magnum. It's out of production a couple of years ago.
Getting the 'trigger feeling' is something I have to do every time I shoot. It's not
very intuitive when you are shooting something else and then shoot this. 'Setting'
the trigger by picking up the slack is good for range shooting but I also like to
practice what I refer to a practical, or intuitive, firing which is nothing more than
attempting to get a disciplined rapid fire feel for the firearm. This piece is a
little tougher than most due to the trigger action. Otherwise these are great guns.

ETA: These guns tend to get powder residue in the ejector mechanism which will
make the trigger pull even more screwed up. Try some break free or similar in the
cylinder/ejector shaft channel and that might help. When I got mine (used) the
trigger was a bear and after cleaning it up got to where I think most owners are
wrt the trigger action (still sucks [smile]).

Picture of mine with CT lasergrips. You are right, these are great carry pieces,
especially pocket carry. I bought a Mika pocket holster for it and love it.
Mika link: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

07_25_2007008a.jpg

Stock S&W Picture
163666_large.jpg

Thanks for the info. Sweet looking gun. Do you carry it in your pants pocket? Have been carrying mine in the jacket so far.

Thanks for the info. Sweet looking gun. Do you carry it in your pants pocket? Have been carrying mine in the jacket so far.

Both. In the summer it is fine in pants pockets in the Mika holster. A lot of time I carry it in
my inside coat breast pocket with no problems. I find it much more accessible there than even
in my outside waist coat pockets. The Mika holster is great as it stays in the pocket and does
not interfere with the extraction of the pistol.

Both. In the summer it is fine in pants pockets in the Mika holster. A lot of time I carry it in
my inside coat breast pocket with no problems. I find it much more accessible there than even
in my outside waist coat pockets. The Mika holster is great as it stays in the pocket and does
not interfere with the extraction of the pistol.

I checked out the Mika holster, thanks for the link. Will be ordering one this week. I have been carrying in my coat breast pocket, but sans the holster, as I don't have one yet.

Back
Top Bottom