New acquisitions for October 2007

Damn... That's nice. I need to get on the ball and get me one of those! I've always wanted one. Now to find that money tree...

Great pick up! Get a chance to shoot it yet?

Thanks. Nope, FS was out of ammo, and I didn't make it to Northeast until 11AM today. Now the games are on, so it'll have to wait until next Sunday. This week is going to go by sooooo slow.....

Jr

A nicely done '03 sporter followed me home from a Gunbroker auction.[wink]
It has a couple of very minor cosmetic issues and needs a sight transplant, but at about half what they sell for around here, I can deal with it.
I fired a 2" group @ 100 yards, using M2 ball ammo, with it yesterday, so it looks like it will be a good shooter.
It is Dec'41 Remington production.
Some folks get a little worked up about military sporters but is just part of the history of shooting in the USA, as far as I'm concerned.

Image1-vi.jpg

more images at www.jhrosier.fotki.com/03-sporter

This is what I picked up at the Big E gun show today. It is a Sinco-Soviet SKS Serial# K30xx. It looks like it has been well used. It should look better when I clean it up.

DSC02719.jpg

Ya know... I mentioned in a post to someone that the show you don't go to will have the rifle you've been looking for.[sad] There it is.
I hate to ask, but it may make me feel better. How much did it go for?

Ya know... I mentioned in a post to someone that the show you don't go to will have the rifle you've been looking for.[sad] There it is.
I hate to ask, but it may make me feel better. How much did it go for?

Sorry I asked.[crying] I would have hitchhiked there Saturday morning for one at the price you mentioned.

A nicely done '03 sporter followed me home from a Gunbroker auction.[wink]
It has a couple of very minor cosmetic issues and needs a sight transplant, but at about half what they sell for around here, I can deal with it.
I fired a 2" group @ 100 yards, using M2 ball ammo, with it yesterday, so it looks like it will be a good shooter.
It is Dec'41 Remington production.
Some folks get a little worked up about military sporters but is just part of the history of shooting in the USA, as far as I'm concerned.

Image1-vi.jpg

more images at www.jhrosier.fotki.com/03-sporter

Looks like they didn't cut the barrel down so you could bring it back if you wanted to someday..Looks like a real nice job.

1903... Looks nice! I've a question about where they're stored. Do you have them on a wall in a closet used as a vault or is it displayed in the house somewhere? I see the trigger locks, that's why I asked. If it's in a closet/vault, what type of door do you have securing the area? I'm looking to do away with my crappy safe... since the collection is growing, I may as well just make a vault ;) Any help is appreciated!

Cuda,
I have a room in my basement for all the gun stuff, right now I have two safes bolted to the wall for the guns in the room and I store them in that. The trigger lock is on the 03 from when I brought it home from the range.

I was planning to use the whole room as my secure container, I have barred the one window in it and I purchaced a knockdown steel frame and door to install which I have not done yet. I think I'm gonna keep the safes becuase in reading other threads on the subject using a room as a secured container, however well secured, might not stand up in court if something ever happened. (someone correct me if I am wrong on this). So you really can't go wrong with the safes.

The wall brackets were part of the plan as well, but now I just use them when I haven't seen my 03 collection in a while. I take them all out, put em up there, stand back and take a deep breath. Then they go back in the safe....[laugh]

The latest.
Colt Official Police in .38 special, 6"BBL and tight. Circa 1948. Original plastic grips and not one screw looks like it ever was touched.
There's just something about old blue wheel guns[smile]
colt.jpg

Somehow I knew you'd like this one, Jay[wink]
Call dibs all you want but I think you'll have to fight my boy for it. "Cool six shooter dad. When you gonna teach me how to shoot it? I'll call in sick someday I don't have to work." said he. Brought a tear to my eye[smile]

You have one in .22 don't you? I haven't checked but do you know if Colt has a research service like S&W?

I too need to get my hands on a Police Positive. While Smith prices keep going through the roof, Colts are still a bargain.

First time for this but no pictures - no digital camera.

I just got the Ruger MK 1 Target that Northeast Trading was selling on consignment. Seems to be in good condition with normal wear for a gun probably made in the late '70's or early '80's. Was easy to get apart but took me longer to get back together than I expected. Yes, I know that these can be a drag to put back together but this one was being difficult. It will be shot this weekend to see how it goes. Funny, both of the .22's I own are Ruger's - I have a 10/22 that I've had since 1981. Strange how that happens! [wink]

Joe R.

Finally got off the fence.

Hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee she is, my bran spankin' new Savage 93R17-BVTS ( With Simmons 3-9X 40 'scope. ) [smile]

Went up to the Dick's in Keene for this one. The lead salesman in the Lodge, Rob really went the extra mile for me. He set one with the dark stock aside for me at my request and when I commented about the 'scope feeling too low for me mounted a taller set of Millet rings so I could check out the difference (Of course, I went with the more comfortablle fit and got the taller rings.)

NewSavage.jpg

There's another story about some rust on the bolt and a nicked crown but, let's just say I left with a perfect rifle with the stock I wanted. [wink]

I just HAD TO stop by the range and try this baby out on the way home. A couple sighters at 50 yards to roughly zero the glass and then I put five rounds into a about a 1 1/2 " group at 100 yards off an improvised rest. (My range bag.)

Of course I didn't have my camera, just the cell phone so I'll have some better picks up in a while.

Me so happy. [smile]

1903 Rock Island Arsenal..apparently one of the last 500 built. One more hole filled in the collection.
.jpg[/IMG]

Congratulations for this nice piece of history.

Now on to my catch of the day: A 1903, which fills the 2nd last hole of the FN Browning line in my 'lil collection.
Now I can finally make use of the stack of Norma 9mm Browning long
ammo I got last year.
Next stop: FN Hi-Power with tangent sight to complete the line.
1903_1.jpg

1903_2.jpg

1903_3.jpg

1903_4.jpg

1903_5.jpg

1903_6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom