• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No Guns For Pot Smokers

Liquor stores have to verify age , and they aren't scanning anyones ID......

Go to any big dump or urban cup city in MA and it's easy to find liquor stores with ID scanners. Some may or may not log the information but a lot of them are just doing basic consistency checks for security features..

A lot of the stores in Massachusetts utilize armed guards… Ironically they drug test.

I just avoided getting into that industry because I don’t wanna be around it. But if you were to use a firearm on the job it’s likely you would face federal charges. It’s happened But as far as I know no one was charged. But I believe the guard is dead so they can’t charge you when you’re dead..

It’s probably safer to Do almost any other arm guard jobs then be around the pot industry.

I was looking at one of these security jobs at dispensaries. I was actually interested in taking it but you had to be armed and then you had to dispose of all the shit they don’t sell..

I wouldn’t wanna drive around with a pick up truck all stems and leaves.

Given that businesses don't have access to any of the databases of government issued IDs, including drivers licenses databases, there really isn't a reason for an "ID scanner" to be talking to an external or cloud service at all.

The cheap (<$2K) scanners just read the barcode/MRZ and light up green if it is legible, unexpired, and shows an age between 21 and 95. Patronscan also does OCR to compare the front of the ID to tbe barcode (catches modified IDs and some fakes).

I was looking at one of these security jobs at dispensaries. I was actually interested in taking it but you had to be armed and then you had to dispose of all the shit they don’t sell..
????
Is that a dispensary job, or a grow house job?

Given that businesses don't have access to any of the databases of government issued IDs, including drivers licenses databases, there really isn't a reason for an "ID scanner" to be talking to an external or cloud service at all.

The cheap (<$2K) scanners just read the barcode/MRZ and light up green if it is legible, unexpired, and shows an age between 21 and 95. Patronscan also does OCR to compare the front of the ID to tbe barcode (catches modified IDs and some fakes).

????
Is that a dispensary job, or a grow house job?
Both. It’s not something I was pursuing it was just when I was pursuing my other security jobs all the pot stores kept popping up.

Go to any big dump or urban cup city in MA and it's easy to find liquor stores with ID scanners. Some may or may not log the information but a lot of them are just doing basic consistency checks for security features..
Also - just because you got your ID scanned at the entrance of the store, doesn't mean you bought anything.

I don't think firearms ownership is illegal for cannabis users. The 4473 is for purchase, not ownership. If you used medical cannabis in a free state, a firearms transfer could happen f2f with no federal form and thus no perjurious affirmations. Edit, just read the Myers case where they state holding an illegal drug and a firearm is illegal.

Last edited:
Edit, just read the Myers case where they state holding an illegal drug and a firearm is illegal.
if you’re legally in possession of a firearm and pot (in a pot legal state) can the local/state police enforce that? Wouldn’t it need to be the Feds who enforce that? Seems like that would be a pretty unlikely scenario unless the FBI/ATF go knocking on doors of known gun owners who have had their IDs scanned at pot shops w search warrants. If it comes to that, I imagine they will have found a more efficient way to get people into the cattle cars.

Conservatives: "I believe in freedom but not that particular freedom"

oooop

Liberals: "I believe in freedom but not that particular freedom"
This exactly. Dems want to manage my wallet and my tools and Repubs want to tell me what I can do to my own body. f*** all of them.

Last edited:
A lot of the stores in Massachusetts utilize armed guards… Ironically they drug test.

I just avoided getting into that industry because I don’t wanna be around it. But if you were to use a firearm on the job it’s likely you would face federal charges. It’s happened But as far as I know no one was charged. But I believe the guard is dead so they can’t charge you when you’re dead..

It’s probably safer to Do almost any other arm guard jobs then be around the pot industry.

Dispensaries have "stems and leaves" waste?

Did you mean a cultivator?

A lot of these places are both of dispensary and grow
Another difference- in Colorado the weed or flower was in jars, the budtender could open up the jar and let you smell it, and when you decided what to buy they'd remove what you wanted from the jar and measure it out by weight. Good budtenders would make sure the customer got minimal sticks and stems, and might get a nice tip for doing so. The edibles and vapes were all pre-packaged. A dispensary could sell product from an independent grower/producer.

In Florida the dispensary's are not cultivation locations, everything in the dispensary is already pre-packaged and sealed. Customers pick out what they want from a menu and the staff puts it in a bag and collects the money. Florida also requires full integration, meaning the company that runs the dispensary has their own grows and production facilities and they only sell what they produce.

My wife works in a med shop in Florida and she mentioned that the prepacked stuff is hit or miss, they've noticed some is coming out with more than the labled quantity in it and some short.

You wouldn't believe how many VA providers have told me they wish they could prescribe pot.
And they are not forbidden from even discussing the subject!

Basically the same thing w/ the cancer docs and the pediatric special needs community, they know it works better than what can legally be prescribed but can't discuss it due to lack of "research". When I was in treatment I was prescibed Zofram for nausea, Ativan for anxiety/sleep, Opiods for pain (for the surgeries) and a whole host of other stuff. My daughter can be prescribed hard core antipsychotics, SSRIs etc. but can't be given MJ which would most certainly calm her down more.

I’ve only ever Been in two dispensaries… I couldn’t work there at the level of stupid would make you feel like you’re high.

In Massachusetts I guess you can’t open the jars to let someone see it or smell it unless you throw it out at the end of the day?

I don’t even wanna try to understand laws about that plant. You’d have to read the 400 pages about it, Just read about owning livestock in Massachusetts. Farming is illegal unless you’re growing dope I guess

It doesn’t matter what you do in this state youd lucky to be able to pay your taxes.

My daughter can be prescribed hard core antipsychotics, SSRIs etc. but can't be given MJ which would most certainly calm her down more.

I wouldn't assume that's true.

Some folks, sure.

Or it can also depend on the strain of weed or how it's delivered, or when it's used.

Other folks - it only causes anxiety, increased heart rate, paranoia, *mild* hallucinations, etc. It still may help someone sleep who experiences those effects but otherwise attempting to go about life that way would be worse.

If my anxiety was high or something was bothering me, I would NEVER try to treat it with MJ - that'd be a freakin joke, 100% backwards from anything that'd help. Exercise, sure. A few drinks, sure. And there are a zillion prescription drugs out there that I bet would do it too. But definitely not MJ.

Some folks, sure.

Or it can also depend on the strain of weed or how it's delivered, or when it's used.

Other folks - it only causes anxiety, increased heart rate, paranoia, *mild* hallucinations, etc. It still may help someone sleep who experiences those effects but otherwise attempting to go about life that way would be worse.

If my anxiety was high or something was bothering me, I would NEVER try to treat it with MJ - that'd be a freakin joke, 100% backwards from anything that'd help. Exercise, sure. A few drinks, sure. And there are a zillion prescription drugs out there that I bet would do it too. But definitely not MJ.
Plenty of positive results say you are 100% wrong.

Strains and hybrids can do wonders. Edibles get even crazier.
I personally know people who are doing just this. You’d have no idea dealing with them.
It’s not what you were taught or believe.
I’m sure you’d have no problem popping a Rx cause “doctor” told you versus listening to your body.

Plenty of positive results say you are 100% wrong.

Strains and hybrids can do wonders. Edibles get even crazier.
I personally know people who are doing just this. You’d have no idea dealing with them.
It’s not what you were taught or believe.
I’m sure you’d have no problem popping a Rx cause “doctor” told you versus listening to your body.

I scrutinize anything I "pop" within reason and do at times reject what a doctor wants me to take, ie a cholesterol med makes it feel like I've got arthritis - no thanks.

Yes it works for some. Yes I think it ought to be prescribeable universally. But if my doctor insisted on me taking edibles to combat pain or anxiety, I'd explain I'm very well aware they make either worse for me as that's the truth - and I don't function well on even a low dose...

As a sleep aid or hey let's take an edible, watch a movie over dinner, that's great occasionally. It can have it's use for me. Giving a presentation at work? Oh phuck no - but a couple drinks if I got the jitters does help assure I nail it.

No, weed isn't for everyone. Anyone that's been around it knows that. People freak out all the time after a low 5mg dose of the highly refined edibles we have today. It's one of those drugs where for one person it's calming, another it causes anxiety and worse. Isn't a straight forward universal pain killer like an opioid or something that is universally calming like say Xanax. That's probably why it's been an uphill battle.

I'm certainly no expert, but your post sounds like a propaganda ad for Reefer Madness...

Some folks, sure.

Sorry but you have no idea what my kid’s situation is or what you’re talking about. Yes, I’m very aware there are different strains and what those differences are, the various delivery mechanisms, etc.

Sorry but you have no idea what my kid’s situation is or what you’re talking about. Yes, I’m very aware there are different strains and what those differences are.

Ok fair enough. But when you say MJ would almost certainly calm someone down more - unless it's been attempted with that person I say, it might not, might be worse than other prescriptions. I'd never take it to "calm down".

Ok fair enough. But when you say MJ would almost certainly calm someone down more - unless it's been attempted with that person I say, it might not, might be worse than other prescriptions. I'd never take it to "calm down".
You can say whatever the f*** you want, you still have no idea what you’re talking about.

<edit> I have shared what my daughter does to herself w a few members here, it’s pretty hard core. She’s in a group home setting so we can’t force them to give it to her so for now, she’s not getting it. However we have enough experience w/ her and w/ MJ to have a reasonable belief that it certainly wouldn’t harm her and would most likely calm her down some if administered properly. We know several people in similar situations where it has been effective, just like w/ cancer treatment but where the medical community still won’t even discuss it.

Last edited:
I heard it makes you freak out and start slicing body parts off of other people, plus it makes you a coke fiend after just ONE joint.

I’ve only ever Been in two dispensaries… I couldn’t work there at the level of stupid would make you feel like you’re high.

In Massachusetts I guess you can’t open the jars to let someone see it or smell it unless you throw it out at the end of the day?

I don’t even wanna try to understand laws about that plant. You’d have to read the 400 pages about it, Just read about owning livestock in Massachusetts. Farming is illegal unless you’re growing dope I guess

It doesn’t matter what you do in this state youd lucky to be able to pay your taxes.
Massachusetts general laws chapter 40 section 3.

Farmers friend. Use it to get rid of those regulations.

I heard it makes you freak out and start slicing body parts off of other people, plus it makes you a coke fiend after just ONE joint.

I never said that either. Just that it doesn't work the same for everyone.

My experience - usually the people who really like weed, because it works for them, do not get into other hard drugs. Sure they may drink but more likely so in moderation. I've met plenty who don't drink a drop, with some explanation of why they don't that is probably as equally odd to me as them, when I explain I don't enjoy weed socially.

Powder cocain is still huge in certain circles, those folks tend to drink (not so much in moderation) and will usually pass on weed. Literally like someone taking shots of tequila and snorting a bunch of crap up their nose might say no to a joint and explain the stuff makes them paranoid and causes chest pain. Equally as hard to understand. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to it.

It'd be an interesting study. You have to think it's a chemistry thing.

I never said that either. Just that it doesn't work the same for everyone.

My experience - usually the people who really like weed, because it works for them, do not get into other hard drugs. Sure they may drink but more likely so in moderation. I've met plenty who don't drink a drop, with some explanation of why they don't that is probably as equally odd to me as them, when I explain I don't enjoy weed socially.

Powder cocain is still huge in certain circles, those folks tend to drink (not so much in moderation) and will usually pass on weed. Literally like someone taking shots of tequila and snorting a bunch of crap up their nose might say no to a joint and explain the stuff makes them paranoid and causes chest pain. Equally as hard to understand. But that doesn't mean there's nothing to it.

It'd be an interesting study. You have to think it's a chemistry thing.

Arent you the poster who just a few posts up claimed to have a couple drinks to calm your nerves before a work presentation?

Back
Top Bottom