Panic Buying

I hope it's not "unload the warehouse before we Bass Pro Shop this place".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This upcoming election should almost be like the gun owners version of Y2K. Yet ammo and non-serialized rifle part prices and availability are still very good. Hopefully everyone is stacked at this point and the panic doesn't materialize. Of course I was lulled into this same calm feeling before 7/20.

I've been placing orders for 308/762 over the last few weeks. I've been able to scrounge up 19 m1a/m14 mags off different gunbroker auctions for an average total of 14 bucks a mag. Made out like a bandit on those deals. Still needing to get myself a Socom 16 but getting the ammo and mags are more important now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi,

I think it's already started. Walmarts in NH are out of 22lr.
Bass Pro in Hookset had few boxes left when I was there this morning. And I called them Friday, and was told that they just received a new shipment of 22.s and they have plenty.

From my experience,it always starts with 22lr. I wonder why?

Hi,

Bass Pro in Hookset had few boxes left when I was there this morning. And I called them Friday, and was told that they just received a new shipment of 22.s and they have plenty.

Plenty in Salem NH and Plaistow NH

I was in Salem NH walmart on Thursday, they only had few boxes of expensive CCI mini mags and thats all.
When was the last time you went to Plaistow?
Please let me known, I can go there in next few days.

Thank you

I was in Salem NH walmart on Thursday, they only had few boxes of expensive CCI mini mags and thats all.
When was the last time you went to Plaistow?
Please let me known, I can go there in next few days.

Thank you

Expensive? That's some of the best valued and reliable 22 ammo you can buy. Cabelas wants $8.99 plus tax for mini mags. So $7.47 is a good deal.

Because a shitload of the post sandy-hook shooters are skinflint cheapskate types and the proliferation of .22LR handguns and rifles in the past 6 years has driven up popularity of the caliber as well. Even with all the added production capacity the ammo manufacturers never really did anything other
than meet the demand; that chain of ammo has never had a lot of surplus in it since before sandy hook.

-Mike

I was just spit balling with the online carts - I live in Mass and have little experience with such things.

I laid in 10K of CCI 22 mini mags a couple months back. The only ammo I am 'short' on is Weatherby 300 (I only have 200 rds) - next time I go to Maine, I'll plan a drop-ship to Cabelas.

Not saying if I see a deal on 5.56 or 7.62 I won't buy it either.

I have a qty of each caliber that is my SHTF stash, that qty is never gone below unless SHTF. It is 2000 on most, 100 on the Weatherby as it's >$4 Rd heading to $5 shortly

Last edited:
Hi,

With Sandy Hook, it seemed to be the opposite around here (central MA). .22LR was plentiful for a long time. .223/5.56 dried up fast (or went FR pricey), along with all ARs. 9mm and other popular ammo soon followed. 22 was readily available for a while as people scrambled for handgun and rifle ammo. 22LR just sat on the shelves. Eventually, people realized larger calibers weren't available and 22 started drying up, but not at first

59037.jpg

not to put too fine a point on it...

on some online vendors I noticed 30-60c increase per box of 223. 40c increases in 9mm/40/45. and some 22lr from 6-8c/round now 8-10c.

1~2¢ increase per round of 9/40/45 isn't much, not at the point I'll worry yet. I see more variance between stores for their normal prices.
Found steel 9mm for 16¢, brass for 20¢ and .223 steel for 25¢.

on some online vendors I noticed 30-60c increase per box of 223. 40c increases in 9mm/40/45. and some 22lr from 6-8c/round now 8-10c.

Yep. I think I know which vendor you're referring to. They notorious for raising prices after mass shootings and now with the election coming up fast, I'm sure they'll continue raising prices...

Supply and demand is what it is. If demand goes up, which it will, either price goes up or ammunition becomes essentially unavailable. The big box stores held prices pretty steady, leading to empty shelves.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I suppose. I just noticed when they raised their prices (for a few weeks then back to normal), other vendors didn't so I wasn't sure what to think.

Supply and demand is what it is. If demand goes up, which it will, either price goes up or ammunition becomes essentially unavailable. The big box stores held prices pretty steady, leading to empty shelves.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Yes I know what supply and demand is.
It seems like they both haven't been affected "much" YET.
We will see what happens.
Also we are talking about a particular vendor. Everywhere else seems to be steady still.

I haven't bought factory fmj 9mm, .45, or .380 in over a year (since I started reloading). I have powder, brass and primers stocked up but I could definitely use more bullets before the prices go insane.

Just picked up some more 20 Gauge for skeet from Wally World. While I was there, I got a case of 12Gauge, 300 rounds of 9mm, and 300 rounds of .223. Not stocking up, it's just, I mean, I was THERE, right?

Prices haven't changed, and since this isn't CT, the only paperwork I had to show was that with pictures of dead presidents on it.

Kali is voting on ammo restrictions...

Under Proposition 63, ammunition purchasers would be treated similar to gun purchasers. Before a Californian could buy even a single bullet of any kind, he or she would need to pay a fee of up to $50 and wait up to 30 days to obtain a four-year permit. ...

I have powder, brass and primers stocked up but I could definitely use more bullets before the prices go insane.

I've got quite a few 38 cal bullets to last me a solid 3 years of shooting 357 mag but 9mm not so much. I shoot 9mm the most and having that many bullets on hand is tough due to space and $.

Honestly, I'm not super concerned with bullet availability as there as SO many bullet makers/vendors out there. You'd think that there's enough to keep up with demand but who knows...

Back
Top Bottom