Panic Buying

As MA resident, and lifetime NRA member, I don't even want to talk about NRA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No he and they aren't perfect and I don't have a crystal ball. No of us do. Guarded enthusiasm is a good thing though and maybe the good guys can actually win for once. It's been long enough!

No he and they aren't perfect and I don't have a crystal ball. No of us do. Guarded enthusiasm is a good thing though and maybe the good guys can actually win for once. It's been long enough!

Yup, trump wins is the best thing could happen to the gun owners. After he names a few Supreme Court judges, we could hold on to our guns for at least ten years longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump tends to stand by his friends and delegate management to people he thinks will do a good job. His sons were responsible for "educating" him more on the 2A and he's been talking a lot to Chirs Cox more so than old Wayne, so I think we will get the better of this.

He also spent a lot of time outside the NYC bubble speaking with people during the campaign and that does seem to have changed him as a person. Trump seems to have learned how, why, and what non-urban Americans think, feel, and value. I don't think he will sell out his base. He really seemed to realize how much hope and faith people were putting into him to deliver and how shitty things were.

He started out campaigning mostly as a narcissist stunt and seems to have realized over time that he was actually needed as someone capable to do the most important development job and deal making in the nation.

Last edited:
........He started out campaigning mostly as a narcissist stunt and seems to have realized over time that he was actually needed as someone capable to do the most important development job and deal making in the nation.

Personally, I tend to agree with this analysis. I, like many, wrote him off a couple of times at the start - but over time separated the message from the delivery and stood by him from the primary onward.

Glad the 2a "panic" at the national level has subsided, but it did nudge me along from buying just what I was going to shoot that day into a slight buffer. I have also decided to start reloading; not due to fears of shortages, although it should help to bridge any future unfortunate events, but to extend the amt of shooting I can do for roughly the same cost

What's good on the federal level could lead to backlash and tightened restrictions at the state level. Keep up the buying.

If restrictions do get loosened, buy buy buy before they get locked back down.

NRA has done good and bad. I'm worried about their agenda too.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sorry if I'm replicating somebody's post but I've got to leave in a minute and didn't read the whole thread.

The NRA has called me twice since the election. I didn't answer and blocked both numbers, although I am a current member and instructor in good standing.

I wonder what will become of their fund raising ability now that we have the White House, the HOR and the Senate. Maybe state by state issues? There is that CA debacle and of course MA. I have never given them any money other than my dues and the admission fees for the conventions we have attended. But what will they scare people with now?

Sorry if I'm replicating somebody's post but I've got to leave in a minute and didn't read the whole thread.

The NRA has called me twice since the election. I didn't answer and blocked both numbers, although I am a current member and instructor in good standing.

I wonder what will become of their fund raising ability now that we have the White House, the HOR and the Senate. Maybe state by state issues? There is that CA debacle and of course MA. I have never given them any money other than my dues and the admission fees for the conventions we have attended. But what will they scare people with now?
Maybe you should have answered the phone and asked them, instead of whining here?

They'll just contInue on as usual till the next dem runs..think of all the money theyll save not having to fight tooth and nail for the next 4 years.
They'll have alot more free time to call you.

Side note.....running on a guncontrol platform in America[rofl]

Give it a few weeks, people need to relax. Also, gun stores probably bought some supply at higher prices.

Haven't tracked it that closely...does the "rockets and feathers" model apply here like it does for gasoline? (I.e. sharp upward movement of retail prices in response to an upward tick in wholesale prices/manufacturer costs, but slow downward movement of retail prices in response to a decline in wholesale prices/manufacturer costs.)

Haven't tracked it that closely...does the "rockets and feathers" model apply here like it does for gasoline? (I.e. sharp upward movement of retail prices in response to an upward tick in wholesale prices/manufacturer costs, but slow downward movement of retail prices in response to a decline in wholesale prices/manufacturer costs.)

I have no idea. I also don't know if manufacturers can set some sort of price limit, or if people can negotiate future prices...
I also don't know how gun stores manage their margins.

What's good on the federal level could lead to backlash and tightened restrictions at the state level. Keep up the buying.

If restrictions do get loosened, buy buy buy before they get locked back down.

This. We may only have 4 years. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

If they are smart they will focus on repealing some laws and loosening others. If they push just as hard doing that as they did "They coming for our guns!" they won't have a problem with fund raising.

Usually when the supply fully comes back to the market (when the supply finally starts to outstrip the demand, at least with the gun stuff the prices fall like a rock; but it's not going to go below what the old non shit price was, it's usually just close to whatever the pre-hysteria sticky price used to be. The only way it's going to get lower than that is if the market gets reeeeeely slow or stuffed with supply. With ammo, because of the milsurp stuff that would come in big bursts, ammo was cheap because cheap milsurp depressed the prices. Now that stuff is almost gone, that pretty much never happens anymore. Same thing with guns, too. The demand is such on guns that ever since Obama got elected I've never seen guns or ammo fall below the previous "resting" sticky price after an "event".

I have no idea. I also don't know if manufacturers can set some sort of price limit, or if people can negotiate future prices...
I also don't know how gun stores manage their margins.

Most dealers don't deal direct with the manufacturer. They do business with a mid level oxygen thief usually. Some manufacturers may have MAP policies (minimum advertised price) but that doesn't stop the vendor from selling it lower, etc.

-Mike

Most dealers don't deal direct with the manufacturer. They do business with a mid level oxygen thief usually. Some manufacturers may have MAP policies (minimum advertised price) but that doesn't stop the vendor from selling it lower, etc.

-Mike

I wouldn't call then oxygen thieves. It's easier to deal with 10 suppliers than sell direct to thousands. But, I don't know enough about the business to comment on it.

e0dfe5dc40ba8063293d8a42e5067d97.jpg

& Buy the Ammo!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shot over 1200 rounds this weekend. Turns out I didn't have enough ammo. Back hunting.
Walmart on the wha back had some
CCI mini mags but a limit of 3. I snagged those.
8000 to go.

One of my favorite history lessons to give to moonbats. Especially since bernie and granny warren have started talking about getting "back to the roots" of the democratic party.

I think Hillary has already beat them there (she is racist and thinks she's "better" than the "little people"). And, it's kind of hard to figure out a Jewish anti-semite, but he won't be the first. Either that or that haven't figured out the real roots of the Democratic party.

In other words, they said they want to bring back slavery and racism, and never knew it. What they meant was to represent the working poor and middle class, but that came later, it isn't the roots.

I officially have to stop ammo shopping/looking, I found another deal on 308 Gold Medal 168gr for $1/Rd (Cabelas normal price is over $1.30).

I get curious, and 'just take a peek' and before I know it I'm hitting the bid/buy button.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call then oxygen thieves. It's easier to deal with 10 suppliers than sell direct to thousands. But, I don't know enough about the business to comment on it.

I understand the logistics argument, I really do. I just generally hate them because they don't really add value to the product at all, and the only functional thing they do is make the product cost more than it should by adding fluff and playing games with inventory.

The mids suck so much that FFLs that have a lot of cash on hand will front huge sums of money just to work around those shitbirds at least when it comes to buying guns and ammo. When a buyers group has a 50K or greater buy in, and a dealer that can afford the buy in slams down on that button like using a fist of an angry god, you know there is something wrong with the distribution system. You want to know why the handful of shops in the northeast region that have drastically lower ammo prices have low ammo prices? It's not simply because they set a lower margin- it's because I would bet pretty much anything they used buyer groups to get that ammo instead of a mid. The difference in cost between the two is pretty dramatic.

I just generally loathe that part of the industry like the same way I think that things like credit card processors, most car salesmen, and telemarketers are the most worthless things on the planet. They don't add much value, they just exist as a venue for people to farm money off of others while doing pretty much nothing. Or maybe I have it all wrong and another way of looking at it is they exist because manufacturers and (to a lesser extent, but still there) dealers are too lazy to do the things the mids do - so the mids are not really the problem just a symptom of another sort of malaise. I guess I can't entirely blame the distributors for capitalizing on that- it's smart business.

-Mike

I officially have to stop ammo shopping/looking, I found another deal on 308 Gold Medal 168gr for $1/Rd (Cabelas normal price is over $1.30).

That is a smoking good deal for that at todays prices! I remember when I used to buy that for $15/box but those days are long gone.

-Mike

I understand the logistics argument, I really do. I just generally hate them because they don't really add value to the product at all, and the only functional thing they do is make the product cost more than it should by adding fluff and playing games with inventory.

The mids suck so much that FFLs that have a lot of cash on hand will front huge sums of money just to work around those shitbirds at least when it comes to buying guns and ammo. When a buyers group has a 50K or greater buy in, and a dealer that can afford the buy in slams down on that button like using a fist of an angry god, you know there is something wrong with the distribution system. You want to know why the handful of shops in the northeast region that have drastically lower ammo prices have low ammo prices? It's not simply because they set a lower margin- it's because I would bet pretty much anything they used buyer groups to get that ammo instead of a mid. The difference in cost between the two is pretty dramatic.

I just generally loathe that part of the industry like the same way I think that things like credit card processors, most car salesmen, and telemarketers are the most worthless things on the planet. They don't add much value, they just exist as a venue for people to farm money off of others while doing pretty much nothing. Or maybe I have it all wrong and another way of looking at it is they exist because manufacturers and (to a lesser extent, but still there) dealers are too lazy to do the things the mids do - so the mids are not really the problem just a symptom of another sort of malaise. I guess I can't entirely blame the distributors for capitalizing on that- it's smart business.

-Mike

Heh, I 100% agree with your analysis except at the end I go "Well thats just how the world works Sport!"

The work I do is the exact opposite process. Big Fish buying stuff from small fish, they put a processing company in the middle. There are companies which from shear force of size/operation just do not want to deal with the "pocket change" transactions/purchase orders. The comical part is when the Big Fish needs something urgently and they physically cannot jump out of their own way because they are pushing everything through a purchasing company which means:

They want something
They pass Info to Purchasing Company for RFQ
PC sends us RFQ
We send quote to PC
PC sends their quote wrapped around our stuff to Big Fish
Big fish gets all signatures and issues order to PC
PC issues order to us

Every step of the Purchasing Company involves it sitting on someones desk till they get to that "batch" to process.

When company buys direct it consists of:

They pass Info to us for RFQ
We send quote to Big Fish
Big fish gets all signatures and issues order to us

That in itself means 1-2 WEEKS are cut off the purchasing cycle.

For individual small fry stuff its fine because it can take MONTHS to get all the paperwork in place to get paid directly.

Think of it like a credit card vs. writing a check for every single thing. It is way easier to write 1 check to CC at end of month vs. checks for stick of gum and soda you buy.

I doubt a company really wants to chase down this and that shop for payment on the 10 boxes of ammo they bought last month, but having X amount of distributes is easier to handle. Its stupid and wasteful when it breaks down but distributors/resellers are just a fact of life.

Last edited:

I get curious, and 'just take a peek' and before I know it I'm hitting the bid/buy button.

CMP for $0.98/Rd shipped iirc for Gold Medal Match.

Back
Top Bottom