Rant: the move out of Mass post

We have a lot of liberal arts colleges in this state full of liberal arts students being indoctrinated (I mean taught) by free loving hippies who can't do anything productive in society. Who then go on to teach in our public schools, become political activists or run for public office.

Did you think this state could be conservative?

Mass.

+1. "Never give up. Never surrender." - Jason Nesmith, Galaxy Quest

It`s got nothing to do with surrendering. It`s cutting your losses. A Tactical move to a better defensive position. Move from the low ground to the high ground.

Ask yourself one question?
If they take away all the guns from lawful gun owners, will they still be as cheap and easy to get on the street as they are today?

I was talking to someone the other day that said for a few hundred bucks he could get a gun on the street by noon time.

Damn! Its so much harder and more expensive to be a law abiding citizen![grin]

I plan to leave Mass some time in 2009, and am fortunate to be in working for a company that will likely pay my relocation to another of their sites.

I am by no means leaving simply because of Mass's attitude toward lawful citizens exercising their consitutional rights. While I am a Mass resident I will call and write my lawmakers on those issues about which I feel strongly (2A rights being among them) and when I move I'll do the same thing in my new residence.

Several months ago someone put up a post with the observation that there are relatively few gun owners willing to take the time to call, write, etc. to support our cause. It's the same with every issue (taxes, capital punishment, abortion, etc.) and I'm sure it's the same in other states. I'm not naive enough to think life will be a bowl of cherries when I get somewhere else, but at least I'll have a new set of things to rant about [smile]

I am considering a move to Southern NH since I work about 20min from the border. A couple people in my office live in NH and work in MA, and I guess the commute isn't too bad. I haven't looked into apartments up there yet, but I was more kind of thinking for when it becomes time to buy a house.

Agreed, if not for the taxes, the traffic, the A-holes, the gun laws, and the cost of living, it would be a great place to live! [wink]

You know it is funny, some relatives of mine just moved to Canaan, NH. They were completely shocked by the way life is up there. Everyone is so friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you out.

They asked a neighbor about building permits and what not, the quote he got from the neighbor was "This is Canaan, NH, we don't have laws!" You want to start a business in your house go ahead, sell used cars, raise horses in the back yard, build a shed...have fun. This same guy also told them “the keys to my skid steer are in it if you ever need it.”, this was all on their first meeting. I could go on about the local business and town government (no RMV among things) but you get the picture, just a completely different place then down here.

Ahhh freedom!

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

K. Rogers

Freedom

You know it is funny, some relatives of mine just moved to Canaan, NH. They were completely shocked by the way life is up there. Everyone is so friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you out.

They asked a neighbor about building permits and what not, the quote he got from the neighbor was "This is Canaan, NH, we don't have laws!" You want to start a business in your house go ahead, sell used cars, raise horses in the back yard, build a shed...have fun. This same guy also told them “the keys to my skid steer are in it if you ever need it.”, this was all on their first meeting. I could go on about the local business and town government (no RMV among things) but you get the picture, just a completely different place then down here.

Ahhh freedom!
It`s gret if you live and work in NH. If you live in NH and work in Mass. to get the double whammy. You have high property taxes and you have to pay Mass. income tax.

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Ken

Exactly! The only reason I stay is I like my house and area I am in, am not sure where I would move to (it wont be north), the GF is not as mobile as I am in terms of work, and most of my family lives here. No single issue above would prevent me from leaving, but together, it's enough to keep me here....for now.

It`s gret if you live and work in NH. If you live in NH and work in Mass. to get the double whammy. You have high property taxes and you have to pay Mass. income tax.

The property tax thing all depends on where you live and what kind of house and land you buy. You can get around the property tax dilemma, although living there and working here does make it tougher.

It`s got nothing to do with surrendering. It`s cutting your losses. A Tactical move to a better defensive position. Move from the low ground to the high ground.

"Always stand on principle, even if you stand alone" - John Quincy Adams

I will never give up and never surrender. Like the Appleseed Program, I try and convert one at a time by bringing them shooting. You can't reason with moonbats, but I keep trying and will not give up.......

The high property tax in NH is a myth. Only a few towns are higher than the comparable MA towns. Remember the NH town .govs are a lot smaller than their MA counterparts.

Here are some 07 rates.

Rindge 18
Wilton 15
Wolfboro 10
Wakefield 9
Sunapee 13
Sandwich 10
Moultonboro 7
Meredith 11

There are some towns that are pretty high I assume it's because they have larger police and fire depts that take up a good amount of the town budgets.

There are some towns that are pretty high I assume it's because they have larger police and fire depts that take up a good amount of the town budgets.
Interestingly there is almost a direct reverse correlation between latitude and tax rate. [shocked]

If the entire taxable total of the town goes up the rate should go down, unless the budget grew a ton.

My tax rate is 10.98 and they raised the value of my home this year.

Not to mention your $300K house would probably cost you 220-240K in NH.

Which would be about a $600 annual increase if you moved to my town which has a high rate.

Not to mention your $300K house would probably cost you 220-240K in NH.

Which would be about a $600 annual increase if you moved to my town which has a high rate.

Actually, the guy I bought my house from had a new one built in MA for a little less than I bought mine for, but it's HUGE and has a ton of land.

In NH, aren't there also wide differences between the public schools
in each locality? I've heard that some towns have "better" schools
than others- with a corresponding higher tax rate. (better of
course being a subjective term... some schools may have programs
one's kids don't need/use/etc.... )

-Mike

The high property tax in NH is a myth. Only a few towns are higher than the comparable MA towns. Remember the NH town .govs are a lot smaller than their MA counterparts.

I hear people whining about it all the time- but the strange thing
is the whining is never from an NH person. [laugh] People just
simply refuse to believe things like "tax burden index" etc, which
show NH very close to being the "best" in the nation in terms of
overall tax burden, which includes RE tax and the like factored
in. I'm guessing the denial is based on the old "if you tell a
lie often enough it will become true" and 10 bucks says that
myth was started by a bunch of MA liberals who don't want to
concede the drastic differences in government efficiency.

Then this doesn't even start to address the money one saves on
sales tax and car insurance. Owning more than one vehicle in NH
is WAY more feasible than it is in MA, etc. Rates are almost
half of what they are in MA, maybe less. If one has a couple of
cars or more in their household, you could easily save a lot of
money.

-Mike

Last edited:
If Mass were otherwise a paradise, I'd stay, but my take on Mass is...

The climate sucks. It's cold and wet 9 months out of the year. The chemical reactions required by life require sunshine and warmth. We don't get enough of it here.

Most of the good jobs are in metro Boston, but it's hard to afford living in metro Boston, so people move out to the rural areas. Now gas is $3.00 a gallon and the highways are clogged for a 60+ mile radius.

It's a welfare state. I don't mind rescuing people who through no fault of their own fall upon hard times, but sh**, I'm tired of breaking my back to pay for lazy ass people who work the system for free handouts.

People say, "we have great sports teams." Yeah. Great. STFU.

And as somebody who has spent a good amount of time in Georgia and South Carolina. Life is slower, people are sweeter, and people are every bit as smart and as stupid as you can find up here in Boston. Mass. doesn't corner the market on either.

I'm stuck here. I wish I could move. I love the South. Mass. blows chunks. I learned this about 10 years ago. If you can get out of here, do it. Do it now. Before you end up with your butt anchored to mound of muck stained ice piled on a roadside.

The South has just as many problems. If life is tough where you love the only way around it is to stand up and fight for it. The Pilgrims we all regard so highly thought they were going to get something pretty special when they got here, but they were running away from their problems too. All you people who decide that its better to cut and run, almost inevitably take your problems with you. Like any Third World Nation, the brain-drain hurts. The same is true for real patriots and real outdoorsmen. If you leave, you only sacrifice your neighbors. Time for you good folk in Mass to step up and take back what is rightfully yours. Don't let Mass become the shining example of "only criminals will have guns." That's a scary thought unto itself.

In NH, aren't there also wide differences between the public schools
in each locality? I've heard that some towns have "better" schools
than others- with a corresponding higher tax rate. (better of
course being a subjective term... some schools may have programs
one's kids don't need/use/etc.... )

-Mike

This is true. I happen to live in one of the higher-level districts. My property taxes are phenominal. My property taxes went up $1500 this year. [angry] Living in NH is only great if you are buying goods like cars and other toys. Your home is assessed with a predetermined percentage already destined to the school system.

Now let's also note that I used to live in Townsend, MA. I bought here in NH because its where my career took me. My personal opinion (and I am no accountant by any means), is that Mass has all the taxes that NH has a vice-versa. The diff is that we have to pay for it all in a lump. Mass folks get a little scraped off each time they buy something. [hmmm]

Gee. And I was pissing & moaning about how anti-gun the politicians of So ME were... Ten years in NE was more than enough, and I'm very glad I got out in Sept.

ME, MA, NH VT or CT; it really doesn't matter, they are all too leberal and anti-gun.

Back
Top Bottom