• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RMR, optic, Red Dot for a Glock?

The holosun 407k is a 6 moa and 50K hours
They are coming out with a 507 competition 2moa dot, with 8 moa ring, 20 moa ring and 32 moa ring. You can stack the 2moa dott with 8moa ring. I would have rather a 8moa dot, but it should be an interesting sight.
Slapping that puppy on my 34 as soon as available.

OP really just needs to try as much as he can especially for dot size. No idea what might work well for his eyes. Should also try them both outside and in low lighting.

I use 3.25 rmr and 3.5 acro because I don’t know any better…
No, it's because according to @Supermoto, you're a larper if you run a 3MOA dot on a carry gun. Dude has a serious case of "stickupmyazz".

I asked why is a 2 or 3 MOA dot better for EDC.

Not why sales are good.

Sales are good because 3MOA seems to be what is offered the most, but that doesn't mean it is a good option.

So, why is a smaller dot better for fast target acquisition?

You typed this:
It's not. It's better for accuracy. Speed and accuracy are mutually exclusive in shooting. Competition isn't real life. Not all situations you will encounter with your EDC are within 10 yards. 6MOA dot at 50 yards is approx. 3" 3MOA dot at 50 yards is 1.5".

"Autopsy results also revealed the suspect was hit eight times from about 40 yards away. Police say Dicken fired 10 rounds. "

Which would you rather have in this 40yard shoot? A 6MOA dot or a 3MOA dot? Which is more accurate? Which is faster? Why would speed here be more important than accuracy? Yeah, sure the default answer is use what you train and train what you use. I'm not debating that. I'm also not debating how a 6MOA dot is faster to use for competition or close in defensive shooting. I chose the 3MOA dot on my G17 because I want a well rounded optic and I like smaller dots for accuracy. If I was shooting steel comp or ISPCA, I would use a 6MOA dot. Really that simple. I also don't EDC my G17, and must be a larper so...

Slapping that puppy on my 34 as soon as available.
yep, the 2/8 switchable setup will probably be nice.
i am just not sure how will 8 moa ring work with an astigmatism, but, will see. 32moa ring was not too great.

Are you shooting targets smaller than 3" at 50 yards?

Top of a bowling pin is about 1.5 inches; shooting that at 31 feet.
Outlaw match I shot January 7th had a 3" steel at 25 yards, one shot allowed.
Rifle/Pistol match I shot 1/3 had two steel poppers at 100 yards, each approx 14" high by 3" wide. I shot that match in pistol only division.

I'm not in this thread to argue, just saying what's working for me. Might work for someone else, might not.

No, it's because according to @Supermoto, you're a larper if you run a 3MOA dot on a carry gun. Dude has a serious case of "stickupmyazz".

It's not. It's better for accuracy. Speed and accuracy are mutually exclusive in shooting. Competition isn't real life. Not all situations you will encounter with your EDC are within 10 yards, an optimum range for a larger sized dot. 6MOA dot at 50 yards is approx. 3" 3MOA dot at 50 yards is 1.5".

"Autopsy results also revealed the suspect was hit eight times from about 40 yards away. Police say Dicken fired 10 rounds. "

Which would you rather have in this 40yard shoot? A 6MOA dot or a 3MOA dot? Which is more accurate? Which is faster? Why would speed here be more important than accuracy? Yeah, sure the default answer is use what you train and train what you use. I'm not debating that. I'm also not debating how a 6MOA dot is faster to use for competition or close in defensive shooting. I chose the 3MOA dot on my G17 because I want a well rounded optic and I like smaller dots for accuracy. If I was shooting steel comp or ISPCA, I would use a 6MOA dot. Really that simple. I also don't EDC my G17, and must be a larper so...

Speed and accuracy are not mutually exclusive. You want as much of both as possible.
40yard shot, on a moving target with multiple shots. 6 moa all the way. The dot is easier to track

It's not. It's better for accuracy. Speed and accuracy are mutually exclusive in shooting. Competition isn't real life. Not all situations you will encounter with your EDC are within 10 yards. 6MOA dot at 50 yards is approx. 3" 3MOA dot at 50 yards is 1.5".

Have you ever shot at center mass on a human size target at 50 yards?

I will take the 6 or bigger dot. All day.

Quick shot, not stand there and spend 10 seconds aiming.

Top of a bowling pin is about 1.5 inches; shooting that at 31 feet.
Outlaw match I shot January 7th had a 3" steel at 25 yards, one shot allowed.
Rifle/Pistol match I shot 1/3 had two steel poppers at 100 yards, each approx 14" high by 3" wide. I shot that match in pistol only division.

I'm not in this thread to argue, just saying what's working for me. Might work for someone else, might not.
But is it Chinese? [rofl]

Group field trip to a range? OP gets to try lots of sights and everyone else gets to compete. I’m on Team Larper.

Have you ever shot at center mass on a human size target at 50 yards?

I will take the 6 or bigger dot. All day.

Quick shot, not stand there and spend 10 seconds aiming.
Yes. Depends, see my other post. Don't need 10 seconds. Also don't need a stop watch...

So, for arguments sake, you're saying in the situation I posted, you'd be more comfortable with a 6MOA dot than a 3MOA dot? I would want the more accurate optic, and that is the 3. Some folks can probably hit more accurately with a 6MOA dot at that distance than me with the 3. I'm fine with that too... I don't have the time to shoot competitively and do the amount of shooting I'd like to be doing. Maybe that will change in the next year or two as I get more free time.
Speed and accuracy are not mutually exclusive. You want as much of both as possible.
40yard shot, on a moving target with multiple shots. 6 moa all the way. The dot is easier to track
Not debating the 6dot is easier to track. I agree. I agree speed and accuracy are important to train. I am also saying the faster I shoot, the less accurate I am. I'm not against a 6MOA dot, I'm fine with a 3 turned up...

Last edited:
But is it Chinese? [rofl]

They're Trijicons - I'm given to understand from my echo chamber that parts of them are made in China.

I've got nothing bad to say about Holoson. Seen a couple, and read a bit about them, but I've never used one.
My Burris FastFire 3's work fine on my .22's - I wouldn't dare put them on my 9mm or .45's - I'm sure they would break.

They're Trijicons - I'm given to understand from my echo chamber that parts of them are made in China.

I've got nothing bad to say about Holoson. Seen a couple, and read a bit about them, but I've never used one.
My Burris FastFire 3's work fine on my .22's - I wouldn't dare put them on my 9mm or .45's - I'm sure they would break.
I know. You posted they were Trijicons previously. I was being "funny"...

Not debating the 6dot is easier to track.
mike has his beretta on SRO with 5moa. my shadow 2 is on SRO 2.5 moa.
the factual difference when it is lit properly is negligible. he still likes his better, as he does steel plates. i like mine better, to hit said 12" steel plate at 100yds away.

different disciplines, different equipment. i still remain at opinion that the 2/3 moa is more universal than 6, but, to each their own.

i just got triggered by a 12-16 moa shit, as it is just something totally else. :) but the opposition slithered back and retreated to 6 moa I never had any beef with. :)

the factual difference when it is lit properly is negligible. he still likes his better, as he does steel plates. i like mine better, to hit said 12" steel plate at 100yds away.

different disciplines, different equipment. i still remain at opinion that the 2/3 moa is more universal than 6, but, to each their own.

i just got triggered by a 12-16 moa shit, as it is just something totally else. :) but the opposition slithered back and retreated to 6 moa I never had any beef with. :)
Meh, I get it. I had a hair across my azz about buying China. Some folks don't care. I can't stand those bastards. We all have our windmills to tilt...

We are talking about EDC here.

The only reason steel was brought up is because shooting fast at several 10" and 12" plates is more realistic than standing there and take a shot every few seconds to paper.

Your 100 yard shot experience is irrelevant. No one is saying a 6 MOA dot is better for 100 yards

The only reason steel was brought up is because shooting fast at several 10" and 12" plates is more realistic than standing there and take a shot every few seconds to paper.

Your 100 yard shot experience is irrelevant. No one is saying a 6 MOA dot is better for 100 yards
If you read the particulars of the shoot I posted, the shooter took 10 shots over 15 seconds at approx. 40 yards. He hit 8 out of 10. That's one shot per 1.5 second... from a stationary position, likely supported (if he found cover first). How much more "realistic" do we need?

If you read the particulars of the shoot I posted, the shooter took 10 shots over 15 seconds at approx. 40 yards. He hit 8 out of 10. That's one shot per 1.5 second... from a stationary position, likely supported (if he found cover first).
I read that, it was good shooting.

I would take a 6MOA any day over a tiny 2, 2.5, 3 MOA.

For every self defense story you post of a shoot happening at 40+ yards, there are several more that happen a lot closer.

But I guess if we dig enough we can all find that one case that supports our argument.

Holosun SCS.

Who cares about the china stuff. Everyone is typing it on their made in china phone, laptop, or tablet while sitting there in their tightie whites that are also made in China
Amen comrade!

Boxer briefs, made in Vietnam. PC with processor and graphics chips made in Taiwan. So, no, not everyone buys stuff made in China... honestly, the level of skin flinting to buy tightie whities made in China is hard core.
NES on a Monday: Trump rocks!
NES on Tuesday: I buy Chinese!

[rofl]

I read that, it was good shooting.

I would take a 6MOA any day over a tiny 2, 2.5, 3 MOA.

For every self defense story you post of a shoot happening at 40+ yards, there are several more that happen a lot closer.

But I guess if we dig enough we can all find that one case that supports our argument.
It's a compromise. You're comfortable with a 6MOA dot for any range you feel you would have to engage. I prefer not to cover up the target with a big, red blob. Yes, I know, it's only 3" at 40ish and 1.5" at 25. Funny enough, I can't stand "combat sighting" irons either. I wasn't taught to use them and never felt comfortable with them. I change them out for traditional center hold whenever possible because I want to see as much of my target as possible. For me, it's that simple... and I don't feel like re-training for a new hold. Reality is we don't get to determine the engagement distances. Lots happen close, some may happen further away. I'm not an expert handgun shooter, but accuracy is more important than speed for me, especially when I have to account for adrenaline and other factors.

It's a compromise. You're comfortable with a 6MOA dot for any range you feel you would have to engage. I prefer not to cover up the target with a big, red blob. Yes, I know, it's only 3" at 40ish and 1.5" at 25. Funny enough, I can't stand "combat sighting" irons either. I wasn't taught to use them and never felt comfortable with them. I change them out for traditional center hold because I want to see as much of my target as possible. For me, it's that simple... and I don't feel like re-training for a new hold. Reality is we don't get to determine the engagement distances. Lots happen close, some may happen further away. I'm not an expert handgun shooter, but accuracy is more important than speed for me, especially when I have to account for adrenaline and other factors.
For pistol I usually go with the bigger ones, for rifle I go with the smallest dot. One time I accidentally put one of my pistol RMRs on my rifle and I got to the range and boy did that suck. [rofl]

i know you do. and i know that you will not like nor understand my answer if i tell you - in a situation when/if i ever would need to use my EDC it will be absolutely irrelevant what sights i may or may not have on that gun.
i personally stick to irons only on my p365 and it will not change, ever. if it will be a real deal again and i will need to be on patrol again - i will be with a g34 or g17 glock and SCS or whatever else will be out there with solar strip backup, with stock height irons on the same level with the dot.

Pretty sure John Wick uses an 11teen MOA on his guns.
Dude, does he even RMR?

Honestly, when I watch those movies, it's like every other kill is done at point blank range with zero aiming. The best part of 3 was all the bad guys getting bit in the crotch by Halle Berry's dogs (and Halle Berry).

What size dot did he use?
Doesn't say. All I could find was that the good Samaritan was carrying a 9mm Glock and that he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, so I'm guessing it was a compact or sub-compact. My point in bringing it up was the distance was not typical and the time it took and number of rounds fired.

Yeah no shit, looks like you a Paul73 have something in common
Why so angry dude?

If you read the particulars of the shoot I posted, the shooter took 10 shots over 15 seconds at approx. 40 yards. He hit 8 out of 10. That's one shot per 1.5 second... from a stationary position, likely supported (if he found cover first). How much more "realistic" do we need?
There's more info about that shooting, in the thread about the shooting.

He had a stock G19 with damaged sights from a motorcycle crash.

First four shots were at 40 yards. Next four as 20. Final two at 10.

Back
Top Bottom