So, you want to shoot 3 gun?

The 20 ga really doesn't have significantly less recoil. A gas operated shotgun will have a softer recoil than the inertia(recoil) guns. The Mossberg 930 is an up and coming shotgun, mainly due to it's price. Don't buy a "tactical" model. They just don't do well in the game.

You mean door breacher muzzle brakes don't help?

Can you guys give me more info on your thoughts on shotguns? I'd been considering several models - the Beretta Tx4, the FN SLP 22", or maybe a Benelli M2. The Beretta only comes in 18.5 and has a limited capacity although I've heard that Benelli M2 extensions will fit - and it's based on their field guns so perhaps it takes their barrels as well. The SLP seems like a nice all-around gun. The M2 is expensive and hard to find in the proper configuration.

As for Mossberg, it feels cheap and it has that ugly breacher on it.

Don't buy the mossberg with the ugly breacher. At this point, buy a 28" field gun and get the barrel cut down behind the ports and rethreaded. They're coming out with a version that's ready to go (21 or 24" unported barrel with chokes, mag extension, and opened loading port), but no one knows when. Benny Hill (3 gun shooter and prominent shotgun smith), who helped them with it, has two production prototypes he's been showing around. Benny said the next 30 days recently, but I find that hard to believe.

Do you want to compete, or be "tacticool"? Have you not read any of the previous posts? The Berretta you mentioned has nothing competition related on it. If you want a Benelli, the one to get is the M2 Field. A 21" or 24" will both do what ever you need in a match . The FNH is a good shotgun. Rumor has it that a 24" vent rib barrel model is going to be available. Their team shooters are using this version.
If you want to compete, pay once, cry once.
Sorry for the short reply, I'm in Pa. for a match and working off my IPod.

Do you want to compete, or be "tacticool"? Have you not read any of the previous posts? The Berretta you mentioned has nothing competition related on it. If you want a Benelli, the one to get is the M2 Field. A 21" or 24" will both do what ever you need in a match . The FNH is a good shotgun. Rumor has it that a 24" vent rib barrel model is going to be available. Their team shooters are using this version.
If you want to compete, pay once, cry once.
Sorry for the short reply, I'm in Pa. for a match and working off my IPod.

I read the entire thread. I'm not going for tacticool - I had been looking at the Beretta because I know and trust their gas systems and their build quality above all other manufacturers when it comes to semi-auto shotguns, because I know that it'll cycle with anything I feed it with, and because I suspect its gas system is softer shooting than the recoil-operated Benellis - but the 18.5 barrel was a huge red flag and I still don't know if it takes Beretta field barrels or the M2 extension.

The FNH is looking really good right now and they have the new competition-specific models coming out, and I saw the announcement on the 3-gun ready M2. I'm not gonna be buying in the next 2-3 months anyway so I can afford to wait to see how they're received. For now I will use my Beretta 391.

Pistol grips and rifle sights suck for a lot of the shots in 3 gun. Most people prefer vent ribs and traditional stocks for aerial targets and shooting steel fast.

Pistol grips and rifle sights suck for a lot of the shots in 3 gun. Most people prefer vent ribs and traditional stocks for aerial targets and shooting steel fast.

Not for everyone. It is all what you get used to and how much you want to practice.

[video=youtube_share;U0KDPebLGp8]http://youtu.be/U0KDPebLGp8[/video]

That said, if I were buying a shotgun, I would go with the M2 field with a Comfort Tech stock

...and I thought I could use my Mossberg pump.. looks like I'll be shopping for a shotgun..

You can use a Mossberg pump, a side by side, an over and under, or anything else you have. If you use the Mossberg, practice with it then see if you like the sport.

I think Dan's advice is spot on. "Buy once, cry once" Use the Mossy for a match or two, see if you enjoy it and see what others have that may work for you. Once you figure it out, buy what you think you need.

I wasted a lot of time and a little cash buying and selling to see what would work for me. My hands hold me back so what works for most does not work for me. I finally figured out my 11-87, my Colt AR with a 1-4 Burris XTR and 18" White Oak barrel with free float fore end and a real nice comp, and just about any hi cap pistol (I will probably be using my Sig 226) is all I need to have fun.

I definitely agree with "buy once cry once" ...

It's a 535 turkey gun, I think the full choke is gonna be problem because I can't use slugs in it. I'll have to get a different barrel..

I definitely agree with "buy once cry once" ...

It's a 535 turkey gun, I think the full choke is gonna be problem because I can't use slugs in it. I'll have to get a different barrel..
I'm surprised that shotgun doesn't have choke tubes. If it does, shoot it to get your feet wet, then decide on how far you want to go in 3 gun.

Does the SBEII have any disadvantages over the M2 Field; aside cost? Im trying to sort out what I want and while I dont mind spending a good ammount up front, Id rather not have to do it twice!

Price is a big deal but I don't like the black eagle profile either. The M2 I tried fit me but again, this is If I were buying. I am not. You have to research and find what works for you. I am sure there are others more versed in the good and bad points than I am.

Just noticed this and wanted to make a comment on it.

The 20 ga really doesn't have significantly less recoil.

Au contraire, mon frere. A 20 GA pump has enough less recoil that to me, it's pleasant to shoot. A 12GA pump is an exercise in torture. If you had me shoot one of each blindfolded I'd pick out the 12GA every time. It's the one that would have me saying "F*** that G-dd*** piece of *** has an obscene amount of recoil!!"

A gas operated shotgun will have a softer recoil than the inertia(recoil) guns.
Which is why I say that I wouldn't mind a Saiga 12GA. I've shot one, and the action soaks up enough of the recoil that it's fun to shoot and not torture.

Have you tried really light target loads in a 12? We've used 7/8 oz loads in 12 Ga for Women on Target events and the recoil is just as light as a 20Ga. If you compare typical loads (1-1/8 in 12 and 7/8 in 20) then the recoil is going to be significantly different, but there's a massive variety of ammo available in 12Ga.

If I were you, I'd try to shoot whatever gun you end up considering in both 12 and 20 before you decide.

Have you tried really light target loads in a 12?

Yes. Even tried a compensating stock (the Knoxx SpecOps). Just can't take that recoil. Garand? No sweat. Mosin? Enfield? I'll shoot 'em all afternoon. Hell, I even like Adam's .50 BMG more than I like a 12 GA pump.

Yes. Even tried a compensating stock (the Knoxx SpecOps). Just can't take that recoil. Garand? No sweat. Mosin? Enfield? I'll shoot 'em all afternoon. Hell, I even like Adam's .50 BMG more than I like a 12 GA pump.
Unless you want to shoot Heavy Metal, there is no reason to shoot a pump. A quality recoil pad will make a significant difference. That said, people react differently to recoil, and if you want to shoot a 20 ga, do it.

I'm surprised that shotgun doesn't have choke tubes. If it does, shoot it to get your feet wet, then decide on how far you want to go in 3 gun.

it has choke tubes for one of the barrels. I'll look tonight.
Dan, I might be interested in having you give me a personal "training" session on the ins and outs I really want to go forward and do the 3 gun..

Is there a reason the M2 is prefered over the M4; aside initial cost?
I'm not sure if the M4 will take an extension for more ammo. The hybrid gas/ inertia system adds weight, gets the gun dirtier, and probabaly adds nothing in terms of reliability. As you said, it's much more expensive. The extra funds can be put to ammo for practice, and other items such as ammo caddies or other styles of shell holders.
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Other than slow reloading and being a somewhat dated design, does the 1100 have any particular disadvantages in 3-gun? The Tac-4 model has a 22" barrel and vent rib with fiber optic front bead and holds eight shots - seems to be fairly well equipped out of the box for 3-gun.

If you have one, I'd use it. If you don't, I think the 930 is a better buy. Loading speed has by far the biggest effect on your shotgun scores.

Other than slow reloading and being a somewhat dated design, does the 1100 have any particular disadvantages in 3-gun? The Tac-4 model has a 22" barrel and vent rib with fiber optic front bead and holds eight shots - seems to be fairly well equipped out of the box for 3-gun.
If you have one, use it. If you want to buy a pretty competitive gun out of the box, get the FNH SLP Mk 1. If you can find a used one, a Winchester Super X2 with the cantilever barrel. It's the same gun as the FNH.
Both of those guns will make loading much faster. Of course practice will make any gun faster.

I broke down and ordered a 930 today. Saw a good deal online and went for it. Who knows when the competition model will actually be out. I've heard rumors of release at SHOT. I ordered a non-ported 24" VR barrel from mossberg and the tube from Nordic. The barrel comes with IC, Mod, and Full; any other chokes I should buy?

I broke down and ordered a 930 today. Saw a good deal online and went for it. Who knows when the competition model will actually be out. I've heard rumors of release at SHOT. I ordered a non-ported 24" VR barrel from mossberg and the tube from Nordic. The barrel comes with IC, Mod, and Full; any other chokes I should buy?

I run a LM most of the time, unless its nothing but clays

LM and IM and a case of ammo for patterning.

Back
Top Bottom